Rumors II: Bruins, Oilers, Sharks and Maple Leafs

Boychuk-and-Eberle_7613202
  • Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: The Bruins could benefit from moving a defenseman or two. Edmonton media reports that the Oilers could use a defenseman like hometown boy Johnny Boychuk. The Bruins will have trouble re-signing Boychuk to a deal at over $5 million a season. David Krejci, Carl Soderberg and Dougie Hamilton will also be looking for new deals after this season (if they don’t work a deal in-season). If the Bruins are looking to get a talented right winger in a deal, they may have to include Boychuk over defenseman like Matt Bartkowski, Adam McQuaid or David Warsofsky. Haggerty thinks a Nail Yakupov-for-Johnny Boychuk trade could help solve issues for both teams.
  • Regan Bartel: Justin Schultz on contract talks: “It is pretty close. We should have something done pretty soon here.” Schultz on whether he would go to camp without a contract: “I don’t want too. It isn’t something anyone wants to do. I don’t see me going to camp without a deal. I will be at training camp ready to roll.”
  • The Fourth Period: The Sharks haven’t talked to Joe Thorton about waiving his no trade clause, despite teams calling and asking about him this offseason. It’s believed the Sharks would also like to eventually move Patrick Marleau. Multiple sources that are close to the team said they would eventually like to move both if they would approve a move. The Sharks are open to talk trade about them, but nothing is imminent. The Sharks have also looked at trading Antti Niemi.
  • The Fourth Period: The Maple Leafs don’t have a lot of salary cap room, but they would still like to improve their roster. They are expected to resume trade options in the near future. Offseason trade talk included Cody Franson, Nazem Kadri, Joffrey Lupul and James Reimer. It is thought that the Leafs would like to upgrade their top-six, but that may not be easy.

1. E

August 29, 2014 at 9:35 am

Seriously every click you make…..ads…….and you cannot even skip them.

• Mark Easson

August 29, 2014 at 9:40 am

Anyone else having this issue? I’m trying to duplicate issue but not finding any. I’ll block the offending ad if I can get more info.

• Brian

August 30, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I much preferred the barebones previous version of this website. This new fancy version is annoying, more clicking to get to the info we want, and more distractions overall. Just want the latest news, nothing more, nothing less.. and the previous layout delivered that.

2. s

August 29, 2014 at 10:08 am

I’m not seeing any ads pop up.

3. Bob

August 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

Nail Yakupov for Johnny Boychuck?!! That’s funny. I think Joe Haggerty needs to pinch himself as he’s dreaming if he believes there is even a remote chance of that happening.

• Kris Campbell

September 2, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Not in this world. Yak has unknown potential. Let’s see his ability with good wingers. His defensive weaknesses were exposed last year. This year it is likely not the case. That trade scenario made me laugh!

4. jdude oilersfan

August 29, 2014 at 10:45 am

there would definately need to be a first rounder coming back to edmonton if they giving Nail away for a player they will most likely sign for free next summer.

5. I_am_I

August 29, 2014 at 10:48 am

I get no adds either, but I’m running Firefox and Ghostry, block all trackers and add engines maybe E should try that. I can tell you whatis running on the site though, there are 10 things being blocked.

@Bob, I’m tempted to post that trade proposal at hfboards and watch the fireworks, I know Oilers fans will go ballistic.

6. Shane

August 29, 2014 at 11:33 am

I’d take Boychuk over Yakupov… Yak is just going to run to the KHL anyway.

7. E

August 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm

It’s a MN driving drunk ad, it pops up everytime but didn’t now. I am on an iPhone that may be why.

8. ross

August 29, 2014 at 3:09 pm

not an oiler fan at all but to even consider trading away Yak for Boychuk is so ridiculous i can not believe the guy who suggested it has a job.

9. john

August 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Yak for Boychuk is hilarious. If the Yak were to go to the Bruins (so so so unlikely) the Bruins would have to give up a Hamilton or a Krug. Not an aging #3/4 D with one year left on his contract who happens to be from Edmonton. It would be like the Bruins trading Reilly Smith for Jeff Petry. Just because the Bruins trade away young elite potential players (Tyler Seguin) doesn’t mean the Oilers will. Haggerty should put five minutes of thought into his next article, because clearly he put zero thought into this one.

10. Ty

August 29, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I don’t know what Haggerty’s snorting. With the consistency Boychuk put last year, wouldn’t it make more sense to keep him around? Are we trying to make it harder to get deep into the playoffs? We all ready had a young talent that didn’t work out. Lets not cost ourselves a Veteran defensemen in the process. There are plenty of them in the pipeline (probably cheaper to resign than Yak to boot). With Savy’s contract going LTIR, McQuaid, Bartkowski/Warsofsky, Carron combo, would free up more than Boychuk’s contract. Return of a equal (not Carron) prospect and/or draft pick and a bag of pucks. Plus cap’s going up next year.

11. I_am_I

September 2, 2014 at 2:52 pm

See? Everyone hates the proposal:

Oilers fans: Yakupov is a first overall pick with unlimited potential. Boychuk is a old second pairing defenseman.

Bruins fans: Boychuk is a solid guy that you need in the playoffs. Yokupov is a flight risk, can’t play defense, isn’t what we need, has a bad attitude &c.