- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Jon Merrill
From twitter unless noted otherwise
- Pierre LeBrun: Hurricanes Jussi Jokinen cleared waivers. LeBrun thinks there is a chance that someone trades for Jokinen if the Hurricanes eat a bit of his contract.
- Pierre LeBrun: The Bruins claim Kaspers Daugavin’s from the Senators.
- Bob McKenzie: Devils prospect Jon Merrill has decided to leave the University of Michigan and has signed with the Devils. He’ll report to the AHL.
- Steve Zipay: Source saying the Rangers are in the mix for UMass defenseman Conor Allen, who will be leaving after his junior year.
- Ian Mendes: All three Senators goalies were on the ice this morning. Craig Anderson was taking shots. Anderson said he won’t play tomorrow, but Saturday against the Leafs is possible.
- NHL.com: Sabres Thomas Vanek suffered an upper-body injury last night. He’ll be re-evaluated today. Mike Harrington: Vanek hasn’t been ruled out for Thursday. Drew Stafford will be back in for sure.
- NHL.com: The Penguins have put Kris Letang back on the IR after he broke a toe last night.
- Calgary Flames: Joey MacDonald will start tonight.
- Chris Peters: Source with knowledge of the Danny DeKeyser situation believes that the Red Wings, Ducks, Predators, Oilers, Blues and Lightning are the strongest contenders.
- Todd Cordell: Dreger on TSN: There hasn’t been any meaningful dialogue between the Devils and David Clarkson.
- Bob McKenzie: Devils prospect Jon Merrill will take a couple days before deciding his future. Finished his junior year at Michigan.
- David Pollak: There are 2 Rangers scouts at the Sharks – Ducks game.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: To LeBrun’s understanding, the Ducks will have contract talks with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in the next 7 to 10 days. LeBrun thinks a Getzlaf deal will get done, but is not sure about Perry. It would be hard for the Ducks to trade Perry at the deadline considering they are challenging for first overall. LeBrun is guessing there is a real chance that the Ducks trade Perry at the trade deadline, regardless of what position they are in. LeBrun also doesn’t think the Ducks would trade Jonas Hiller this season.On the trade front:
“Nobody wants to take any significant money back,” said one Eastern Conference GM on Monday.
“The question I’m asking myself is why would I take on a player with three more years on his deal at $3 million or $4 million a year and then have that contract limit what I can do this summer?” a Western Conference GM told ESPN.com.
Teams like the Senators, Maple Leafs, Flyers, and Rangers have been put off by the high asking price for Avalanche’s Ryan O’Reilly.
“I just think they don’t really want to move him unless it’s a home-run offer,” said one Eastern Conference GM. “That’s their prerogative, really.”
Keep an eye on the Penguins if the Flames and Jarome Iginla decide to move on.
- David Staples of the Edmonton Journal: Sportsnet Doug MacLean on Team 1260 Radio yesterday talking about defenseman Ryan Whitney:
”Can they move Whitney?” MacLean said. ” I am hearing Whitney, the offers are not coming. There’s very little in the way of an offer for Whitney. I’m shocked by that. I haven’t seen him like you guys have, but has he dropped that dramatically that there’s not even offers for him out there?
“And then I heard the other day whispers that he could go on waivers. That can’t be true. But I did hear whispers of it on the weekend from a couple of agents and it shocked me. But it probably isn’t true, but as they say in P.E.I: I’m not telling you it’s the truth, I’m just telling you what I heard.“
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: The Devils may look to trade for a top-6 forward that would bring some scoring. Chere wonders if they have enough to get a top-6 without having to give up defenseman Jon Merrill.
“I don’t have a no-trade, no-movement or any of those, so I know it can happen,” said defenseman Andy Greene, whose name often seems to come up when trades are the topic. “I know Lou is going to do whatever is best for the team that he sees fit. It that’s it, that’s it. I can’t argue with him about that. It’s not something I put a lot of energy or focus into.”
Greene said that trade rumors once use to be a distraction, but no longer.
“Honestly, no. That’s the business. I know any day you can be gone. You can be traded, put on waivers, sent down. I think maybe, in reality, my first and second year I kind of thought about it and made more of it than I should have just because it was my first time going through it,” Greene said.
Adam Larsson won’t be deal, and it’s unlikely that Bryce Salvador is moved. Scouts could be watching Henrik Tallinder when he’s playing.
- Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province: Gallagher thinks the Canucks still need to add a third line center. Though Jordan Schroeder may grow in to the spot, at the moment they need to improve there. They have an excess of wingers. Kevin Bieksa is expected back soon.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: There are rumors that the Flyers are interested in Dustin Byfuglien.
Devils prospects to miss camp … Blackhawks notes … Holland wants to talked to Osgood … Stars sale process ongoing … Bruins blueline
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Mattias Tedenby will miss the NJ Devils prospect camp due to visa problems. Fellow prospect Jacob Josefson said that Tedenby was at the airport on the weekend to head to New Jersey when it was discovered his visa had the wrong birth date. Jon Merrill will also not be prospect camp as he’s taking summer classes.
- Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman remains hopeful that he can re-sign Chris Campoli and Michael Frolik.
“We’re not there yet, but we’re still talking, which is a good sign,” Bowman said. “We’re trying to look at different options in terms of term and dollar amounts. . . . We’re hopeful it’ll get done.”
Down the middle the Blackhawks are a little thin, but they plan of giving rookie Marcus Kruger more time and also using Patrick Sharp and Frolik at center. Rostislav Olesz, acquired for Brian Campell, will be given every opportunity to prove himself at training camp.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings signed Joey MacDonald to a 2 year deal with the 1st year being 2-way. “I want to talk to Chris,” general manager Ken Holland said. “I want to hear what he has to say.” Osgood is returning from Scotland, so they won’t be able to speak until Wednesday at the earliest. Holland wants to know if Osgood can still play and that he’s recovered from his sports hernia and groin area issues.
“We explored the market on July 1,” Holland said. “We talked to a couple of guys that we thought would be good additions. They went elsewhere. As the market thinned out, we always knew we had Chris Osgood out there.
“We’ve protected ourselves with the signing of Joey MacDonald. Now I want to talk to Chris and make a decision within the next week.”
Ty Conklin still could be an option.
- Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette: The Canadiens shouldn’t rush Josh Gorges back from his major reconstructive surgery if he’s not a 100% when the season starts. Andrei Markov came back a little early last year, but got hurt again and only played 7 games all year. Tom Gagliardi’s exclusive negotiating window to buy the Dallas Stars has expired. 4 or 5 groups have shown interest in buying the team. The Stars lost $15 million last year. The NHL and Tom’s Hick’s creditors are looking for max return while purchasers are looking for a deal.
- Matt Kalman of the Boston Herald: The Bruins have continued adding some organizational depth along their blueline this offseason. Tommy Cross and Dougie Hamilton were paired together at prospect camp, and could be envisioned as their 2nd or 3rd pairing in 2013-14. Joe Haggerty via twitter: Hamilton isn’t expected to make a roster push during training camp this fall.
- Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News: Mike Modano,
“Not really in a rush to make a decision one way or another about what’s going to happen,” he said, “but I’ll probably make an announcement in two or three weeks if I want to play or if that’s it.”