- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Jonas Hiller
Morning Rumors: Panthers, Predators, Leafs, Habs, Hurricanes, Canucks, Jets, Sabres, Oilers, Ducks, Pens and Islanders
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Avalanche and Panthers did have serious talks about Dmitry Kulikov, and may do so again.
Panthers Tim Thomascould be a trade deadline target. He has a no-movement clause in his contract.
Predators GM David Poile on if they are ready to see what they could get for some of their players: “No, we just have to start winning some games.” Names that have been mentioned by other teams are Matt Cullen and David Legwand.
Contract talks between the Maple Leafs and Dion Phaneuf were to take place at some point this week.
There was a real attempt by the Canadiens and P.K. Subban to find some common ground.
The Hurricanes will go with three goalies until they decide what to do with one of Cam Ward, Anton Khudobin or Justin Peters.
After three wins, Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has pulled back on his trade hunt. Defenseman Michael Del Zotto and Jake Gardiner are players up his alley, but the Rangers and Maple Leafs don’t want to take on salary.
Friedman wonders how many GMs called the Canucks about Alex Edler have coach John Tortorella chewed him out.
Jets Evander Kane’s contract makes him extremely valuable with the cap going up.
The Sabres could use a compliance buyout on Ville Leino in the offseason. They now know what the market is for Ryan Miller after Henrik Lundqvist’s signing. Coach Ted Nolan would like to see Miller stay.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakin’s said he considered using forward David Perron on defense in late game 5-on-5 situations if the Oilers need offense.
- The Fourth Period: Contract talks between the Maple Leafs and Dion Phaneuf’s camp are expected to pick up this week if they haven’t already. It was reported in late October that he was looking to get around $7 million a year in a new deal. It is uncertain if the Maple Leafs would be willing to accept a $7+ million deal.
- Dennis Bernstein: “Ducks G Jonas Hiller now 12-4-4, only goalie on roster with playoff experience and they should trade him because……”
- James Mirtle: One interesting name that may be available is Panthers Shawn Matthias. If the Leafs are looking to change up their forward mix, he is big and can play center.
- Bucky Gleason: Sabres coach Ted Nolan is committed to fixing Tyler Myers and Drew Stafford. Ryan Miller is integral to the Sabres, either by re-signing him or by trading him to acquire assets. Nobody is untouchable in Buffalo. Steve Ott and Matt Moulson will be UFAs at the season and could be gone before the end of the season. Gleason thinks the Sabres need to package some of the draft picks they’ve stockpiled and acquire top-line talent they lost when they traded them away.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Penguins Brooks Orpik is their only top four defenseman that doesn’t have a deal for next season.
“We’ll see,” Shero said, when asked about what that means for a potential Orpik deal. “We’ll sit down and talk about it internally and see where we are. Who knows? Players might see where the cap might be, [and say] ‘I might just wait it out and see what happens.’”
- Hope Smoke: Dreger: “I see the Blues going all in for a goalie like Miller at the trade deadline. They ordained Halak the #1 but that’s just mind games.”
- Brett Cyrgalis of the NY Post: Source said that GM Garth Snow does not perceive that head coach Jack Capuano is the problem with the Islanders and won’t be fired any time soon.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Islanders GM Garth Snow is working the phones. The ideal scenario for the Islanders would be for Sabres Ryan Miller to waive his no-trade clause to join the Islanders for the remainder of the season.
Teams have only shown mild interest in Capitals Martin Erat. GM George McPhee may need to a find a team that needs to stay near the salary floor: Islanders, Panthers and Sabres.
P.K. Subban and Canadiens contract extension talks are expected to heat up. Starting point may be Drew Doughty’s eight-year deal worth $56 million.
Predators GM David Poile has shown interest in Jonas Hiller and Tim Thomas.
Avs Joe Sakic is looking around the league for a defenseman. Left winger Jamie McGinn has fallen into Patrick Roy’s doghouse and is being shopped for blueline help. He has a cap hit of $1.75 million and will be a RFA at the end of the season.
Senators GM Bryan Murray is looking for a defenseman and may have also looked at Kings Matt Frattin. Murray is looking for someone to play with Jason Spezza.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: On Maple Leafs Jake Gardiner:
The talented but erratic Gardiner would represent a challenge for any coach. But for a coach who demands specifics as much as Carlyle does, this almost seems like a relationship doomed to fail.
This is where Nonis fits in. He has the patience of Job. He’s not willing to make a determination of Gardiner, either way, this early.
He believes too many teams have made mistakes determining the fate of young defencemen, way too soon. It’s his inclination to allow Gardiner to develop at whatever speed is necessary. Carlyle, who hasn’t said as much, can’t possibly agree.
Rangers owner James Dolan said that Glen Sather is the teams GM as long as he wants.
- Chuck Gormley of the Washington Times: (mailbag) Gormley thinks that Capitals should be looking for a “hard-edge defenseman” in a Martin Erat trade. The Canucks may be interested in Erat and have Dan Hamhuis (he may not be available). Would an offer of Erat, Dmitry Orlov and Michal Neuvirth for Hamhuis work? Other Dmen options could be: Dmitry Kulikov (FLA), Michael Del Zotto (NYR), Andrej Meszaros (PHI), Luke Schenn (PHI), Nikita Nikitin (CBJ), Alex Martinez (LA), Francois Bouillon (MON) and Paul Ranger (TOR).
- David Pagnotta: Was told that there was group that was trying to buy the Coyotes and bring them to the Toronto. Not sure if tied to the Markham group. Obviously, the NHL rejected the offer. The rejected offered was believed to be in the $500 million range for relocation and territorial rights to the Maple Leafs.
- CBC Sports: Friedman said that the Maple Leafs may revisit talks with the Panthers about Dmitry Kulikov.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: If the Islanders were looking at Jonas Hiller, but Viktor Fasth most recent injury shut that door. Matheson thinks the Penguins or Rangers will make the biggest play for Mike Cammalleri at the trade deadline. Cammalleri will be owed $1.25 million at the deadline. The Penguins could use some offense outside of their top 6. The Oilers have tried for two years to get Shawn Matthias out of Florida. He’s playing on the wing this year, but is a normally a center. Matheson thinks that the Oilers should look to bring back Andrew Cogliano this summer as a free agent. The Hurricanes would love to move Tuomo Ruutu and his $4.75 million contract, but there haven’t been any takers. With Luca Sbisa out, the Ducks won’t be shopping Mark Fistric.
- Wayne Scanlan: Senators coach Paul MacLean keeps repeating that Craig Anderson is their “No.1 goaltender,” but the more he says it, the less Anderson seems to play.
- Bruce Garrioch: Scouting the Bruins-Hurricanes game on Saturday: Leafs (2), Oilers (2), Capitals, Sharks, Canadiens, Islanders, Flames and Sabres.
- Pierre LeBrun: If the Predators don’t get good news regarding Pekka Rinne’s hip, they could start making calls again for a goalie. They have spoken with the Ducks about Jonas Hiller. Capitals GM George McPhee may not be interested in moving Michal Neuvirth unless it’s a really good offer, think at least a top-four defenseman.
- Darren Dreger: Four or five teams have kicked tires on Flames Mikael Backlund. The Flames are willing to trade him.
- Darren Dreger: The Hurricanes have offered Tuomo Ruutu and Jiri Tlusty to teams in search for a puck-moving defenseman. Luke DeCock: Shouldn’t be a surprise the Hurricanes are offering Ruutu and his $4.75 million contract around, too easily knocked off the puck. Offering up Tlusty may indicate a lack of interest in re-signing.
- James Gordon: Senators GM Bryan Murray said he isn’t inclined to make a move, a solution will be found within.
- George Sipple: Red Wings GM Ken Holland on Gustav Nyquist: “He’s playing tomorrow night, so he’s here for the year.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Two sources had said that Senators GM Bryan Murray is working the phones trying to find a top four defenseman that would be able to step in right away.
“I get the sense Murray would like to do something,” said a league executive before the visit by the Wild. “It might even just be a change for the sake of change.”
The Senators also need to find a fit in their top 6 as Milan Michalek has struggled, but they hope he will turn it around. The defenseman market is thin and lots of teams are looking to improve in that area. The Rangers are willing to trade Michael Del Zotto, the Penguins could move Matt Niskanen and Stars could move Vernon Fiddler. The Senators have $8.409 million in cap space, but Murray would have move out some salary in a deal.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Matching team needs with trade options. Predators: Might need a goalie – Jose Theodore, Jonas Hiller and Michal Neuvirth. They will likely wait to see what Rinne’s results are from his MRI next week. Capitals: Could use a top 4 defenseman. Senators – A puck moving defenseman. Del Zotto could be an option. Blues – Goalie upgrade with Ryan Miller being mentioned. Red Wings – clear roster space for Gustav Nyquist and clearing some cap space. (written before DeKeyser was put on LTIR, Gustav to be called up)
“I’d like to get Nyquist up,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said when we chatted Tuesday. “I was hoping to make a trade. Obviously, I put our guys on waivers. Other than big trades, nobody really wants to add money right now.”
- TSN Radio: Bob McKenzie: The Flyers would want to a really good defenseman if they trade Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier.
- Hope Smoke: McKenzie: ”Philly’s not shopping Schenn (or Couturier) but they know that to get what they want they need to move one of those guys. Holmgren is liable to trade anybody so Brayden Schenn isn’t an untouchable. They want a really good defenseman in return”
- TSN Radio: Darren Dreger: Rangers GM Glen Sather is making calls and taking them on Michael Del Zotto.
- Patrick Kearns of the Fourth Period: Kearns thinks the Rangers should hold onto Del Zotto as his value is at an all-time low. If they were to move Del Zotto, they may be comfortable with Dylan McIlrath being able to step in a bottom pairing role.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The odds are slim that Ted Nolan will be behind the bench for the Sabres next season.
Shinzawa thinks the Maple Leafs will re-sign captain Dion Phaneuf. He’s 28-years old and is averaging 24.:23 minutes per game. Those types of defenseman are hard to find and are even harder to acquire.
Jonas Hiller will be a UFA at the end of the season and the Ducks may look to acquire some assets for him. The Islanders and Predators are potential landing spots for him. The Ducks are deep in net with Viktor Fasth, Frederik Andersen and John Gibson in the pipeline.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks it’s doubtful that the Blue Jackets will look to re-sign Marian Gaborik for another four or five years at $6 million. They gave up Derrick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and John Moore to get him.
Marc-Eduoard Vlasic may have played himself ahead of Marc Staal and Dan Hamhuis on the Canadian Olympic team depth chart.
The Wild may be looking for a backup goalie with experience. Best bet is they bring back Jose Theodore.
The Sharks will likely buyout Martin Havlat after this season. They may have done it this summer, but he was injured and you can’t buyout injured players.
Still rumors out there that the Blues will make a play for Sabres Ryan Miller at the trade deadline.
Morning Rumors II: Stars, Maple Leafs, Hurricanes, Panthers, Predators, Flyers, Emery and Fighting and the Sabres
- TSN Insider Trading: Dreger: doesn’t think that Nail Yakupov will be traded this year. They have no intentions of trading him.
McKenzie: Stars Vernon Fiddlerwent to the team and said he wants more ice time and bigger role. If they couldn’t fulfill the request, to let him do it elsewhere. He’s making $1.8 million will be a UFA at the end of the season. There is interest in him, but the stars are doing well. Dreger: The Maple Leafs are one of the teams that talked to the Stars about Fiddler, but are concerned with his age and money.Dreger: Maple Leafs have had talks with Hurricanes about John-Michael Liles, but nothing imminent.
McKenzie: Five Panthers who likely won’t be traded are: Aleksander Barkov, Jonathan Huberdeau, Nick Bjugstad, Eric Gudbranson and Marcel Goc. Shawn Matthias or Dmitry Kulikov could be getting interest, not so much for their more expensive veterans.
LeBrun: The Predators have had talks with the Ducks regarding Jonas Hiller, but are waiting to learn more about Pekka Rinne’s health before making a decision. If it looks like Rinne’s health will keep him out longer, they may look to move on a goalie.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN Radio: “I don’t get the sense that talks have heated up between the Leafs and Fiddler. Leafs leaning towards vet depth forward”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Flyers are “vigorously” shopping Luke Schenn and Andrej Mezsaros. Schenn has $3.6 million cap hit for the next three years and Mezsaros has a $4 million cap hit for this season.
- Dan Rosen of NHL.com: Ray Emery when asked by Gary Bettman last week if he would have went after Holtby if there was a 10-game suspension:
“He goes, ‘What, are you crazy?’” Commissioner Bettman said.
“There are things you can do if you believe that is not the appropriate thing,” Bettman continued. “There are lots of people who believe that with the amount of equipment that goaltenders wear and the importance that they have that there should be a rule, and that’s something we’ll discuss. But us just throwing out lightning bolts because of the spur of the moment, you have to be better and more consistent than that when you’re running a sports league.”
- Mike Harrington: Sabres call for a 10:30 AM major press conference. John Shannon: Sounding like the Sabres will announce a new position, President of Hockey Operations. Joe Yerdon: “If the insiders are right and it is to announce a head of hockey ops, that’s a big deal. Someone who slots in above Darcy Regier? Yeah, big.” Bob McKenzie: Sounding like Pat LaFontaine will be named the Sabres new president of hockey operations. Bucky Gleason: Hearing that Darcy Regier and Ron Rolston are out with LaFontain in and possibly Ted Nolan returning as coach.
Morning Rumors: Yakupov, Lundqvist, Goalie Market, Hemsky, Candiens, Leafs, Panthers, Caps and Flyers
- Craig Custance: Nail Yakupov’s agent said that if the Oilers are unhappy with Yakupov, they are open to a trade: “We’re willing to make a move. Any team. That happens and that’s part of life.”
- Bob Stauffer: On Larionov and Yakupov: “#1. Igor probably isn’t too pleased that Nail has played under 12 mins last 3 games. #2. A coach spotting Yakupov and limiting defensive zone starts given a -14 rating is completely logical. #3. Not every agent goes to the media to discuss frustrations with a team’s handling of their client. Going direct to the GM works better.”
- Bob McKenzie: Expectation is that Rangers GM Glen Sather will meet with Henrik Lundqvist’s agent, Don Meehan, for contract talks while he’s in town for the Hockey Hall of Fame and GM meetings.
- Craig Custance: Ducks GM Bob Murray on the goalie trade market: “The phone is not ringing.”
- The Fourth Period: The Blues have shopped Brian Elliott, but he may not moved until later in the season as the goalie market is thin at the moment.
- The Fourth Period: It is believed that the Oilers have talked with teams, including the Rangers, about Ales Hemsky.
- Elliotte Friendman of CBC: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello on trading Martin Brodeur.
”We’ve never had any conversations about it. I’ve never talked to anyone else about it and I’m not going to waste any time on it.”
Canadiens pending UFA, Andrei Markov, is changing agents. This is something some GM hate.
“You’re always worried the new guy is telling him how much better a deal he can get,” one GM said. “Then, he has to live up to it.”
If P.K. Subban says he’ll go for a two-year arbitration deal that would take him to unrestricted free agency, which could be worth $7 million per season, then you know he’s unhappy in Montreal. The Canadiens will look for a longer deal.
The Maple Leafs may be looking for right-shooting defenseman. It’s been an on-again/off-again situation. At one point they looked at Mike Weaver, but may be looking for someone that can play higher up in their lineup.
The Senators and Stars are said to be looking for a defenseman.
Friedman isn’t sure if the Senators would consider trading Craig Anderson. If they were to move him, would need a goalie coming back.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon has been trying hard to make a trade, but he wants to move guys with bad contracts. Players that could interest teams are Marcel Goc ($1.7 million) and Shawn Matthias ($1.75 million).
The Predators looked at Ilya Bryzgalov before he signed with the Oilers but were denied.
The Oilers may have looked at Jonas Hiller, but Ducks GM Bob Murray doesn’t like trading within the division.
The Capitals may have had some interest in Ladislav Smid before he was traded to the Flames.
Some executives would be surprised if the Flyers traded Wayne Simmonds, though you can never predict what the Flyers will do.
Some teams are looking at undrafted free agent Colin Suellentrop (Oshawa Generals). He attended the Canadiens camp, is from Florida which may make them a possibility, and Rangers may be looking at him.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Most likely that the Leafs will look to get something done with a team in the West. There is that relationship in Anaheim”
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: The Maple Leafs could look at the free agent market if they don’t go in-house on a centerman. They could look at Vinny Prospal, but they are tight against the cap. Putting Dave Bolland on the LTIR will give them some flexibility.
- Brian Stubits of Eye on Hockey CBS Sports: Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 960 Calgary with a little more detail into Steve Downie getting traded out of Colorado:
“Basically what it goes back to was during training camp Downie got mad at [Captain Gabriel] Landeskog for a trip during a scrimmage and he drilled him. I was just told from that day, considering Downie was a bit unrepentanant about it, I just heard the Avalanche decided they were going to make the change at that time. You can’t have guys doing that. The timing is still very odd, it’s an interesting time for the deal, but I was told basically the Avalanche had decided that when that happened and Downie was basically unapologetic about it, the time was going to come where he was going to get dealt.”
- Matthew Coller: A look at some teams who may need goaltender at some point and goalies who may fit those needs.
Blues: Their problem is the inconsistency of Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott. Ryan Miller could be a solution.
Oilers: Devan Dubnyk’s poor start. James Reimer could be a solution.
Blackhawks: Poor backup play of Nikolai Khabibulin. Scott Clemmensen could be a solution.
Penguins: Injury to Tomas Vokoun. Signing free agent Jose Theodore could be a solution.
Islanders: Need someone better than Evgeni Nabokov if you want to complete for the cup. Trading for Jonas Hiller could be a solution.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Since the Devils have to forfeit their 1st round pick, the NHL isn’t a 100 percent sure how they will be handling the draft lottery. They may keep the Devils as part of the lottery to determine the order.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks the Oilers will “all over” Ducks Jonas Hiller this summer if Devan Dubnyk doesn’t work out as their No. 1 goalie. Hiller will be a UFA.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Lawless thinks the Jets should do nothing right now. “Trade now? From a position of weakness? That’s what loser organizations do. Organizations destined to rot for decades and treat the odd season of mediocrity as something to celebrate.” Firing coach Claude Noel may be a temporary distraction, but the same “deep-rooted issues” would sill be there. They could trade some roster players, but they would only likely net you draft picks.
- Igor Eronko: Defenseman Cam Barker is talking with Barys of the KHL.
- Ryan Rishaug: Oilers lines: Eberle Gagner Yakupov, Perron RNH Arcobello, Smyth Gordon Hemsky, Eager Acton Gazdik.
- Don Brennan: Senators lines: Ryan-Spezza-Michalek, Zibanejad-Turris-MacArthur, Conacher-Smith-Neil, Greening-Grant-Condra.
- Don Brennan: Blackhawks lines and defensive pairings: Sharp-Toews-Hossa, Saad-Pirri-Kane, Bickell-Shaw-Morin, Bolig-Kruger-Mills, Keith-Seabrook, Oduya-Hjalmarsson, Leddy-Brookbank
- Elliott Pap: Canucks lines: twins-Kesler; Higgins-Santo-Burrows; Welsh-Richardson-Kassian; Sestito-Archibald-Weber.
- Tom Gulitti: Martin Brodeur will start in net for the Devils. Keith Kinkaid will back up.
- Tim Panaccio: Steve Mason will start in net for the Flyers.
- Eric Stephens: Jonas Hiller will start in net for the Ducks.
- Steve Zipay: Cam Talbot will start in net for the Rangers.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Teams are calling the Ducks to see if they’d move either Jonas Hiller or Viktor Fasth. The Hurricanes (written before DiPietro signed tryout), Predators, Oilers, Panthers and Islanders could be looking for a goalie. ”His best bet is to wait for the deadline because you find out pretty quickly it’s hard to get value for a goalie,” said a league executive Saturday. “Historically it just always has been.”
Could Rangers GM Glen Sather be on the hot seat? Talk that the Rangers are looking for a puck moving defenseman.
Senators Zack Smith is getting some interest. Some in the organization think he’s part of the solution. The Senators are hoping someone would take Jim O’Brien and his one-way contract.
NHL VP Colin Campbell could be a candidate if Sabres GM Darcy Regier is fired. Canadiens assistant GM Rick Dudley could be the top candidate.
The Maple Leafs and Canucks would be interested in Avs Paul Stastny if he became available.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello emailed teams offering up a “veteran defenseman.” Marek Zidlicky, Anton Volchenkov, Peter Harrold and Andy Greene would qualify as veterans.
Teams have shown interest in Flyers Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds, but they are unlikely to be traded.
The Flyers would love to move Andrej Meszaros and Nicklas Grossman.
The Stars would be willing to trade Alex Goligoski. He has three years at $4.6 million per season left on his deal.
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Vogl thinks the Sabres have missed their best chance to trade goalie Ryan Miller. There have only been 23 goaltending trades since 2005-06, with only 12 happening during the season. Return on deals in-season were less lucrative. Fans hoping for a 1st round pick or a star player in return are likely dreaming too big. Only five trades landed a 1st round pick. Likely return could be a 2nd round pick. Only way for the Sabres to get a big return for Miller may be if a team loses their goalie to injury or if they are desperate for a playoff run.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Sharks Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau were longshots for Team Canada, but not anymore. Same goes for Matt Duchene.
One-time argument between Tie Domi and John Ferguson. Ferguson: “You’re trying to get me fired.” Domi: “No John, I think you’re doing a pretty good job of that yourself.”
- David Pagnotta: If the Oilers were able trade for a top-two defenseman, they would. Looking to improve their overall team defense.