NHL Rumors II: Thornton, Goalie Market, Malhotra, Caron and Nikitin
- Updated: June 23, 2014
- Louis-Andre Lariviere of TVA Sports: (via google translate) Sharks Joe Thornton has a no-trade clause and holds the final say on where he ends up, and he may not be going anywhere.
“San Jose is the only team on his list,” informed the agent and the player brother, John Thornton, in an interview with TVA Sports Sunday.
His agent hinted that he could decide to move on “if he feels that supporters do not want him.”
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: Mirtle looks at the goaltender market, and it looks like there are only 10 spots open, with all being backups: Coyotes, Bruins, Flames, Blue Jackets, Stars, Devils, Islanders, Flyers, Capitals and Jets. Notable free agent goalies include: Ryan Miller, Jonas Hiller, Martin Brodeur, Tim Thomas, Justin Peters, Al Montoya, Chad Johnson and Thomas Greiss. Goalies that could be on the trade market: Cam Ward, Antti Niemi, James Reimer, Peter Budaj and Anders Lindback. Notable free agent goalies: James Reimer, Darcy Kuemper, Antti Raanta, Niklas Svedberg, Robin Lehner, Anders Lindback and Michael Hutchinson.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Penguins could look at pending UFA Manny Malhotra to fill out their bottom-six. He’d be a good fourth line center to kill penalties and to be a faceoff specialist. The Bruins have until June 30th to qualify Jordan Caron. If they qualify him, they could look at moving him, as a split could be best for both sides.
- Aaron Portzline: There is no need for the Blue Jackets to cut off the talks between the Oilers and Nikita Nikitin unless they have another team calling about him.
- Jim Matheson: Don’t see the Oilers offering Nikita Nikitin more than a three year deal. The Oilers would likely have to offer Nikitin $3 million or more.
← Previous Story NHL Rumors I: Blues, Leafs, Available Centers, Jets and Byfuglien