NHL Rumors VI: Penguins, Avalanche, Blackhawks and Canucks
- Updated: June 24, 2014
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: It’s sounding like Penguins pending UFAs Matt Niskanen and Jussi Jokinen will be playing elsewhere next season.
“I’ve talked with them,” Rutherford said. “I think both players would like to return. But they’re also coming off good years.
“It’s time for them to hit free agency and get their big contracts. With that being said, we’ll see what happens leading up to free agency.”
Neil Sheehy, Niskanen’s agent “isn’t alarmed” as “this is exactly what Jim had told us privately.”
The Penguins hold the No. 22 pick at the draft and could look move it.
“We will trade that pick if it can help us get a player who can help us immediately,” Rutherford said.
- William DePaoli: The Penguins have NO plans to shop Kris Letang at the draft according to sources. Letang’s no-trade clause kicks in on July 1st.
- William DePaoli: There is a good chance that the new Penguins coach won’t be from a candidate who was one of the eight that were interviewed last week. Very few of those are still in the mix.
- Adrian Dater: Hearing that Paul Stastny could listen to other offers and then circle back to the Avs.
- Chris Kuc: Jonathan Toews said it’s “very doubtful” that there is a scenario that he wouldn’t sign a contract extension with the Blackhawks.
- Elliott Pap: Canucks GM Jim Benning on trying to move up in the draft: ‘We’re going to stay on that going forward. We’ll see where those conversations lead.”