- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Jonathan Bernier
Afternoon Hits: Waivers, Hossa, Bozak, Ashton, Skinner, Semin, Grigorenko, Olesz and Starting Goalies
- Renaud Lavoie: The Oilers put Steve MacIntyre on waivers.
- Patrick Williams: Marian Hossa will be back in the lineup for the Blackhawks.
- Chris Johnston: Maple Leafs Tyler Bozak won’t play tonight, but is hopeful for Saturday.
- David Alter: The Maple Leafs send Carter Ashton to the AHL.
- James Mirtle: The Marlies release Stefan Legein from his PTO.
- Michael Smith: Hurricanes Jeff Skinner is activated from the IR, Alex Semin is put on the IR.
- Chris Nichols: Mikhail Grigorenko will be back in the Sabres lineup tonight.
- Igor Eronko: Rostislav Olesz signed a one-year deal with SC Bern of the Swiss league.
- Rich Chere: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Devils.
- Fluto Shanzawa: Tuukka Rask will start in net for the Bruins.
- Mark Masters: Jonathan Bernier will start in net for the Maple Leafs.
- Mike Harrington: Ray Emery will start in net for the Flyers.
- Josh Cooper: Marek Mazanec will start in net for the Predators.
- Mark Lazerus: Corey Crawford will start in net for the Blackhawks.
- Mike Halford: Some good goalie matchups tonight: Lundqvist vs. Lehtonen, Smith vs. Varlamov, Schneider vs. Scrivens.
- Ansar Khan: Datsyk is skating with Bertuzzi and Alfredsson. Zetterberg is centering Franzen and Tatar. Weiss centering Abdelkader and Cleary. Andersson centering Miller and Tootoo.
- Anthony SanFilippo: Raffl on a line with Giroux and Lecavalier. Hartnell with Schenn and Voracek.
- Pittsburgh Penguins: Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis, Jokinen-Malkin-Kobasew, Glass-Sutter-Megna, Engelland-Vitale-Adams. D: 7-44, 4-58, 3-2-41.
- Edmonton Oilers: Oilers lines: Yakupov-RNH-Eberle, Perron-Arcobello-Hemsky (Hamilton), Pitlick-Gordon-Jones (Gagner), Gazdic-Acton-Eager
- St. Louis Blues: Jaroslav Halak will start in net for the Blues tonight.
- William DePaoli: Penguins Jeff Zatkoff will start tonight.
- Jonas Siegel: Jonathan Bernier will start in net for the Maple Leafs.
- Seth Rorabaugh: Evgeni Nabokov will start in net for the Islanders.
- John Vogl: Jhonas Enroth will start in net for the Sabres tonight. Ryan Miller will start on Saturday.
- Tony Ambrogio: Jonathan Bernier on the GWG: ”that was a bad mistake on my part.”
- Mark Masters: Bernier on hybrid icing: ’That’s the new game & we all have to adjust, but it’s not an excuse’
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Kings GM Dean Lombardi on Jonathan Bernier.
“It doesn’t surprise me at all,” Lombardi told ESPN.com Friday. “We knew this guy. After the trade, he sent me a text to thank me for trading him. I replied back, ‘I just wish I could have been Glen Sather and had Moog and Fuhr but that is impossible today.’”
Lombardi knew he couldn’t keep both Bernier and Jonathan Quick, and promised Bernier a trade.
“What makes this tough is that it’s procedural, you have to move him, it’s not even a hockey deal, you’re looking for an asset deal.”
“You’ve got something that’s valuable that you have to move, but the market doesn’t recognize it,” Lombardi said.
“[Toronto GM] Dave Nonis was really the only one who was seriously interested in him. Everyone else was just tire-kicking. I was shocked at the lack of real interest. He had proven himself again last season. The other reason I think people overlook Bernier is because he is small; they overlook his hockey sense, which is his best asset.
“I give Nonis a lot of credit. A week after he got the [GM] job [in Toronto], he was all over Bernier.”
Lombardi said they almost traded Bernier to Toronto before the start of last season, but was nervous with Quick coming back off back surgery. Without Bernier last year, they wouldn’t make the playoffs.
- Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star: With the early play of Jonathan Bernier, the Leafs have two capable No. 1 goalies. Feschuk wonders:
It could mean the Maple Leafs explore a trade that includes James Reimer, since there’s no point in keeping around a perfectly deal-able No. 1-calibre talent when you’ve got holes in the lineup. There are plenty of teams looking for goaltenders and defencemen — heck, one will be at the Air Canada Centre on Saturday night. Wouldn’t a package of Reimer and the still-not-extended Dion Phaneuf render a choice young asset from, say, the Oilers?
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: One Eastern Conference executive doesn’t think Devan Dubnyk can be a No. 1 goalie, and aside from Justin Schultz, their blueline has ”neither depth nor dimension.” LeBrun thinks that GM Craig MacTavish will wait 10 to 15 games before deciding if he needs to look for a goalie elsewhere or not. LeBrun thinks their bigger need is on the blueline and that MacTavish will look to add one or two by the trade deadline.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers are looking for third pairing Dman that brings some muscle and toughness. Penguins Deryk Engelland’s name keeps coming up in trade talk.
- Darrin Bauming: Scouting the Jets-Stars game: Blues, Flames, Oilers, Penguins and two from the Swedish National team.
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: (s/t Pro Hockey Talk) Capitals Martin Erat has been playing on the fourth line and averaging only 7:59 a game. When asked if he has considered asking for a trade, he said: “No, not yet.”
- Josh Rimer: Rimer notes that the next big thing to happen in New York may be a trade to shake things up.
- James Mirtle: Eric Dehatschuk points out on Steve Bernier: How did the Flyers not out bid the Leafs for Bernier? Elliotte Friedman: Was told the Kings really liked Matt Frattin, and the Flyers said they would not trade either Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn. Scott Cullen: Cullen points out that the Leafs didn’t include the likes of a Couturier or Schenn either. Bob McKenzie: The Flyers didn’t have a backup goalie to include in the deal and the Kings needed one. John Hoven: After talking with Kings GM Dean Lombardi, the second round pick may have been more important.
- Katie Strang: Islanders Matt Moulson is entering the final year of his three-year deal that pays him $3.13 million per season. Comparisons could be Jason Pominville’s five-year, $28 million deal, Joe Pavelski’s five-year, $30 million or Nathan Horton’sseven-year, $37.1 million.
“Suffice it to say, he will do very well,” surmised one agent.
The Islanders may be reluctant to pay him more than John Tavares’s $5.5 million. The two sides haven’t begun talks, but Islanders GM Garth Snow said in a text that it’s his intention to re-sign Moulson.
“I love playing on Long Island. Obviously, I want to be here,” he told ESPN.com “I want to do like I do every year — have a career year and hope everything takes care of itself.”
If talks don’t work out, he could be on the market as the trade deadline approaches.
“It’s something that comes with the territory,” Moulson said of rampant trade rumors in the past. “The first year, the first time I experienced it, you get a little nervous, but [now] I’ve got enough things to worry about it in my life. That’s not going be something I’m gonna bother with; I’m just going to play.”
- The Globe and Mail Podcast: James Mirtle and Eric Dyhatschek talk about the Flames, Laviolette’s firing and Jake Gardiner trade rumors.
- Jason Botchford: Sharks Joe Thornton would have an interesting celebration if he scored four goals in a game. After hearing reporters asking Thomas Hertl if he was showboating on his fourth goal of the game the other night, Thornton said “Shut up, have you ever played the game?”When they turned away from him, Thornton added: “I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it.”
- David Pollak: A Vancouver reporter did ask Thornton if he was annoyed that his line went public yesterday: ”No, that’s OK,” Thornton said. “Thanks for asking.”
- Rob Longley: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle on if Jonathan Bernier is their No. 1: ”This is the fifth game of the year, it’s kind of early guys.”
- Chris Johnson: Leafs Cody Franson left the arena smiling last night. He didn’t know how many stitches his nose received.
Mike Fisher’s hit on Fanson.
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes lines: Tlusty-EStaal-Semin; Gerbe-JStaal-Dwyer; Skinner-Nash-Dvorak; Bowman-Sutter-Lindholm. Westgarth, Ruutu extra forwards. Defensive pairings: Faulk-Sekera; Hainsey-Bellemore; Murphy-Harrison. Komisarek also working with Faulk.
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes PP unit: Semin, EStaal, Tlusty, Lindholm, Murphy; 2nd PP: Skinner, JStaal, Gerbe, Faulk, Harrison.
- Tom Gulitti: Devils lines: Zubrus-Elias-Jagr; Clowe-Henrique-Ryder; Olesz-Zajac-Brunner; Carter-Gionta-Bernier; Josefson-Loktionov-Tedenby. Defensive Pairings: Salvador-Zidlicky; Greene-Fayne; Volchenkov-Harrold; Larsson as extra.
- Mark Stepneski: Stars lines started off with: Benn-Seguin-Peverley; Whitney-Horcoff-Chiasson; Roussel-Eakin-Cole; Garbutt-Fiddler-Nichushkin; MacDermid-Mueller. Later lines switched too: Eakin now centering Whitney and Chiasson, Horcoff centering Roussel and Cole. Defensive Pairings: Goligoski-Gonchar; Dillon-Robidas; Daley-Benn; Rome-Connauton.
- Mark Masters: Jonathan Bernier will start in net for the Maple Leafs.
- Fluto Shinzawa: J.S. Giguere is expected to start in net for the Avalanche tonight.
- Chip Alexander: Anton Khudobin is expected to start in net for the Hurricanes.
- Adam Kimelman: New Flyers lines: Hartnell-Giroux-Simmonds, Talbot-Couturier-Read, Voracek-Lecavalier-B.Schenn.
- Sarah Baicker: Flyers defensive pairings: Meszaros-Streit, Timonen-Schenn, Coburn-Grossmann.
- Shelly Anderson: Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Jokinen-Malkin-Bennett Jeffrey-Sutter-Kobasew Glass-Vitale-Adams.
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes lines: Tlusty-EStaal-Semin, Gerbe-JStaal-Dwyer, Skinner-Nash-Dvorak.
- Mark Lazerus: Blackhawks lines: Bickell-Toews-Kane, Sharp-Handzus-Hossa, Saad-Shaw-Hayes, Bollig-Kruger-Nordstrom.
- Erik Erlendsson: Lightning’s Tom Pyatt will start on a line with Killorn and Filppula. Richard Panik will be a scratch.
- Dave Isaac: Steve Mason is the likely starter for the Flyers.
- James Mirtle: Jonathan Bernier will start in net for the Maple Leafs against the Avalanche.
- Josh Yohe: Marc-Andre Fleury will start in net for the Penguins.
- Joe Yerdon: Ben Bishop will start in net for the Lightning.
- Joe Yerdon: Jhonas Enroth will start in net for the Sabres.
- Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic: Radim Vrbata and the Coyotes have shelved contract talks until the end of the season. Vrbata is in the last year of three-year, $9 million deal. He’s scored 90 goals over the past four seasons.
“Radim’s intent at this time is to focus on playing,” Evans said. “We had some discussion with the team. I’m not going to get into details, but we had discussions with them up until the day before the season started and when it didn’t lead to a new deal, we made it clear that from that point forward Radim was going to focus on playing.
“So any type of contract discussion would be a distraction for him. It’s an important season for him and an important season for the Coyotes, and he’s focused on playing the game and helping his team win.”
Vrbata had hoped to get a deal done before the season started.
“If he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s going to get paid more,” General Manager Don Maloney said. “We have no problem paying on performance. We’ve always been able to find ways, for the most part, to keep the people we want to keep. So he seems comfortable with it and if (Thursday) night is any indication, he’s going to have a monster year, and I hope he does.”
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Many people think the Avalanche will have to trade one of their centers, Matt Duchene, Paul Stastny or Nathan MacKinnon, with the odds on favorite being Stastny. Stastny is in the last year of his deal that is paying him $6.6 million. If Stastny changed his game into more of third line role (and took less money) and was happy with that, may be the only hope for him remaining with the team. Unlikely. The Avs need help on the blueline and Stastny could be that trade chip. The Avs play over the first two-thirds of the season could determine what happens with Stastny. He could be a rental if they are out of it.
- Michael Grange: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle after James Reimer was pulled after allowing four goals and Jonathan Bernier coming in and not allowing a goal and picking up the shootout win: ”It makes is easier, it makes it easier.”
- Eric Stephens: The Ducks haven’t scripted their starters beyond the first two. Jonas Hiller in opener and likely Viktor Fasth in against the Jets.
- Lou Korac: Jaroslav Halak will start in net for the Blues against the Predators.
- Tom Gulitti: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Devils against the Penguins. Martin Brodeur will start their home opener on Friday. Coach Peter DeBoer wanted to give Brodeur an extra day.
- James Mirtle: Prepare for two day of debating on who should start on Saturday for the Maple Leafs, Jonathan Bernier or James Reimer. A good problem for the Maple Leafs to have.
- Helene Elliott: Ducks lines: Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry; Silfverberg-Perreault-Selanne; Cogliano-Koivu-Winnik; Belesky-Bonino-Palmieri.
- John Vogl: Sabres lines: Thomas Vanek-Cody Hodgson-Drew Stafford starting against Wings’ Henrik Zetterberg-Pavel Datsyuk-Justin Abdelkader.
- Chris Nichols: Flyers power play lines yesterday: PP1: Hartnell-Giroux-Simmonds, Voracek-Timonen/ PP2: Couturier-Lecavalier-Read, Streit-Meszaros.
- Darren Dreger: On waivers today: Scott Clemmensen (Fla), Kevan Miller (Bos), Alexander Urbom (NJ) and Ben Eager (Edm).
- Pittsburgh Penguins: The Penguins recall Beau Bennett. Chris Conner and Harrison Ruopp have been reassigned to the AHL.
- Dave Molinari: The Penguins sign Chuck Kobasew to a one-year $550,000 contract.
- Michael Smith: Hurricanes power play units: Tlusty, Lindholm, Semin, E. Staal, Murphy; Skinner, J. Staal, Gerbe, Faulk, Harrison.
- Arthur Staple: Islanders power play units: 1st — Moulson-Tavares-Nielsen-Okposo-Visnovsky; 2nd — Bailey-Martin-McDonald-Bouchard-Donovan.
- Andrew Gross: Rangers lines: Richards-Stepan-Nash Pouilot-Brassard-Zuccarello Pyatt-Boyle-Fast Miller-D. Moore-Dorsett.
- Stephen Whyno: Steve Mason will start in net for the Flyers against Jonathan Bernier and the Maple Leafs.
Things got a little crazy during the Maple Leafs – Sabres game.
Jamie Devane dropped Corey Tropp in a bit of mismatch, though Tropp seemed willing to go.
John Scott goes after Phil Kessel, who delivers a couple two-handed slashes. David Clarkson leaves the bench to grab a hold of Scott before he destroys someone. Clarkson will receive an automatic 10-game suspension.
TSN: NHL Rule 70.10 states: “The first player to leave the players’ or penalty bench illegally during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended without pay for the next 10 regular league and/or playoff games of his team.”
Kessel ended up taking on Brian Flynn and did well for himself.
Jonathan Bernier drops the mitts with Ryan Miller.
Time Team Penalty Details
10:01 Buffalo John Scott: 10 minutes, game misconduct
10:01 Buffalo Corey Tropp: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Buffalo John Scott: 2 minutes, instigator
10:01 Buffalo John Scott: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Buffalo John Scott: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Toronto Jamie Devane: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Toronto Andrew Macwilliam: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Toronto Tyler Bozak: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Toronto Tj Brennan: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Buffalo Brian Flynn: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Buffalo Michael Zigomanis: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Toronto David Clarkson: 10 minutes, leaving player’s/penalty bench
10:01 Buffalo Chad Ruhwedel: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Buffalo Chad Ruhwedel: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Buffalo Drew Bagnall: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Toronto Phil Kessel: 10 minutes, match penalty
10:01 Toronto Carter Ashton: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Toronto Jonathan Bernier: 2 minutes, goalie leave crease
10:01 Toronto Jonathan Bernier: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Toronto Jonathan Bernier: 10 minutes, game misconduct
10:01 Buffalo Ryan Miller: 2 minutes, goalie leave crease
10:01 Buffalo Ryan Miller: 5 minutes, fighting
10:01 Buffalo Ryan Miller: 10 minutes, game misconduct
10:01 Toronto Carter Ashton: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Toronto Tyler Bozak: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Toronto Tj Brennan: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Toronto Andrew Macwilliam: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Toronto David Clarkson: 10 minutes, leaving player’s/penalty bench
10:01 Buffalo Drew Bagnall: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Buffalo Michael Zigomanis: 10 minutes, misconduct
10:01 Buffalo Brian Flynn: 10 minutes, misconduct