NHL News: Staal, Mueller, Samuelsson, D’Amigo, LaRose and Marchand

• Chip Alexander: Hurricanes Eric Staal had surgery for a core injury he suffered during offseason training. He should be ready for training camp according to the team.
  • Andy Strickland: The Blues signed Peter Mueller to a one-year, two-way deal. He’ll get $700,000 in the NHL, $250,000 in the AHL with $350,000 guaranteed. Mueller can play right wing and center and would need to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL.
  • Chris Johnston: Mikael Samuelsson is leaving the NHL to return home to Sweden to play with Djurgarden.
  • Rob Mixer: The Blue Jackets re-signed Jerry D’Amigo to a one-year, two-way deal.
  • Chip Alexander: Chad LaRose signed an AHL deal with Carolina’s Charlotte Checkers.
  • Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Bruins Brad Marchand on which NHL player irritates him the most:

“There are a few guys out there that really irritate,” said Marchand, who it should be noted has authored his own adventures in embellishment over the years. “Tomas Plekanec from Montreal…I hate him. I can’t stand him. No, I probably shouldn’t say that. I dislike him very much. Now somebody is going to call and get mad at me tomorrow.”

1. Kman

July 30, 2014 at 9:29 am

Hey Marchand, don’t worry, everyone in the NHL hates you. Not to mention all fans of the game. Maybe not Bruins’ fans though – their heads are wired a little differently than “regular” folk.

2. Shane

July 30, 2014 at 10:12 am

Yes Kman, an entire fan base is not like “regular” folk. Think before typing.

3. Hankbemis

July 30, 2014 at 10:26 am

Uh, I agree with kman…

4. Alexander

July 30, 2014 at 11:28 am

Another classless comment/action coming out of Boston, what a surprise. ..I have a feeling Boston is only going down from here after only a few short years of success. To sustain success in hockey you need to be classy and respectful top to bottom.

5. SnowIsGarbage

July 30, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I don’t remember the last time respect won a Stanley cup …
    Hate Marchand all you want, the guy is good and all 29 other teams would take him if Boston didn’t want him

6. Shane

July 30, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I was merely pointing out that characterizing a whole team by the actions of one player (or a whole group of fans based on the actions of a few) is just stupid… remember the Vancouver riots or Habs fans calling 911 on Chara.

7. Alexander

July 30, 2014 at 4:38 pm

SnowIsGarbage …it is the attitude of an organization that sustains success for long periods of time. Some teams can win the cup and then vanish in the years after. But for a team to win and then continue with their success they need to have class and respect all 29 other teams. Just look at LA, Chicago, and the best of all, Detroit. Boston is a one and done type of club. Their attitude is a disgrace to the hockey world. They do not respect anyone. They thought they deserved the cup just because they were the best in the regular season but they did not respect their opponents and because of that they lost. So yes, in some ways respect can help you win a cup and maintain success

8. Derail

July 30, 2014 at 6:42 pm

LOL. Say what you want Marchand….You guys still lost. No class and sore losers…Pretty pathetic

July 31, 2014 at 8:26 am

As a Wings fan, I’d love him on the team, even though it’ll never happen. I could care less how dirty or classless he is. He can pot 25 goals and not afraid to get his nose dirty. Sign me up. This team lacked that since Shanahan left.

I don’t see the Wings truly contending anytime soon, with or without him. At the very least, it’ll give me something else to cheer for while hoping the kids live up to or exceed their potential, which isn’t a sure thing.