- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Cam Atkinson
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Sabres Jochen Hecht retired from the NHL last night.
“It’s best for everybody to start a new life. It’s been a lot of fun. I’ve got some great memories. I lived here and loved this place for 10 years, 11 years, and Buffalo became a second home to me.
“Buffalo has been like a second home for everybody. I was fortunate enough to play my first game in Buffalo with St. Louis, and I played my last game in Buffalo. It’s kind of full circle, came around. It was a lot of fun.”
Sabres goalie Ryan Miller may have played his last game in a Sabres uniform.
“Everything comes to an end. It’s not always clean and easy. Most of the time, it’s little bit dirty and not any fun. It was hard to watch these guys kind of leave a team one by one, but it’s the nature of sports, nature of life. You can’t just hold on to something that’s not sustainable. Everything becomes stagnant if you’re always trying to hold on to one thing.
- Darren Dreger: Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said that rumors of him being Red Berenson’s successor at the University of Michigan are not true. He has two years left on his Red Wings contract and is happy being the Wings coach.
- Bruce Garrioch: If the Stars decide to make a GM change, Garrioch wouldn’t be surprised if Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill is the top candidate.
- Shawn Mitchell: The Blue Jackets sign forward Cam Atkinson to a 2-year, $2.3 million contract extension.
- Alessandro Seren Rosso: Valeri Nichushkin was traded to Dynamo for $10 million. He’s on a two-year contract with an out-clause after one year, $2 million per year. Slava Malamud: There will be no Nichushkin next year, and likely for 2014-15. TJ ОвечкиH: Russian Media saying that Nichushkin was traded without his knowledge. Could trigger his decision to leave to the NHL.
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford on restructuring their blue line: ”We need to be a lot harder to play against. We made it too easy for opponents.”
- Chip Alexander: Rutherford said that Jeff Skinner at center was an “experiment” but liked what he saw. Creates another option for next season.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Devils David Clarksonwill be a UFA and he may get some offers to convince him to sign with someone else. There has been lots of speculation that the Maple Leafs will be interested.
“I don’t know where I’ll be. I have no idea what will end up happening,” Clarkson told The Star-Ledger today. “There haven’t been any negotiations between Mr. (Lou) Lamoriello and my agent. I’ve had no decisions to make yet.”
“I love playing here. My daughter is from here. I’ve loved my time here,” Clarkson pointed out. “What better situation could there be? I have a coach (Pete DeBoer) I’ve had since I was young who I believe, besides my father, has been the biggest part of my hockey career. And Mr. Lamoriello was the first GM to give me an opportunity.”
- Ian Mendes: Craig Anderson will start in net for the Senators tonight. Robin Lehner could start on Sunday.
Injury Notes: Read, Skinner, Howard, Nash, Atkinson, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Hartnell, Lehtonen and Daley
- Anthony SanFilippo via twitter: Flyers Matt Read left last night’s game with an upper-body injury and did not return.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Hurricanes announced that Jeff Skinner has sustained a concussion. He suffered the concussion during Maple Leafs game after taking a couple hard hits and going head first into the boards. Skinner felt okay after the game, and even took part in practice the next day. The Hurricanes had Saturday off and by Sunday he was unable to practice.
- Ansar Khan via twitter: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said that goalie Jimmy Howard is cleared and able to play today. Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Holland said that ”all tests have shown nothing.”
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: Rangers Rick Nash didn’t travel with the team to Ottawa as he is “believed to be suffering the after-effects of a blow he took from Milan Lucic in Boston a week ago in which his head was driven into the glass by the Bruins’ winger.”
- Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch: Blue Jackets Cam Atkinson (high ankle sprain) and Artem Anisimov (bruised foot) are expected to return to the lineup tonight against the Red Wings. Brandon Dubinsky injured his left knee on Saturday and “it might be a week or two weeks,” according to coach Todd Richards said. Yesterday’s lines and defensive pairings: Umberger-Brassard-Atkinson, Calvert-Anisimov-Foligno, Prospal-Letestu-Dorsett, Gillies-MacKenzie-Boll; Tyutin-Nikitin, Johnson-Aucoin, Erixon-Wisniewski. Also skating: Moore, Drazenovic and Collins. The Blue Jackets assigned center Nick Drazenovic to the AHL to make room for Atkinson.
- Tim Panaccio via twitter: Flyers Scott Hartnell has been cleared to return to practice but won’t get back into the lineup for another 7-10 days.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen didn’t skate yesterday but according to coach Glen Gulutzan,
“He’s making progress,” Gulutzan said. “We’re working him out pretty hard and he hasn’t had any problems with it, so the injury hasn’t gotten worse. That’s a good sign. He’s gone hard with therapy and rehab, so he is certainly ahead of the injury that he had last year (which kept him out 12 games). It’s not to the same extent.”
Defenseman Trevor Daly has stiffness in his neck and hopes to return soon.
Quick Hits: Palushaj, Bolduc, Atkinson, Gonchar, Ehrhoff, Lecavalier, Smith-Pelly, Rundblad and Ristolainen
- Tim Wharnsby via twitter: The Avalanche claim Aaron Palushaj from the Canadiens. The Coyotes put Alexandre Bolduc on waivers.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Blue Jackets winger Cam Atkinson is looking to return to the lineup on Sunday or Monday.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Senators defenseman Sergei Gonchar is skating with the team today.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Sabres defenseman Christian Ehrhoff suffered an undisclosed injury on Sunday and won’t play tonight against the Senators.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Vinny Lecavalier is back skating with the team today.
- Corey Pronman via twitter: The Ducks assign Devante Smith-Pelly to Norfolk of the AHL.
- Corey Pronman via twitter: The Coyotes assign David Rundblad to Portland of the AHL.
- Matias Strozyk via twitter: 2013 NHL draft eligible Rasmus Ristolainen signed with TPS (Finland) through 2015.
- Adam Kimelman of NHL.com: Flyers winger Scott Hartnell will be out 4 to 8 weeks with broken first metatarsal in his left foot according to GM Paul Holmgren.
“Right now we’re trying to decide, talking to the doctor, what the best way to proceed is as far as how to approach this,” Holmgren said before the Flyers’ game against the New York Rangers. “I can’t give you a time frame. It’s probably going to be between four to eight weeks. … Obviously it’s a significant injury.”
Holmgren on Daniel Briere:
“He’s getting better,” Holmgren said. “I would say he’s maybe 50-50 on the weekend. I’ll have a better idea after the game.”
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Henrik Zetterberg skated with Damien Brunner and Johan Franzen. Pavel Datsyuk stated with Valtteri Filppula and Todd Bertuzzi. Filppula left practice early to rest his knee. Forwards Darren Helm and Todd Bertuzzi, defenseman Jakub Kindl should be available tonight. Jonathan Ericsson will be a game-time decision.
- Bob Mitchell of the Toronto Star: Maple Leafs winger Joffrey Lupul will be out for at least 6 weeks with a fractured forearm.
- Jason Gregor via twitter: Kings winger Simon Gagne had a tumor the size of a tennis ball removed from his neck in the summer. Headache free now.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Panthers Stephen Weiss has a lower body injury.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Blue Jackets Cam Atkinson is day-to-day with a lower body injury.
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Flyers Andrej Meszaros has an upper-body injury, more will be known today. Frank Seravalli via twitter: Meszaros injured the same shoulder back in 2009. Missed 6 months after having surgery for a labrum tear.
- Phoenix Coyotes via twitter: Coyotes center Matthew Lombardi left last night’s game with an upper-body injury.
- Josh Brown via twitter: Dallas Stars prospect Radek Faksa is out 4 to 6 weeks with a MCL injury.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Panthers have shown interest in Roberto Luongo, but GM Dale Tallon would have to sweeten the pot to land him. Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis hasn’t been as aggressive as many had thought. They know that it would take Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri and a 2nd round pick to get him. The Blackhawks could be interested if they struggle to start the season. Tim Thomas wants to play next year, and the Bruins could either let him be a UFA after the season, or ‘toll’ his contract, forcing him to honor the last year on his contract. Some teams were interested in Thomas last July, but he said he wasn’t going to play. The Flames are willing to move defenseman Anton Babchuk.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Heika answers on why Stars forward Jamie Benn hasn’t been re-signed yet, piecing together info and speculating in some cases. Benn’s agent, Rich Evans, may be looking for a 3 year or shorter contract. His next deal would obviously be in the millions, but a 3 year deal would allow him to go for a homerun deal on his next deal when he’ll be 26. The Stars won’t go 4 years as he would be a UFA at the end of that. It appears that the Stars are willing to go with 2, 3, 5 or 6 year terms. The sides are off on money for all years. The Stars don’t want to pay a premium price for a RFA. Comparables for RFA years are in the $3.75 to $5 million range. Longer term deal increase to $6.8 on the high end.
- Sean Gentille via twitter: Gentille thinks Red Wings GM Ken Holland send P.K. Subban a 6 year, $30 million offer sheet.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings Todd Bertuzzi could miss weeks recovering from mononucleosis. It could be a month before he’s able to skate again. Mono is highly contagious, so he won’t be around the team.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets winger Cam Atkinson is bothered by a lower-body injury but will play through it.
- Kevin Kurz via twitter: Brent Burns and Jason Demers are both travelling with the Sharks, but that doesn’t mean they will be playing.
- Kevin Kurz via twitter: Bob McKenzie said the Sharks were meeting with Scott Gomez yesterday. David Pollak via twitter: Confirms that Sharks GM Doug Wilson were exploring the fit of Gomez. There is no timetable or rush. Pierre LeBrun via twitter: No other teams are in on Gomez right now, sole focus is with the Sharks.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: The Islanders have 4 defenseman for 2 spots: Martinek, B. Strait, Finley, Hickey
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils Bobby Butler cleared waivers yesterday.
- Dejan Kovacevic via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start in net for the Penguins today against the Rangers.
Morning notes on Crosby, Zetterberg, Yemelin, Belesky, Hasek, Hovinen, Atkinson, Hishon and Kerdiles
- Josh Yohe and Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Sidney Crosby may be getting closer to a decision on playing in Europe.
“Right now for me, it’s more of a week-to-week thing,” Crosby said. “Each week you want to figure out if discussions are heating up. If things get close, that’s great. If things are far apart again, that’s probably not a good sign, so we’ll see what happens.”
“Guys around the league are trying to figure out what they’re going to do,” Crosby said. “That’s something I realized in Colorado. A lot of guys are on the fence about going over to Europe or staying here. Everyone has their structure, their routine. And the season is supposed to be starting now. Now everyone has to decide what to do.”
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Henrik Zetterberg will play for EV Zug in Switzerland.
- Bob Duff via twitter: Drew Miller signed with Braehead Clan in the British league.
- Szymon Szemberg via twitter: Alexei Yemelin has an agreement with Ak Bars Kazan but has not signed with them yet.
- Matias Strozyk via twitter: Matt Beleskey signed with the Coventry Blaze of the EIHL.
- Matias Strozyk via twitter: Dominik Hasek retired for hockey again. He doesn’t believe he’d get an NHL deal, recent talks had fallen through. He was in talks with a NHL team about reporting to an AHL camp but it didn’t materialize. Hasek said they talked to 8 teams, negotiating with 3 or 4. All teams eventually said no.
- Randy Miller of the Courier Post: The Flyers have been high on the 6′ 7″ goalie Niko Hovinen, but yesterday they sent him to the ECHL after a disappointing AHL training camp. The Flyers also sent forwards Marcel Noebels, Jason Akeson and Luke Pither, and defensemen Blake Kessel and Tyler Hostetter. to the Trenton Titans.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets prospect Cam Atkinson expects to be cleared by the eye doctor to return to Springfield of the AHL. Atkinson suffered the eye injury on September 30th when a resistance band hit him in the eye after slipping off his foot.
“The strap slipped off my foot and, like a giant rubber band, snapped me right in the eyes,” Atkinson said. “It was lights out. I couldn’t see a thing. My ears were ringing. My eyes started watering like crazy. Thank God I had people around me.”
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Avalanche 2010 1st round pick, Joey Hishon, is still battling a concussion and it’s not known if he’ll be able to play again. He suffered a concussion during last year’s Memorial Cup. Hishon hasn’t taken part in any practices or preseason games for the AHL’s Lake Erie Monsters. Hishon has indicated through his tweets that he might play, but it hasn’t happened yet.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: The Toronto Marlies will make roster cuts today. Greg McKegg might have secured a spot.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks prospect Nicolas Kerdiles has been deemed ineligible for the University of Wisconsin because of his relationship with advisors from Pulver Sports. The Kelowna Rockets of the WHL own his CHL rights.
Neuvirth comments on Holtby and Semin … Yakupov looking at KHL? Samsonov looking for a tryout … Some CBJ could be sent to AHL
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals goalie Michal Neuvirth tells iSport.cz that Braden Holtby is his “weakest competition yet.” Brian Stubits of CBS Sports: (Russian Machine Never Breaks translation) Neuvirth did clarify a little better,
He sure is a great goalie. But I can’t compare him to Voky or Varlamov, that’s what I meant. In comparison to those two, he played nothing in the NHL and that’s why I take him as the weakest of them three. I’m definitely not saying that he is bad, not at all. I actually like the way he plays. But he is the worst of them three, that’s all.
Neuvirth’s thoughts on Alexander Semin,
I see the leaving of Semin as a huge minus for the team, but then again I think it may do some good. He didn’t have the best work ethic. Maybe now when Ovi will be without him, he will put more into hockey. Maybe that’s what the management was going for. … I think it’s nothing that isn’t well known. If Semin wanted to, he could have been the best player in the world, but he doesn’t want to every day. And that’s wrong.
- Szymon Szemberg via twitter: Nail Yakupov’s agent, Igor Larionov, said that if there is a lockout, Yakupov will head to the KHL instead of returning to Sarnia of the OHL.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Larionov said his client Sergei Samsonov will get a tryout with the Sharks if there isn’t a lockout. Joe Haggerty via twitter: Samsonov’s agent Neil Abbott said there is no deal with the Sharks as of yet, and that they are speaking with several teams.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: If there is a lockout, the Blue Jackets could send forwards Cam Atkinson and Ryan Johansen, and defensemen Tim Erixon and John Moore to the AHL.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: The NHL and NHLPA will meet today at 1 PM, with Gary Bettman and Don Fehr in attendance.
Crosby cleared for contact … Connolly injury update … No surgery for Markov … Erat to IR … Salak and Atkinson to AHL … Strome to OHL
- Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Sidney Crosby confirms he’s been cleared for full contact. How he responds to the contact will determine when he’ll be cleared to play. Bob McKenzie via twitter: “Given rate at which Crosby recovery has moved, no guarantee at all that game action is imminent, but that won’t stop the speculation.”
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs forward Tim Connolly says he may not be day-to-day anymore, “I have to give it time.” Mirtle guesses at least another week. Darren Dreger via twitter: Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke admits that Connolly’s injury is worse than initially thought, but does expect him back soon. Terry Koshan via twitter: Connolly on his upper-body injury: “Whether it is a week or two weeks before I am playing, I could not tell you.”
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov won’t need another surgery.
- Predators Insider via twitter: The Predators have placed Martin Erat on the IR.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Alexander Salak has been assigned to the AHL.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Blue Jackets have sent Cam Atkinson to the AHL.
- Chris Johnston via twitter: The Islanders have sent Ryan Strome back to Niagara of the OHL.
Crosby gets clearance to practice with teammates … Miller to sit for Sabres … Roy hopes for 2nd round … Parise hopes for Saturday
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Sidney Crosby has been cleared by doctors to begin practicing with teammates tomorrow morning. He will travel with the team to Florida. He’ll still need to get clearance from doctors before he’s able to get back in a game.
- John Giannone via twitter: Jonas Enroth in net for the Sabres as Ryan Miller has an upper-body injury. Took an heavy Dion Phaneuf slap shot last night.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: Derek Roy: “Today I took a big step, started skating hard and got my heart rate up.” He is aiming for the 2nd round if the Sabres make it that far.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Zach Parise is looking to be in the Devils lineup on Saturday against the Canadiens. Tom Gulitti via twitter: Zach Parise, “I think I need a couple more practices. I wasn’t ready quite ready to go tonight, so we decided to wait a couple more days.”
- Nick Cotsonika via twitter: Jimmy Howard won’t dress for the Red Wings tonight, he expects to play on Saturday.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals defenseman Dennis Wideman is day-to-day with a lower body injury.
- Ryan Kennedy via twitter: The Predators have signed Austin Watson to an entry-level deal.
- USCHO via twitter: Hobey Baker finalists: Boston College’s Cam Atkinson, North Dakota’s Matt Frattin, Miami’s Andy Miele.