- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Casey Wellman
The Washington Capitals have traded center Zach Hamill to the Florida Panthers for center/right winger Casey Wellman.
Hamill was drafted in the 1st round, 8th overall in the 2007 NHL draft. He carries a $700,000 salary and cap hit.
Wellman was not drafted and carries a $800,000 salary and cap hit.
- Dawn Walton and Allan Maki of the Globe and Mail: Senators defenseman Chris Phillips has filed a $7.5 million lawsuit against his former agent and parents for bad investments and unauthorized real estate deals. Dany Heatley is also suing them. Phillips is accusing them of “breaches of contract, trust and fiduciary duty as well as conversion, fraud, fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation, conspiracy, oppression and unjust enrichment.”
- George Richards of the Miami Herald: The Panthers sent Jonathan Huberdeau to St. John’s on the QMJHL. Jacob Markstrom, Alex Petrovic, Colby Robak and Drew Shore were sent to San Antonio of the AHL.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Bruins have put Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson, Jamie Tardif, and Trent Whitfield on waivers. Once they clear, they can report to Providence of the AHL.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The Panthers have put Dov Grumet-Morris, Michael Caruso, Nolan Yonkman, Andre Deveaux, JF Jacques, Greg Rallo, Casey Wellman, James Wright on waivers.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Penguins Nick Petersen cleared the unconditional ($125) waivers and his contract is mutually terminated.
NY Rangers have traded Erik Christensen and a 7th round pick to the Minnesota Wild for forward Casey Wellman.
It appears as though the pick is a conditional 2013 7th Round Pick. Christensen is a UFA this summer, making 925k this season. Christensen was just coming off a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL and the Rangers needed to move out a forward. NY newspapers were speculating that it would be Wolski, but the Wild stepped in and took Christensen.
Casey Wellman is an undrafted NCAA player, who was signed as a Free Agent in 2010. He has played well and scored in the AHL, but has yet to prove himself in the “L”.
A fringe prospect with an outside shot.
Giroux practices … Arniel safe … Burke could be looking at a Jan. trade … Parise only dealt if can’t be re-sign
NHL holiday roster freeze kicks in at midnight tonight and ends at midnight on the 27th.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: Claude Giroux practiced with the Flyers yesterday in a no contact jersey for the first time since sustaining a concussion. He said his headaches are “pretty much” gone. Giroux is not expected to play until after Christmas, and could miss the Winter Classic.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson on Scott Arniel’s coaching status:
“Coaching is not an issue on this team, as to where we are right now.”
“The players have to take it upon themselves to play better. “We’re all struggling through this, players included.”
- Kevin Paul Dupont via twitter: The Maple Leafs are wilting, so expect GM Brian Burke to make a significant deal at the start of January. It’s time for ID “tradeables” on the Leafs roster.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets talked with the Coyotes about Kyle Turris, but they couldn’t find a match. It’s likely the Blue Jackets will trade Vinny Prospal at the trade deadline. The 36 year old will be a UFA at the end of the season.
- Darren Dreger of TSN: Before being sent to the Canadiens for Jaroslav Spacek, the Hurricanes were offering a 2nd round pick to anyone willing to take Tomas Kaberle’s contract. If the Canadiens miss the playoffs or are knocked out early, can expect a full organizational review, with GM Pierre Gautier being very vulnerable. A few teams have made strong offers for Maple Leafs defensemen Keith Aulie and Cody Franson. They were “good” offers, but Burke isn’t interested in trading either defenseman at the moment. Burke may use Franson as a “piece” in his “fine tuning.” Aulie may only be dealt if he’s part of a bigger deal. The Devils priority is to re-sign Zach Parise, and he’d only be dealt after Lamoriello has done everything he can to re-sign him. Dreger thinks the Red Wings and Penguins would be as aggressive on Parise as other teams.
- Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is still looking to make some trades, and has often brought up dealing a defenseman for a forward.
- Michael Russo via twitter: The Wild have called up Chad Rau and Jed Ortmeyer, placed Casey Wellman on the IR, and sent Cody Almond back to the AHL. The Wild do not expect Mikko Koivu or Pierre-Marc Bouchard to be in the lineup.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Flames Rene Bourque will have a disciplinary hearing for his hit on Blackhawks Brent Seabrook.
- Dallas Morning News: Richard Bachman is expected to start for the Stars against the Ducks.
Pronger hopes to be ready for start of season … Murray talks Selanne rehab … Zherdev says he’ll return … Comrie has setback
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Chris Pronger held a conference call with reporters yesterday as he continues to rehab his back and right hand.
“the goal is to be ready for Game 1 of the regular season. I’m starting to progress. . . . Once I get cleared, I can start getting into a full-lifting program.”
He feels his hand is 80-85% healed, which has put him 2 months behind in his strength program. He hopes to get clearance in a week to begin lifting weights.
“I don’t know that you could say I was breaking down with broken bones and being hit by pucks and all the rest,” he said. “Those are things that sometimes can be avoided. Perhaps now I may not block as many shots. I might just get out of the way and let our million-dollar goalie stop those things.”
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Ducks GM Bob Murray said yesterday that Teemu Selanne “has been struggling a bit” with his knee and thought “he was getting depressed” about the rehab. Murray noted that Selanne “intends to go pretty hard this week” and they’ll be in touch after. Murray added that there were a few days “where it wasn’t bugging him,” there is no timetable on when Selanne will make a decision to play or not.
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Nikolai Zherdev said he didn’t receive any firm offers from the NHL. Zherdev added: “I will be back there. I am sure of that!”
- National Post: Mike Comrie recently suffered a setback in his rehab from hip surgery.
“In wanting to return to play after surgery, I pushed myself too early and that has not helped my recovery,” Comrie said in a statement. “I will return to the NHL when I am healthy and able to play at the level I have come to expect of myself.”
- Glen Andresen of NHL.com: With the Wild trading James Sheppard to the Sharks, it “further solidifies Fletcher’s intent to let younger Wild players like Colton Gillies, Cody Almond and Casey Wellman battle for roster spots among forwards.”
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Alexei Kovalev to SovSport: “In two season w/the #Sens I still couldn’t get Clouston’s game plan. It appeared he scoffed at some players.”
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Brett Lebda has cleared waivers and Predators will likely buy him out.
Rangers still interested in Souray? Pens looking for Dman? Some Devils demoted could be recalled by Friday
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The New York Rangers currently have 5 right-handed defensemen on the roster, and may be on the lookout to add a lefty. Sheldon Souray’s name continues to float around, but even if the Rangers could add some salary to the deal (Steve Eminger, Todd White and Derek Boogaard), Souray’s $5.4 cap hit would hurt next year’s budget when Wade Redden’s deal pops up again. The Rangers will search the waiver wire for left-handed defenseman. Vinny Prospal may require knee surgery that could end his season, possibly his career. More will known after a 2 week rest period. Brandon Dubinsky may move in the #1 center spot between Marian Gaborik and Alex Frolov.
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman prospect, Simon Despres, has a good chance of at least starting the year with the club. GM Ray Shero may be looking for a #6 defenseman on the waiver wire. If they add one defenseman, it could mean that one of Ben Lovejoy, Deryk Engelland and Andrew Hutchinson could go on waivers. They are $1.2 million below the cap, and Jordan Staal could be placed on LTIR to create more room.
- Michael Russo via twitter: The Minnesota Wild have put Matt Kassian and Drew Bagnall on waivers. Basically meaning that Casey Wellman and Justin Falk have made the team.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t rule out recalling any of yesterday’s demoted players (G-Mike McKenna. D- Matt Corrente, C- Jacob Josefson, RW-Mattias Tedenby) by Friday after their cap situation becomes clearer. Lou also added that no decision has been made if Bryce Salvador will be placed on LTIR or not.
- Ben Wright via twitter: Alex Burmistrov, Anthony Stewart and Freddy Meyer all have good chance of making the Atlanta Thrashers final roster.
- Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun: Peter Schaefer is still on tryout with the Vancouver Canucks, and it could be down to him and Jeff Tambellini for the final roster spot. If Schaefer gets the spot, he’ll likely get a 2-way contract worth the minimum $550,000.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Andres Lilja was released by the San Jose Sharks today.