NHL Rumors VIII: Predators, Devils, Senators, Flyers, Niskanen, Bruins and Pouliot
- Updated: July 1, 2014
- Josh Cooper: Predators GM David Poile.
“If we can (sign) a center, that would be a wish list,” Predators general manager David Poile said.
“There’s not a bunch of guys (available) — and I’m not signing somebody for the sake of signing somebody,” Poile said.
Potential free agent targets for the Predators: Paul Stastny, Derek Roy, Mikhail Grabovski, Thomas Vanek and Matt Moulson
Potential trade targets: Jason Spezza
- Rich Chere of NJ.com: The Devils need to go after a free agent forward today. They could make a push for Paul Stastny.
“It was a decision to free up money and potentially have the ability to get a forward which we feel we’d like to add,” Lamoriello explained. “In order to do that, we had to make this move. Also, our young defensemen have to play. So it was a combination of things.
“It was nothing against Volchenkov. There’s nothing he didn’t do for us. It was a very, very difficult phone call. It was really to free up cap space.”
Lamoriello still hopes to re-sign Ryan Carter, Steve Bernier and Stephen Gionta.
- Alex Prewitt: One agent said he thinks that most signings news could be done by 12:30, will move at warp-speed.
- Dan Rosen: “Offer sheets can have a negative effect on market, future of team offering it (picks), relationships, etc. That’s why GMs rarely use them.”
- Don Brennan: Thinking the Senators will make a trade today. Jason Spezza could go to a team that loses out on Paul Stastny or a defenseman for a forward.
- Lance Hornby: Reminder that Flyers are already $200,000 over the salary cap.
- Will DePaoli: The Lightning, Red Wings and Capitals are high on Matt Niskanen’s list. The Capitals think they have a better shot at signing Brooks Orpik.
- Dobber Hockey: Four intriguing players who were not qualified yesterday and have become UFAs: 1. Mathieu Perreault 2. Cory Conacher 3. Michael Del Zotto 4. Jordan Schroeder
- Nicholas Goss: The Bruins are among the teams interested in Radim Vrbata.
- Bruce Garrioch: Five or six team are interested in Benoit Pouliot. The Senators aren’t alone in their interest.