NHL Rumors II: Senators and Sharks

• Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators have seven defenseman on one-way contracts and have Cody Ceci, who plans on making the team. The Senators had promised they would make a trade at some point this offseason and could look to trade from one of their strengths, the blueline. Patrick Weircioch could be option to be moved.

“You can worry about it, but it’s not going to do much good for you,” he said Wednesday at Sensplex. “We’re realistic of the business, and we kind of know what we’re in for. Unless you have a no-movement clause, you’re in play. That’s just the way it is. You’ve got to see if you do get traded, it’s an opportunity, another team wants you. There’s just a lot of great fans here in Ottawa, and my wife and I really enjoy it here.

“We want to continue our stay.”

The Senators know what he can do, but realize that to get something good, you need to give up something good.

• Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: (mailbag) Based on what management has been saying, it wouldn’t be surprising if Joe Thornton loses his captaincy.

Kurz is a little surprised that Tyler Kennedy is still with the Sharks, thought he might have been moved for a draft pick or something.

A contract extension for Justin Braun may be the only move for the Sharks blueline before the start of training camp. Braun’s agent said both sides were going to talk this week.

It’s looking like both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau will remain with the Sharks. If they are to move one, you can’t really expect to get equal value in return.

1. ross

August 8, 2014 at 11:10 am

is it me or does it seem there are a lot of teams that have 7 deference signed to one way contracts? Also I think a lot of teams have an abundance of 3rd and 4th liners under contract. Too many average players right now in the NHL.

2. Lee

August 8, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Never a bad thing to have too many defencemen, with a condensed schedule, back to back games, injuries, perhaps a long playoff run or just to rest a blueliner you will always use more than 10 D per year even from farm team. Same with forwards as well. You need depth nowadays. These average players can come in on a short term basis and fill a role.

3. GP (Hockey Happens)

August 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Equal value for two under preforming playoff flops? What is equal value in that case. Hell the Sharks vastly improve their playoff chances just by getting rid of the two for what amounts to anything.

4. GP (Hockey Happens)

August 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I am surprised Tyler Kennedy still has a job in the NHL, let alone on the Sharks. But Doug Wilson will never admit to a mistake and will keep him around for another season.

5. jared

August 8, 2014 at 5:02 pm

The Sharks are gonna need some serious help with morale. The 2 “leaders” are guys management doesn’t really want around and are too curmudgeonly to accept that it’s time to move on? Yikes. Great atmosphere for the young kids to be around.

6. I_am_I

August 9, 2014 at 12:46 am

Where does all the SJ wants to move Thornton and Marleau talk come from? Don’t they both have shiny new contracts kicking in next season with a full NMC each?

7. Hankbemis

August 9, 2014 at 3:23 pm

That’s what I’m sayin. Marleau + Thornton combined for 146 pts last season. Got new contracts. Lost in the playoffs to the stanley cup winners. 7 game series. Sounds like the media is creating this nonsense. Was anyone asking for Yzerman’s captaincy when the wings were collapsing in the first round?

8. Alexander

August 9, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I think that is because Yzerman didn’t have a tendency to not show up in the playoffs like the other players mentioned do. And when detroit made early exits there were usually due to tremendous performances by the opponents

August 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Wilson hasn’t really named names, but IMO, some of the things he did say made fans and media alike draw the conclusion that those statements were moreso directed at Thornton/Marleau than anybody else on the team.

First Wilson talks of a culture change, and indicates that its time for the younger playerss will take on more of the responsibility, and the older players to move on.

Then he says he wants “players that want to play here, not just live here.” I think that statement is the one that really got the ball rolling where fans/media specifically zero in on Thornton/Marleau.

Plus Thornton’s agent/brother added more fuel to the fire. That is, if what he says is actually true. I don’t think there’s been any direct quotes from him, or anything is on the record. As far as I know, it’s more a case of heresay.

Thornton and Marleau have been scrutinized by fans and media for their leadership for years. For the most part, Wilson has brushed that all off and stuck with his guns, giving them new contracts and NMC’s. That was months before the playoffs even started, and obviously, blowing a 3-0 series lead changed things. Not just blowing the lead, but blowing it after pretty much dominating LA those first 3 games.

10. I_am_I

August 9, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Thanks! That’s a good summary!

Because Thornton’s lack of production in the playoffs isn’t anything new… I assumed SJ knew that before signing the extension. I admit I didn’t watch that series, past my bedtime.