NHL Rumors: Methot, Bissonnette, Isles, Holland and Weber
- Updated: August 10, 2014
- Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen: Senators defenseman Marc Methot is scheduled to become a UFA at the season. They had been talking about a contract extension, but they are at a stalemate, so don’t expect a long-term deal anytime soon. Methot is scheduled to make $3.75 million this season, and has been compared to Brooks Orpik and Matt Carle. The Senators are also talking to pending 2015 UFAs Bobby Ryan, Clarke MacArthur and Craig Anderson. The Sens could look to trade Methot later in the season if they can’t agree on an extension.
- Craig Morgan: Sources saying the Capitals, Wild and Penguins are teams showing interest in Paul Bissonnette.
- Daniel Friedman: Thinks one of the biggest reasons the Islanders should look at adding a defenseman is that he’s not sure you can rely on Lubomir Visnovsky to remain healthy all season.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Peter Holland is almost assured to the make the Maple Leafs out of camp as he would have to clear waivers. He’d likely be claimed and the Leafs don’t want to lose him.
- Ryan Dadoun of Pro Hockey Talk: Dadoun looks at if it would make sense for the Predators to trade Shea Weber. Predators GM David Poile has said he won’t move him.
“We’re keeping him, we’re building our franchise around him,” Poile said in June. He added, “Why wouldn’t we build our team around him?”
Weber’s cap hit is $7.9 million, but his contract was heavily front loaded. He’ll get $14 million for two more years, $12 million for another two, then it drops further. The Preds have some nice young defensemen in Roman Josi, Ryan Ellis and Seth Jones. If the Predators are not a great bet to make the playoffs in the future, why not make the move? Weber seems to be on board with remaining with the Predators and is optimistic with their future, but would more losing change that thought.