- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Barry Brust
Garrioch’s Rumor Roundup … Kick-starting a Flames Rebuild … Canucks Knew About O’Reilly Waiver Issue
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: On the Flames offer sheet to Ryan O’Reilly,
“Calgary should have known (the Avs) were going to match it no matter what,” said a league insider Friday. “By doing this, what they’ve done is given a division rival one of their best players back instead of having that guy traded elsewhere.
“The Flames have given the Avs a top-six forward and the ammo that could knock Calgary out of a playoff race. This could really end badly for the Flames.”
Had the Flames not made the offer, O’Reilly would have been traded to an Eastern Conference team. The Canucks, Red Wings and Flames tried to trade for him. Avs GM Sherman was trying to trade him to the Rangers, Maple Leafs or Lightning. The Avs wanted a player, prospect and No. 1 pick. Sources say that the Avs asked for Michael Del Zotto, Chris Kreider and a No. 1.
The Rangers, Flames and Flyers are making trade calls. “Teams are thinking they’ve got to do something now if they’re going to stand a chance,” said a league executive Friday.
The Rangers, Blues and Senators are looking for a defenseman.
Many GMs think the Penguins will make a deal for Jarome Iginla.
Unless the Senators get a really good offer for Ben Bishop, don’t expect them to trade him. Robin Lehner won’t be waiver exempt next season.
The clock could be ticking for Lightning coach Guy Boucher.
If the Ducks were to trade Corey Perry, the Maple Leafs would be interested. They would want to have a chance to sign him before giving up top prospects. It is believed that the Ducks and Ryan Getzlaf are getting closer to a deal. Talks are ongoing with Perry, but the sense is that he won’t re-sign.
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin may not be done as he’d like to free up a bit more money.
The Rangers may be looking to add a bit more grit. The Rangers may have floated the idea of moving Marian Gaborik. He has a cap hit of $7.5 million through 2014-15.
The Panthers may be active at the trade deadline. It’s believed they won’t be able to sign Stephen Weiss, and there are several teams that will be interested. The Wings have asked about Weiss.
The Stars will have to decide if they want to re-sign Brenden Morrow or trade him.
The Bruins, Blues, Penguins and Flyers are looking for help.
- Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun: Flames GM Jay Feaster said over a year ago on if they were to trade Miikki Kiprusoff,
“If we were to trade 34 (Kiprusoff), is there a position lower than 30th?,” was Feaster’s reply just over a year ago. “If we were to trade 34, we’d be sub-30, whatever that number is in a 30-team league.”
Kiprusoff no longer has a no-trade clause, and moving him would kick-start a flames rebuild. One problem is that the Flames don’t have goalie ready to take over the number 1 position. There is some hope that Kari Ramo would return the NHL next season. Also in their system are Danny Taylor, Leland Irving and even Barry Brust, but none have proven that they are NHLers.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: When asked if he knew that Ryan O’Reilly would have to clear waivers if Colorado didn’t match the offer sheet, Cancucks GM Mike Gillis said “yes.”
- Dan Tencer via twitter: When asked if he was close to trading Roberto Luongo prior to the season, Gillis said “Yeah. Yeah, we were.”
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild forward Matt Cullenwill be a UFA at the end of the season, and knows he could find himself in the trade rumors.
“When I signed here three years ago, I wanted to win a Cup here. I hope we can do that this year,” Cullen said. “I love it here. My family’s from here. It’s a great organization. I love every part of it. It’s easy to get ahead of yourself and start thinking about this stuff, and I know it will be on the forefront here before long as we get closer to the deadline.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen. I know what I hope for, though.”
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Islanders GM Garth Snow said he received an email from Nino Niederreiter’s Swiss agent, Andre Rufener and asked for a trade. A source said that Snow has no plans to trade Niederreiter. Rufener declined to comment.
“All conversations with players remain private,” Snow said, “but I will say that Nino has never told me that he’s unhappy.”
Niederreiter has 19 goals and 36 points in the AHL and was named an All-Star.
“He’s playing 20-22 minutes a night, playing in all situations,” Snow said when the Isles camp opened. “It’s more conducive for him to be there at this point in time.”
- Eric Francis via twitter: The Flames are looking for a goalie as they only have Miikka Kiprusoff and Leland Irving under contract. Senators Ben Bishop could be a target. AHL’s Abbotsford Heat Barry Brust and Danny Taylor are playing extremely well and can be signed at any time. It was decided that both Brust and Taylor are better than Henrik Karlsson (traded to Blackhawks on Monday). The Flames didn’t think it would be healthy to have all three in the AHL. The Flames also didn’t mind getting rid of another contract. They currently have 47 players under contract.
- The Fourth Period: The Kings have stepped up their efforts for a left handed defenseman to play with Drew Doughty or Slava Voynov. They had kicked tires on Wade Redden. They are believed to have interest in Maple Leafs Carl Gunnarson and Cody Franson, though he is a right-handed shot. The Maple Leafs may not be interested in trading Gunnarson as they balked at a deal for Jonathan Bernier earlier this month when Burke was the GM. The Devils, Flames, Sabres, Penguins and Coyotes all have defenseman as trade bait.
Fire up the Luongo rumors again … Sharks could be in cap crunch … Bryzgalov leaves KHL … Briere injures wrist
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Pronvince: If the season starts on January 19th, and even with a $70.2 million salary cap, the Canucks may be better served to move Roberto Luongo. The Canucks need a third line center, depth on the blueline, and a backup goalie. The Toronto Maple Leafs remain the top landing spot for Luongo. Kuzma would target Tyler Bozak and RFA defenseman Cody Franson. Bozak is in the last year of his deal and has a $1.5 million salary. Franson made $800,000 last year and is currently playing in the Swedish Elite League. The Canucks would then need to find a backup a goalie. Eddie Lack should finish the season in the AHL. There are about a half dozen, affordable veteran options out there. Dan Ellis should get some consideration. Barry Brust and Marty Turco could be two other free agent options.
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: If there is a $60 million salary cap ceiling next season, it could mean a large escrow payment for the players. Players who would be UFA’s in 2013 may not have a lot of options. The Sharks currently have 14 players under contract for next year at $54 million. That would leave them $6 million for 9 players. One player who is not signed past this season is Ryane Clowe. Clowe will make $4 million this season, and they would like to re-sign him, but getting him at a reduced number would be difficult. Defenseman Jason Demers will be a RFA at the end of the season. If Patrick Marleau struggles for the next four months, like he did in the 2nd half 2012-13, the Sharks may look at buying his $6.9 million salary out. Martin Havlat could be another option as he’s set to make $5 million through 2014-15.
- Dave Issac of the Courier Post: According to Sportbox.ru via google translate, Ilya Bryzgalov has broke his contract with CSKA, and is leaving the team.
- CSN Philly: Flyers Daniel Briere injured his wrist on Friday and is expected to miss 2 to 3 weeks.
- David Pollak via twitter: Torrey Mitchell could join the SF Bulls of the ECHL today, waiting for league approval.