NHL News: Staal, Mueller, Samuelsson, D’Amigo, LaRose and Marchand
- Updated: 07/30/2014
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes Eric Staal had surgery for a core injury he suffered during offseason training. He should be ready for training camp according to the team.
- Andy Strickland: The Blues signed Peter Mueller to a one-year, two-way deal. He’ll get $700,000 in the NHL, $250,000 in the AHL with $350,000 guaranteed. Mueller can play right wing and center and would need to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL.
- Chris Johnston: Mikael Samuelsson is leaving the NHL to return home to Sweden to play with Djurgarden.
- Rob Mixer: The Blue Jackets re-signed Jerry D’Amigo to a one-year, two-way deal.
- Chip Alexander: Chad LaRose signed an AHL deal with Carolina’s Charlotte Checkers.
- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Bruins Brad Marchand on which NHL player irritates him the most:
“There are a few guys out there that really irritate,” said Marchand, who it should be noted has authored his own adventures in embellishment over the years. “Tomas Plekanec from Montreal…I hate him. I can’t stand him. No, I probably shouldn’t say that. I dislike him very much. Now somebody is going to call and get mad at me tomorrow.”