NHL Rumors III: Devils, Red Wings, Hayes, Burmistrov and Bissonnette

Ilya Kovalchuk_7752986
  • Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Both Devils GM Lou Lamoreillo and owner Josh Harris say that there has been no thought of bringing back Ilya Kovalchuk. Lamoriello said that Kovalchuk is unable to return before 2018-19.

“I’ll answer that the best way you can. He cannot come back until he is 35. He’s (31) now. You’d never look at someone coming back at 35 when he’s (31),” the GM explained.

Devils Mattias Tedenby was set to play with Lev Praha of the KHL, but will now play for HV 71 of the SEL after Lev Praha ran into financial issues.

• Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings re-signed GM Ken Holland for four more year, and he’ll talk with Mike Babcock soon.

“I talked briefly to Mike yesterday; we exchanged texts. He’s out west,” Holland said. “When he gets back to town, at training camp, we’ll sit down and talk. It’s best that he and I talk about situation when we’re face to face and both engaged in the conversation. So sometime in September, we’ll talk.”

Holland will continue to work on RFAs Danny DeKeyser’s new deal.

“We’ll find a solution. We like Dan a lot; he’s been a real good, young player for us. The hard part is trying to find what’s fair for player and for club. He’s only played 76 games, but he’s a real important part of our team. We’ll get him done.”

• Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald: The Flames are not saying much about their interest in Kevin Hayes, who played with Flames prospects Johnny Gaudreau and Bill Arnold this past season.

“I’ve heard that natural assumption for a while,” said a tight-lipped Brad Treliving on Thursday, offering a series of summer off-season updates from Flames headquarters at the Scotiabank Saddledome. “I see where people would make the connection.

“But at this point, we can’t talk about it.”

Saturday is the deadline for the Blackhawks to sign Hayes before he becomes a UFA.

“We’ll see what happens in the next day or so,” Treliving said. “Obviously, there’s still time for him to sign in Chicago, but that’s something the player would have to decide.”

• Igor Eronko: Jets prospect Alexnader Burmistrov to prosports.ru: “I will almost certainly return to #NHL; next summer will be defining”
  • Dhiren Mahiban: (s/t to Valtteri Kivinen) Paul Bissonnette says on Team 1040 radio that he is close to a deal with a NHL team, but is waiting for a trade to happen before he is able to sign.

1. Hankbemis

August 15, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Well that bisonnette quote certainly is interesting… Any speculation what kind of trade needs to happen? I assume we are talking abt wash caps, or are there other suitors? Is this the mike green to Detroit speculation??? Man if holland sends too much or green is oft-injured, the d is gonna be pissed. But considering they don’t need D and bisonnette is waiting for a trade, that really doesn’t make much sense. Maybe holland is gonna send a griffin or two and a pick or two.

I actually don’t get how that bisonnette quote makes sense. You don’t have to meet cap or roster size requirements for a while, correct?

August 15, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I hope that Bissonnette quote doesn’t spell the end for Mike Green in Washington. He may not be the player he was from 2009-10 and before (or even the lockout shortened season), but he is still better than any current player the Capitals could call up to replace him.

If it is true, it would make sense that he’s waiting for the trade because Mike Green is currently vacationing in Europe for his honeymoon.

August 15, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I don’t think the trade is to accommodate Biz. Unless he’s getting Engelland $$$, Caps should be able to fit him in without having to move anybody.

It could be something bigger, and Biz may have helped confirm what’s been floating around lately. I really don’t know how substantial these are, but there’s rumours the Caps want to clear a bunch of cap space to make a pitch for Patrick Sharp, in a separate trade. No clue what players or which team is involved. Greeen’s name has been tossed around all summer, but it could also be a combination of other players with decent cap hits like Laich and Ward, off the top of my head.

IMO, if there’s any merit to this, that would have to be one hell of a pitch, because I don’t think the Hawks are in a rush to trade Sharp, at least not this year.

August 15, 2014 at 9:28 pm

That’s also if its the Caps that Biz is talking about. They are widely considered to be the frontrunners, though.

5. hankbemis

August 15, 2014 at 10:01 pm

what are the blackhawks supposedly looking for out of a patrick sharp trade? since it’s a cap issue it can’t be many current roster players… a prospect and pick and someone like chimera? or ward? i have no idea just curious if anyone else does.

laich and ward wouldn’t do anything to solve chicago’s cap problem. same with mike green, who actually costs more than sharp.

August 17, 2014 at 7:04 am

I have no clue, I was actually hoping someone on here seen or heard something, because I was pretty skeptical when I saw it on a couple Caps fan boards. As far as I know, no mainstream media guys have come out with anything of the ilk, so its more likely nothing happens.

If there is any smoke to this, though, it’s tough to figure out, because other than Sharp, no other players were mentioned, and the 3rd team involved is a mystery, also. I tried going through some scenarios, but without more specifics, its just too many moving parts for any real logic to dictate as to who goes where and why.

As for the players I mentioned, I was just tossing out names with fairly significant cap hits that a 3rd team may have interest in.

7. hankbemis

August 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

ah. i didn’t consider a third team. that would make more sense.