- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Blair Jones
Injury notes: Hartnell, Leighton, Green, Samuelsson, Datsyuk, Franzen, Lehtonen and starting goalies
- Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Flyers Scott Hartnell skated on Friday but there is no change to his 4 to 8 week timetable. He met with doctors on Friday. It’s been 3 weeks since he broke a bone in his foot. Michael Leighton is 7 to 10 days away from returning from an upper-body injury.
- Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times: Capitals defenseman Mike Green made the trip with the team to New York but his status for the game is uncertain due to a lower-body injury.
- George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings Mikael Samuelsson will return to the lineup today after missing the last 12 games. The odds of Pavel Datsyuk returning today are greater than 50%. He missed Friday’s game with a bruised shoulder. Johan Franzen was placed on the IR yesterday with a hip flexor. Petr Mrazek will start in net today for the Wings.
- Randy Sportak via twitter: The Flames have re-assisgned goalie Leland Irving and recalled Danny Taylor from Abbotsford of the AHL.
- Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun: The Flame put Blair Jones on waivers. Joey MacDonald will start in net for the Flames against the Stars today.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Kari Lehtonen’s groin injury will keep him out for at least a week. He’s on the IR. Richard Bachman is expect to start today.
- Jason Botchford via twitter: Roberto Luongo will start in net for the Canucks.
- Mark Lazerus via twitter: Ray Emery will start in net today for the Blackhawks.
- Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun: Flames head coach Brent Sutter takes the blame for Flames missing the playoffs for the 3rd straight year, though he hinted that there is plenty of blame to go around.
“I don’t really want to get into that right now. There are reasons. They will have to be addressed once the season is over,” Sutter said. “We will go from there. Again, it’s not something that just transpired here. It’s grown. And at some point in time, it has to be addressed head on.”
The Flames core group of Jay Bouwmeester, Mark Giordano, Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff have been around for all 3 of their playoff misses. Gilbertson thinks this team needs more than a tinker.
“When you aren’t in the playoffs, it’s not good enough,” Sutter said. “There’s reasons for it. We were inconsistent. There were different times throughout the year, in terms of team confidence and taking a step to becoming a good situation, where you don’t deal with this at the end of the year. We failed on it. We never took the stand that this thing would put us over the hump.
“I’ve played on a lot of winning teams, and you know what you need. At certain times throughout the year, there are times you need it — and we never got it.”
- Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald: The Flames will have some RFAs to deal with this summer: Blake Comeau, Leland Irving, Mikael Backlund and Blair Jones. Both Comeau and Jones have said they hope they are brought back.
- George Johnson of the Calgary Herald: The biggest question about the Flames offseason will involve Jarome Iginla. Iginla has a no-trade clause so he won’t be moved unless he wants to. Johnson noted:
He’s obviously extremely comfortable here. This is his team, his town. The safe, familiar place to be. But at what point does getting one more legit shot at a championship before he’s done override comfort? Iginla wants desperately to do just that in Calgary, but given what we’re seeing, and closing in on his 35th birthday, that window is now virtually shut.
Jarome Iginla said:
“It’s still (up) in the air,’’ he protested. “I don’t think it’s a pride thing. You just want to be part of a winner, be part of the playoffs. That’s what we all want to do. I look at myself and I know I didn’t have my best year. There’s going to be a lot of motivation. That’s my approach: Play hard this last week and look to rebound.
“I still think the organization has a lot of good things going for it. This year, when guys went down, everybody said the cupboard was bare, we didn’t have anybody to step in. And you saw a lot of guys that did, gave us a shot to be there, in that position, the last 10 games.
“So I still think there’s a lot of good things (happening). I think it’s going in the right direction.
The Calgary Flames have traded defenseman Brendan Mikkelson to the Tampa Bay Lightning for forward Blair Jones.
Jones carries a $525,000 cap hit and will be RFA at the end of the season. Mikkelson carries a $721,875 cap hit and will be a RFA at the end of the year.