NHL Rumors VI: Del Zotto, Niskanen, Ovechkin, Coyotes and Fayne
- Updated: June 28, 2014
- Renaud Lavoie: The Predators are trying to trade defenseman Michael Del Zotto.
- Josh Yohe: The Penguins have 14 players under contract and about $14.6 million in salary cap space. Sounding like they have four free agent targets.
- Ken Campbell: Penguins GM Jim Rutherford on Matt Niskanen: “Based on the number of defensemen out there (in free agency), he’ll get what he wants.”
- Alex Prewitt: Capitals coach Barry Trotz said that he’ll probably start Alex Ovechkin on the right wing, but will “adjust it as we go along.”
- Sarah McLellan: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said that he still has some lines in the water, but it’s more likely that something wouldn’t get done till next week. Maloney added that getting a center or two via trade or free agency would be a priority. After they bought out Mike Ribeiro yesterday, about 10 teams called with potential ideas.
- Adam Vingan: Capitals GM MacLellan on trade talk: “There were a few things we pursued and they fell through. We didn’t get it done.”
- Rich Chere of NJ.com: Mark Fayne is unlikely to return to the Devils next season. He’s getting interest from teams, including the Oilers.
“All I’ll say is it’s still open. Obviously other teams have inquired about Mark,” Fish told The Star-Ledger Friday. “His preference is to come back to New Jersey, but we’re getting closer to the (July 1 free agency) deadline.
“You never say never and it’s obviously up to Mark. But at this point we haven’t heard from Lou (Lamoriello) and we’re getting closer. Then it would take on a life of its own. Mark is hopeful that he could remain in New Jersey, but it looks less likely.”
GM Lou Lamoriello still plans to talk with his agent.
“We’re going to talk to him. We certainly have to keep things within reason, but we’ll talk to him and see where it goes,” Lamoriello said.