News and Rumors: Johansen, Leiweke and Bylsma

Ryan Johansen - USATSI
  • Michael Arace of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets training camp starts in 27 days and they still need to come to terms with RFA Ryan Johansen. If they can’t reach a deal by the start of training camp, then it starts to become a problem. It would hurt him, the team, and alienate the fans. Talks have been on and off since July. They are $3 million a season apart on a two-year deal. Johansen is looking for $7 million a season, the Blue Jackets are offering around $4 million per. Johansen camp believes he is one of the top 12 centers in the league and say they can solicit an offer sheet. The Blue Jackets say he’s only had one good season out of three.

• Gord Miller: Speculation yesterday was that Tim Leiweke will be heading back to Los Angeles to head up a 2024 Olympic bid that would include an NFL stadium.
  • Sean Fitz-Gerald of the National Post: Tim Leiweke:

“That’s nice that people are speculating,” Leiweke said. “All I’m thinking about is how I’m going to get this darned training centre done in time for January 2016.” Leiweke, of course, was based in L.A. before moving to Toronto. “Honestly? I don’t even have a home in L.A. anymore — we leased it,” he said. “I have nowhere to live. No office. No job. No money. Nothing. I’m glad everyone already has me placed. I’m very happy. My wife will be ecstatic.”

Leiweke on talk that he’s leaving due to issues with the MLSE board, mainly Rogers and Bell.

“They’re wrong,” he said Friday. “We got $200-million out of our board. You don’t find a dysfunctional board and get $200-million for a training centre, BMO renovation, [expensive Toronto FC additions] Michael Bradley and Jermain Defoe. People don’t understand: We have a good board.”

• James O’Brien of Pro Hockey Talk: Dan Bylsma spoke with Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: He knew right after the loss to the Rangers in Game 7 that it would be his last time coaching the Penguins. Doesn’t sound like Bylsma was in a rush to find a new job and he doesn’t think the Penguins delaying in firing him was to keep him from coaching somewhere else. Bylsma is getting $4 million over the next two years from the Pens.

1. New layout

August 23, 2014 at 10:56 am

Change the sure back :(

2. Nick

August 23, 2014 at 11:59 am

Agreed. I do not like the new site. Too many clicks. Please change it back!

3. Caleb

August 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Give the new layout a shot, its one click to view an article… And I would imagine that the new look will help attract new viewers. This is important if you want this site to continue giving us information every day. You just got to get used to it, I hated it at first but its growing on me.

4. I click this site everytime I'm on the pot

August 23, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Do not like the new site. Old site information flowed more smoothly. When you have to click on an article it does not give the date that it was posted.

5. Ethan

August 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm

What happened!?!?!?!? The site has changed……the information and rumors, how do I find them as efficiently now?

6. Trevor

August 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Site updates look good, I like the fresh new look. Looks much more professional and I agree more people could visit site with updated look.

7. Kovakev27

August 24, 2014 at 7:44 am

Things change man ….

8. Rumors

August 24, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Why does it seem with the new site that there is less rumors going on. Is everything dead right now?

9. Mark Easson

August 24, 2014 at 9:33 pm

The site changed was needed. I’m still not use to it either, 5 years on the previous dated version and over 5000 posts.

In time, I hope people can get use to it. Some will continue to hate it, while others will like it. Yes, the no-click version with 12 posts listed on top of each other was very simple, but it doesn’t work from the business side of things, especially if you want to grow the site. Also, over 40% of users visit the site on mobile, and the old version was not ‘responsive’/mobile friendly.

In the ‘Right Now’ section of the main page, the date is listed above the title. Most recent posts/entries will always be in the top ‘featured/right now’ area. In the lower area where it is broken down into categories, the date is listed below the title.

If only interested in rumors, there is a ‘category’ link in the very top nav bar, one in the right nav area, as well as the under the featured area.

Tweaks have, and will continue to be made.

Content/updates slowed a bit this past week as I was on vacation, plus not much happening this time of year. Two straight days of driving (internet at the hotel last night was not working so couldn’t post today), but I’ve arrived home a short time ago and will be back in the swing of things tomorrow.

Again, I hope you all grow to at least be able to put up with new layout. The content will be presented in the same format as it was before, but with a image and an extra click. We will also be adding more features and coverage through out the year.

• dave

August 26, 2014 at 7:57 am

Your new site is absolutely terrible. Barely works at all now. It was just fine before. Now.I’m going to a different site because this is one of the worst sites I’ve ever used. Please change it back, don’t fix what’s not broken.

10. Dude

August 24, 2014 at 9:52 pm

This is less friendly mobile in my opinion. Harder to follow and more clicking ….

August 25, 2014 at 10:53 pm

this doesn’t work any better in mobile… i don’t know whats going on w. this site any more… give it a twitter like layout… no tweaks plz… complete overhaul from scratch