NHL Rumors V: Penguins, Wild, Oilers, Jets, Red Wings and Avalanche
- Updated: June 30, 2014
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said they have four primary UFA targets for Tuesday. They will go with their younger defensemen, and spend a little more money up front. The Pens have seven forwards under contract for next season with Brandon Sutter and Nick Spaling as RFAs. They are looking for a winger for Evgeni Malkin and improving their bottom-six. The Penguins are looking at Malkin’s friend, Nikolai Kulemin. The Penguins plan to be aggressive.
“You can always be aggressive,” Botterill said. “Are you going for top-end forwards and defensemen? No. But you can be aggressive going after specific needs. That’s what we’re going to do on July 1.”
Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen won’t be getting new deals from the Penguins.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Multiple sources saying the Wild have reached out the Jarome Iginla. It’s not known if Iginla has interest in the Wild. Iginla would like to return to the Bruins, but they may not able to fit him in. The Wild could look to sign Matt Niskanen.
“We’ve tried to be aggressive if the move makes sense, but there’s times, too, where you need to take what’s there,” Fletcher said. “Sometimes you have to lay off the pitch. You can’t just swing at everything. This summer could be one of those summers where maybe you just accept what’s there and not try to overpursue or push something that may not make you better.”
The Wild want to see if Thomas Vanek would be interested in a short term deal.
- Bob Stauffer: Can see the Oilers looking to bring in another top-nine center, a left winger and another defenseman.
- Ryan Rishaug: Rishaug believes the Oilers have interest in Kyle Quincey.
- Ken Wiebe: Hearing the Jets are among the teams interested in Leo Komarov.
- Adrian Dater: Hearing the Red Wings and Christian Ehrhoff have a mutual interest.
- Adrian Dater: The Avalanche could be targeting Ales Hemsky.