NHL Rumors II: Dmen Options for Red Wings, McCann and the Islanders

• Ansar Khan of MLive: After the Capitals signed Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik at the start of free agency, it appears that Mike Green’s days in Washington could be numbered. The Red Wings are looking for a right-handed, power play QB, and Green would be an ideal fit. The Wings have inquired about Tyler Myers, Jeff Petry, Cody Franson and others.

Green has a year left at $6 million, and wouldn’t cost the Red Wings as much as some of the others. The Capitals currently have eight defenseman and just 12 forwards under contract, with about $1.1 million in salary cap space.

If the Red Wings bring in another defenseman, they would likely want to move out Jakub Kindl, who has three years left at $2.4 million. The Capitals don’t need another defenseman though.

The Capitals may not be in a rush to trade Green. There are about 10 teams that could fit Green’s salary in without having to move out a contract. Green has a no-trade clause.

The Stars could use another defenseman, same with the Sharks.

• Dave Davis of Kuklas Korner: Red Wings reporter Helene St. James was on WGR Sprots Radio, talking about whether the Wings should go after Tyler Myers, Alex Edler or Keith Yandle.

“The {Detroit} defense just isn’t as good as others in the Eastern Conference, much less the West.  I think they need to take a look at somebody in Tyler Myers.  He’s still only 25.  Many of his best years are ahead of him.  He’s got a really appealing contract.  He’s the only guy who can look Chara in the eye… unfortunately, for Detroit’s sake, if you’re going to pick up a franchise defenseman like Myers, or maybe they try to see if they can pry Keith Yandle from Arizona, you’re going to have to give up one of your young players.  I don’t think they would trade Mantha for pretty much anything, but no doubt the other team would ask for someone like Nyquist or Tatar. or Jurco and a pick and maybe another player as well.”

• Vancouver Canucks: Canucks GM Jim Benning on Jared McCann: “Since drafting him, I’ve had 2 or 3 GMs call me who are interested in him. Those conversations weren’t long”
  • Daniel Friedman: There’s talk that the Islanders don’t need to trade anyone before the start of the season. Looking at their depth chart, they kind of have to.

Strome – Tavares – Okposo
    Kulemin – Grabovski – Neslon
    Bailey – Nielsen – Grabner
    Martin – Cizikas – Clutterbuck

Lee, Conacher, McDonald and Boulton

Hamonic – De Haan
    Strait – Visnovsky
    Hickey – Reinhart

Donovan, Brennan and Carkner

Halak
    Johnson

1. Hankbemis

July 8, 2014 at 10:50 am

I wonder if the caps would do a green for Franzen trade. They say green is a part of their plans, but I think they are posturing to get a good return. While the D was the low point for Washington, their offense was atrocious without ovechkin. Franzen could be a great addition.

I wouldn’t give up nyquist, Tatar, jurco, mantha, or sheahan for green. No way.

I would send Tatar, kindl, and a pick to buffalo for myers if possible.

I wonder how high on pulkkinen the wings brass are. Fans will love his willingness to shoot the puck. He seems to sit on the left side waiting for the pass to bury, just like ovi. But he might not be complete enough of a player for the wings. That would be a real disappointment, but I could see pulkinnen being dealt.

2. Parminder

July 8, 2014 at 11:50 am

I think it makes sense to send a center like andersson because Detroit has enough talent in that position for the years to come with or without him and Kindl with a 1st or 2nd.

3. Shifty

July 8, 2014 at 11:53 am

I think Green could be a GREAT fit with the Red Wings. If it wasn’t for so many other teams looking for defense I don’t think the cost would be much either. I think two players and a draft pick would be too much for anyone at this point. Kenny should have held onto those assets instead of going for Legwand. I know I know, hindsight is 20/20 but who really thought Legwand was good enough for what the Wings gave up? Maybe Kindl or one of the guys the wings just signed but I wouldn’t give up anyone from last year at this point. Is it possible to grab Myers and Green?

4. Alex

July 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Pulk should get a look this year if Alfie doesn’t come back. He is a righty with a cannon. Pav started with Hull on his wing and could end his career with Pulk. They both have similar styles (weak skater with a cannon, and get put it where he wants.)

I would do that trade for Meyers instantly if I was KH. I think Tatar will always be a 20g scorer. I love his heart but I think that is all he will pan out to be.

5. Hankbemis

July 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I would guess that the market for kindl as well as andersson is next to nothing. So in my opinion kindl+andersson+1st is not what Washington wants. If you give them kindl he’s likely to be released.

6. GaryMagic

July 8, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I’d wait and see what other teams are interested and if possible, hold out until next year to try and sign him when he becomes a ufa. Then you don’t have to trade away anything.

But if it has to be done this season, start with a second round pick, a prospect dman, and Tatar. That may even be too much for a highly paid player who will be ufa come seasons end. No reason to trade a first unless you can sign him to an extension.

7. Heavy

July 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

As a Wings fan I would only give up Nyquist or Tatar or Jurco for a young, right handed dman with +3 years of term left. Either keep what we have as of now and adjust during the season or sign Derek Morris to a 1 year stop gap. Veteran, righty, defence first kinda guy. Would cost 2 million or less.

July 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Yea, Morris would be good. Tallinder is another I wouldn’t mind. The thing with St. James and Khan is that they’re basically only looking at the higher profile players, like Yandle, Edler, Myers and Green. IMO, yes, they’d be a nice luxury to have, but the way the team is trending, we don’t really need them, at least not as much as we’d need a Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco etc. for when Z and Dats eventually retire.