NHL News: Toews and Kane Get Eight Year Extensions
- Updated: July 9, 2014
The Chicago Blackhawks sign Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane to eight-year contract extensions worth $84 million.
- Darren Dreger: Toews and Kane will each come with an annual salary cap hit of $10.5 million.
- Chicago Blackhawks: Jonathan Toews: I could not be more grateful for the amazing moments and opportunities I’ve been given by the Chicago #Blackhawks. There’s no organization in sports that cares more about the overall experience of their fans and the success of their players.””
- Mike Zeisberger: Patrick Kane: “Playing with the best organization in sports and the best fans in the game is a blessing.”
- James Mirtle: When the contract extension starts in 2015-16, the cap hit could be $75 million. That $10.5 million cap hit is like a $7 million salary cap hit on a $50 million salary cap.
- Jason Gold: The top five salary cap hits in 2015-16 so far: T1) Toews & Kane $10.5 million 2) Ovechkin $9.54 million 3) Malkin $9.5 million 4) Crosby $8.7 million 5) Perry $8.265 million.
- James Mirtle: Jaromir Jagr and Paul Kariya were making $11 million in 1999-2000. “How are stars not worth $10.5-million now, 14 years later?”
- David Alter: The Blackhawks will now have $65.8 million committed to 15 players for 2015-16.
- James Mirtle: “That year, Brad Richards’s contract was 16% of the cap. These Toews/Kane ones will be roughly 14% when they begin.”
- David Pagnotta: ” Solid pay day for Toews & Kane… Based on % towards cap, these deals aren’t as out there as you may think.”
The 26-year old Toews was drafted 3rd overall by the Blackhawks in the 2006 draft.
The 25-year old Kane was drafted 1st overall by the Blackhawks in the 2007 draft.