- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Marek Zidlicky
Morning Hits: Canucks playing catch-up, Devils want Zidlicky back, Avs wait on coach’s and Pens lines
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Player size is gaining more importance to teams, and some teams have to catch-up with the trend.
“When I took this job, we decided on a style of play that resulted in great success. Clearly the landscape has changed, and we have to address those changes moving forward,” said Canucks GM Mike Gillis during his season-ending press conference. “It’s quite clear the league is going in a direction that we have to recognize and adapt to. It doesn’t just happen in one playoff series.”
“You can’t have all big guys; you can’t win with all small guys,” he said. “Character comes into play. I don’t care how big you are, if you have no character you’re not going to succeed.”
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is still completing his interviews and evaluatation process.
Lamoriello said “everything is open” as far as bringing back unsigned players “no decisions have been made on anything.”
Defenseman Marek Zidlicky will be a UFA and the Devils would like to have him back.
“We’d certainly like to have him back,” Lamoriello said.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: It’s not looking like the Avalanche will have a new head coach any time soon. The Avs may wait and see what happens with Coyotes coach Dave Tippett, whose contract expires June 30th. Lindy Ruff could also be an option. Sakic may not want to hire someone straight from Junior, so Patrick Roy could be out.
- Shelly Anderson: Penguins lines at practice yesterday: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis, Neal-Malkin-Iginla, Morrow-Sutter-Cooke, Adams-Vitale-Kennedy, Bennett-Jokinen-Glass (Jeffrey)
Here is a list of players that have signed contracts to play overseas during the NHL lockout.
We will continue to update as long as players keep signing.
|Player||2012-13 NHL Team||Lockout Team||League|
|Artem Anisimov||Columbus||Lokomotiv Yaroslavl||KHL|
|Nik Antropov||Winnipeg||HC Barys||KHL|
|Anton Babcuk||Calgary||HC Donbass||KHL|
|Nicklas Backstrom||Washington||HC Dynamo Moscow||KHL|
|Niklas Backstrom||Minnesota||Dynamo Minsk||KHL|
|Matt Beleskey||Anaheim||Coventry||EIHL (UK)|
|Jamie Benn||Dallas||Hamburg Freezers||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Sean Bergenheim||Florida||HIFK Helsinki||SM-liiga|
|Patrice Bergeron||Boston||HC Lugano||Swiss National A League|
|Patrik Berglund||St. Louis||Vasteras||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Jonathan Bernier||Los Angeles||Heilbronner Falken||ESBG (Ger)|
|Sergei Bobrovsky||Columbus||SKA St. Petersburg||KHL|
|Damien Brunner||Detroit||EV Zug||KHL|
|Ilya Bryzgalov||Philadelphia||CSKA Moscow||KHL|
|Roman Cervenka||Calgary||Slavia Praha||Czech Extraliga|
|Zdeno Chara||Boston||HC Lev Praha||KHL|
|David Clarkson||New Jersey||EC Red Bull Salzburg||EBEL (Aus)|
|Erik Condra||Ottawa||EV Fussen||Oberliga (Ger)|
|Logan Couture||San Jose||Geneva-Servette||Swiss National A League|
|Matt D’Agostini||St. Louis||SC Ressersee||ESBG (Ger)|
|Pavel Datsyuk||Detroit||CSKA Moscow||KHL|
|Kaspars Daugavins||Ottawa||Dynamo Riga||KHL|
|Michael Del Zotto||NY Rangers||Rappersil-Jona Lakers||Swiss National A League|
|Jason Demers||San Jose||Oulu||SM-liiga|
|Raphael Diaz||Montreal||EV Zug||Swiss National A League|
|Rick DiPietro||NY Islanders||SC Riessersee||ESBG (Ger)|
|Matt Duchene||Colorado||Frolunda HC||Swedish Elite League|
|Christian Ehrhoff||Buffalo||Krefeld||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Lars Eller||Montreal||JYP||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Alexei Emelin||Montreal||Ak Bars||KHL|
|Cory Emmerton||Detroit||SalPa||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Deryk Engelland||Pittsburgh||Rosenborg||GET-Ligaen (Nor)|
|Tyler Ennis||Buffalo||SC Langnau||Swiss National A League|
|Jhonas Enroth||Buffalo||Huddinge IK||Sweden Division 1|
|Tobias Enstrom||Winnipeg||EC Red Bull Salzburg||EBEL (Aus)|
|Jonathan Ericsson||Detroit||Sodertalje EK||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Viktor Fasth||Anaheim||Tingsryd||Swedish League (T2)|
|Ruslan Fedotenko||Philadelphia||HC Donbass||KHL|
|Eric Fehr||Winnipeg||HPK||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Andrew Ference||Boston||Ceske Budejovice||Czech Extraliga|
|Valtteri Filppula||Detroit||Jokerit||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Kurtis Foster||Minnesota||Tappara||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Cody Franson||Toronto||Brynas||Swedish Elite League|
|Michael Frolik||Chicago||HC Chomutov||Czech Extraliga|
|Sam Gagner||Edmonton||EC KAC||EBEL (Aus)|
|Sergei Gonchar||Ottawa||Metallurg||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Mikhail Grabovski||Toronto||CSKA Moscow||KHL|
|Colin Greening||Ottawa||Aalborg Pirates||AL-Bank Ligaen|
|Carl Hagelin||NY Rangers||Sodertalje SK||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Martin Hanzal||Phoenix||NC Mountfield||Czech Extraliga|
|Victor Hedman||Tampa Bay||HC Barys||KHL|
|Ales Hemsky||Edmonton||Pardubice||Czech Extraliga|
|Patric Hornqvist||Nashville||Djurgardens IF||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Jiri Hudler||Calgary||Lev Praha||KHL|
|Jaromir Jagr||Dallas||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Jesse Joensuu||NY Islanders||Assat||Finnish League|
|Marcus Johansson||Washington||BIK Karlskoga||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Jussi Jokinen||Carolina||Oulu||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Roman Josi||Nashville||Bern||Swiss National A League|
|Tomas Kaberle||Montreal||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Evander Kane||Winnipeg||HC Dinamo Minsk||KHL|
|Patrick Kane||Chicago||EHC Biel||Swiss National A League|
|Erik Karlsson||Ottawa||Jokerit||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Anton Khudobin||Boston||HC Atlant Moscow Oblast||KHL|
|Jakub Kindl||Detroit||CSOB Pojistovna Pardubice||Czech Extraliga|
|Rostislav Klesla||Phoenix||Trinec||Czech Extraliga|
|Tomas Kopecky||Florida||HK Dukla Trencin||Slovak Extraliga|
|Mikko Koivu||Minnesota||TPS Turku||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Anze Kopitar||Los Angeles||Mora||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Lauri Korpikoski||Phoenix||TPS||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Sergei Kostitsyn||Nashville||Avangard Omsk||KHL|
|Ilya Kovalchuk||New Jersey||SKA St. Petersburg||KHL|
|David Krejci||Boston||Pardubice||Czech Extraliga|
|Pavel Kubina||Philadelphia||HC Vitkovice Steel||Czech Extraliga|
|Dmitry Kulikov||Florida||HC Lokomotiv||KHL|
|Gabriel Landeskog||Colorado||Djargarden||Swedish Elite League|
|Brooks Laich||Washington||Kloten Flyers||Swiss National A League|
|Philip Larsen||Dallas||Lukko||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Anders Lindback||Tampa Bay||Ilves||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Clarke MacArthur||Toronto||ETC Crimmitschau||ESBG (Ger)|
|Andrew MacDonald||NY Islanders||HC Karlovy Vary||Czech Extraliga|
|Andrei Markov||Montreal||HC Vityaz||KHL|
|Radek Martinek||Columbus||Ceske Budejovice||Czech Extraliga|
|Ryan McDonagh||NY Rangers||HC Barys||KHL|
|Milan Michalek||Ottawa||NC Mountfield||Czech Extraliga|
|Brendan Mikkelson||Tampa Bay||Vasteras||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Drew Miller||Detroit||Braehead Clan||EIHL (UK)|
|Douglas Murray||San Jose||Djurgardens IF||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Tyler Myers||Buffalo||EC KAC||EBEL (Aus)|
|Rick Nash||NY Rangers||Davos||Swiss National A League|
|Michal Neuvirth||Washington||Sparta Praha||Czech Extraliga|
|Frans Nielsen||NY Islanders||Lukko||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Nikita Nikitin||Columbus||Avangard Omsk Oblast||KHL|
|Andreas Nodl||Carolina||HC TWK Innsbruck||EBEL (Austria)|
|Patrick O’Sullivan||Phoenix||HIFK Helsinki||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Alex Ovechkin||Washington||Dynamo Moscow||KHL|
|Max Pacioretty||Montreal||Ambri Piotta||Swiss National A League|
|Ondrej Pavelec||Winnipeg||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Lennart Petrell||Edmonton||HIFK||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Rich Peverley||Boston||JYP||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Tomas Plekanec||Montreal||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Roman Polak||St. Louis||HC Vitkovice||Czech Extraliga|
|Alexei Ponikarovsky||Winnipeg||HC Donbass||KHL|
|Corey Potter||Edmonton||Vienna Capitals||EBEL (Austria)|
|Vinny Prospal||Columbus||NC Mountfield||Czech Extraliga|
|Tuukka Rask||Boston||HC Plzen||Czech Extraliga|
|Matt Read||Philadelphia||Sodertalje SK||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Peter Regin||Ottawa||Langenthal||Swiss National B League|
|Pekka Rinne||Nashville||HC Dinamo Minsk||KHL|
|Stephane Robidas||Dallas||HIFK||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Michal Roszival||Chicago||HC Plzen||Czech Extraliga|
|Kris Russell||St. Louis||TPS Turku||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Mike Santorelli||Florida||Tingsryds AIF||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Luca Sbisa||Anaheim||HC Lugano||Swiss National A League|
|Tom Sestito||Philadelphia||Sheffield Steelers||EIHL (UK)|
|Tyler Seguin||Boston||EHC Biel||Swiss National A League|
|Dennis Seidenberg||Boston||Adler Mannheim||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Andrej Sekera||Buffalo||HC Slovan Bratislava||KHL|
|Alexander Semin||Carolina||Sokol Krasnoyarsk||VHL (Russia)|
|Wayne Simmonds||Philadelphia||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Jack Skille||Florida||Rosenborg||GET-Ligaen (Nor)|
|Ladislav Smid||Edmonton||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Craig Smith||Nashville||KalPa||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Vladimir Sobotka||St. Louis||Slavia Praha||Czech Extraliga|
|Jason Spezza||Ottawa||Rapperswil-Jona||Swiss National A League|
|Jared Spurgeon||Minnesota||SC Langnau||Swiss National A League|
|Viktor Stalberg||Chicago||Frolunda HC||Swedish Elite League|
|Alexander Steen||St. Louis||Modo||Swedish Elite League|
|Chris Stewart||St. Louis||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Mark Streit||NY Islanders||Bern||Swiss National A League|
|Vladimir Tarasenko||St. Louis||SKA St. Petersburg||KHL|
|Tomas Tatar||Detroit||SHK 37 Piestany||Slovak Extraliga|
|John Tavares||NY Islanders||SC Bern||Swiss National A League|
|Joe Thornton||San Jose||Davos||Swiss National A League|
|Jiri Tlusty||Carolina||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Thomas Vanek||Buffalo||Graz 99ers||EBEL (Austria)|
|Semyon Varlamov||Colorado||HC Lokomotiv||KHL|
|Semyon Varlamov||Colorado||Lokomotiv Yaroslavl||KHL|
|Lubomir Visnovsky||NY Islanders||Slovan Bratislava||KHL|
|Jakub Voracek||Philadelphia||HC Lev Praha||KHL|
|Tom Wandell||Dallas||Severstal Cherepovets||KHL|
|Yannick Weber||Montreal||Geneva-Servette||Swiss National A League|
|Blake Wheeler||Winnipeg||EHC Munchen||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Tommy Wingels||San Jose||Kookoo||Mestis (Div II)|
|Marek Zidlicky||New Jersey||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Henrik Zetterberg||Detroit||EV Zug||Swiss National A League|
|Sources: TSN, The Fourth Period and others.|
* Updated: Oct 12th
* Niklas Backstrom had signed with Dynamo Minsk, but he got injured and they went with Pekka Rinne instead.
Radulov-Kostitsyn broke curfew by an hour … Preds notes … Semin done with Caps, NHL? Kreider moves up to 2nd line
- Michael Farber of SI.com (via Dirk Hoag of On the Forecheck): Predators Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn broke curfew by 1 hour, which earned them their 1 game suspension. They were poolside at the W, an alcohol free soiree according to a source.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Ryan Suter’s free agent decision will affect Shea Weber’s situation. Throw in Radulov’s free agency and curfew violations, it’s going to be busy offseason for the Predators. They have 15 total free agents. 3 things that we know for sure: “1. The Suter, Weber, Radulov story lines will dominate the offseason for Nashville. 2. If Suter does decide to leave, it won’t be a ll doom and gloom for Nashville. 3. The Predators must make a decision on Sergei Kostitsyn.”
- Darren Dreger of TSN: Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin has called Brian Burke several times to try and persuade him to allow Rick Dudley to join the Habs before the Draft, but it’s not a top priority for Burke. There is a window that allows Dudley to leave, and the Leafs control the situation until it opens. At the next GM meetings, some GMs will bring up compensation for head coaches, GMs, and assistant GMs that are hired by other teams. Dreger says that Ryan Suter has earned the right to test the free agent market, and it won’t be an easy decision for him to sign elsewhere. It is possible that they could keep both Suter and Shea Weber, but it would have a financial strain on the team, depending on the new CBA.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Alexander Semin could be playing in his last game for the Capitals, and maybe his last NHL game. He’ll be a UFA and the Capitals “won’t re-sign him.”
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Sports.ru is reporting that Kirill Kabanov will play of Salavat of the KHL. BD Gallof via twitter: KHL is better money than the AHL. Isles fan shouldn’t worry if Kabanov says there for a year, if it’s 2 years, then worry.
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Apparently the Flyers have so many players that may require surgery, they won’t be able to sort it out until next week.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils coach Peter DeBoer expects Anton Volchenkov and Marek Zidlicky to be ready for Game 1 of the conference finals.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Rangers forward Chris Kreider was practicing with the 2nd line, Ryan Callahan and Derek Stepan, yesterday.
Zidlicky should be ready … Preds-Suter to talk in a couple weeks … Some Habs candidates … Jagr to wait … Koivu re-signs
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Game 7 between the Capitals and Rangers will be at 7:30 pm on Saturday.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Devils Marek Zidlicky is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury but should be ready for the next round.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Predators Ryan Suter said he spoke with GM David Poile Wednesday morning.
“We talked about everything and the future, and how everything will go, and I think we’re going to meet again in a couple of weeks and kind of make a decision,” he said.
Suter wants to take some time unwind.
“Wherever I sign I want to be there for the rest of my career, and that affects my family, my wife, my kid (and) if we have more kids,” Suter said. “Everything plays into it.”
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Canadiens are expected to interview a wide range of candidates: Marc Crawford, Bob Hartley, Patrick Roy, Michel Therrien, Benoit Groulx (Gatineau), Sylvain Lefebvre (Colorado assistant). Bryan Marchment could join the Sharks coaching staff. The Predators must “sit down with Ryan Suter and ask for an honest appraisal of his future. If he won’t sign (or give you enough assurance), it’s time to let teams talk to him in advance of July 1. Get what you can. ” The Blue Jackets will likely pass on taking the LA Kings 1st rounder this year as it will be in the bottom 4.
- Adam Kimelman of NHL.com: The Flyers will likely have the cap room to re-sign Jaromir Jagr if they want, but Jagr isn’t ready to commit to next year just yet.
“Right now I don’t know,” he said about his future following Game 5. “I don’t know what’s going to happen.”
- Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: Botchford wouldn’t be surprised if Roberto Luongo’s list is more than 5 teams. Would he really want to come back to Vancouver and play 30-35 games? Some people claim that Ryan Suter has a list of teams he wants to play for, and the Predators aren’t on it. If Suter leaves, it puts more pressure on the Shea Weber situation. If they aren’t able to lock him up long-term, the Preds will have to either sign him to a 1 year deal or look to trade him. Botchford wonders if the Canucks would have enough to pull off a Weber trade. Ryan Kesler is damaged goods at the moment. Kevin Bieksa is locked up with a no-trade clause. Jannik Hansen might interest the Predators, but only as an add on piece. Defenseman Alex Edler would fit in nice at $3.25 million, but he has only 1 year left before he becomes a UFA.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: The Ducks have re-signed Saku Koivu to a 1 year deal worth $3 million plus bonuses.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: A decision on Blue Jackets interim coach Todd Richards won’t be made this week, possibly next week.
Audio: Lou Lamoriello talking about the trade.
Dam Rosen via twitter: The Minnesota Wild will receive Kurtis Foster, Nick Palmieri, Stephane Veilleux, a 2012 2nd round pick and a 2013 conditional pick from the New Jersey Devils for Marek Zidlicky. Michael Russo via twitter: conditional pick is 3rd round pick if the Devils reach the conference finals.
Rich Chere via twitter: The 2nd round pick will be Washington’s 2nd round pick. (NJ acquired the pick in the Jason Arnott trade).
Zidlicky has one more year left on his contract at $4 million.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Minnesota Wild defenseman Marek Zidlicky has waived his no trade clause to be dealt to the New Jersey Devils.
A deal has not been announced yet, but it appears to be imminent.
- Mark Spector via twitter: The Rangers liked Zidlicky, especially if a young defenseman goes to Nashville.
Follow below link for all player stats
Sunday morning rumors and notes involving deadline buyers and sellers, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Kings, Blackhawks and Oilers
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:
“The prices, in some cases, are embarrassing,” said a league executive. “They’re going to get more realistic closer to the deadline, but right now teams are asking for too much for their players.”
Garrioch lists the Sellers and who is available: Carolina – Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek. Columbus – Jeff Carter, Antoine Vermette, Derick Brassard, Rick Nash and Steve Mason. NY Islanders – Mark Eaton, Steve Staios, Milan Jurcina, P.A. Parenteau. Tampa Bay – Ryan Malone. Edmonton – Ales Hemsky, Nikolai Khabibulin and Theo Peckham. Montreal – Travis Moen, Andrei Kostitsyn and Mathieu Darche.
The Buyers and who they like: San Jose – Rick Nash, Teemu Selanne and Ales Hemsky. Boston – Teemu Selanne, Ales Hemsky and Mike Knuble. Los Angeles – Rick Nash, Teemu Selanne and Ales Hemsky. Chicago – Nikolai Khabibulin, Bryan Allen and Derek Roy. Washington – Ales Hemsky and Antoine Vermette. Nashville – Ales Hemsky and Jarret Stoll.
Top 10 players to watch: 1. Rick Nash 2. Teemu Selanne 3. Jeff Carter 4. Ales Hemsky 5. Ryan Malone 6. Jarrett Stoll 7. Jaroslav Specek 8. Derek Roy 9. Antoine Vermette 10. Nikolai Khabibulin.
Keep an eye on: Mike Knuble, Bobby Ryan, Josh Harding, Jonathan Bernier, and Ryan Miller.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: If the NHL is helping out the Devils financially, “it is shortsighted for the league to withhold approval of deals that presumably would strengthen these wards of the state.” If they are able to trade for Marek Zidlicky, “it would be penny-wise but pound-foolish for the league to prevent it.”
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: The Leafs could look for a #1 goalie in the summer.
- Spector’s Hockey via twitter: Hockey Central suggested that the Blackhawks and Sharks might have interest in Oilers Nikolai Khabibulin.
- Dustin Leed via twitter: Scouting the Flyers – Penguins game: 2 Blue Jackets (GM Scott Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick were on the list to attend), 2 Blackhawks, Kings, Predators, Canadiens, Avalanche, Flames, Panthers and Blues. Randy Miller via twitter: Miller notes that 2 Blue Jackets executives have been at a Flyers 3 times this week. He thinks talks must be serious.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Scouting the Blue Jackets – Blackhawks game: Blues, Hurricanes, Senators, Washington, Red Wings, Rangers, Stars, Flyers and Canadiens.
- Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove notes by Spector’s Hockey (video not posted): Eric Francis said that some NHL GMs doubt Nash will get traded at the deadline. The Blue Jackets are looking for an impact player, 2 top prospects and a 1st round pick. Elliotte Friedman noted that the Blue Jackets are trying to push Nash on the Flyers, and that they’d prefer to move Jeff Carter to the Kings. Francis said that Patrick Kane is happy in Chicago and they are happy with him. Friedman suggested that the Blackhawks could face some questions if they have a short playoff run. Francis said the Flames haven’t had contract talks with Olli Jokinen, but he’s not going anywhere. Sam Gagner also isn’t going anywhere.
Grabovski ignores rumors … JVR could return today … Johansen staying … Kubina to hand in list … Devils looking for D
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Mikhail Grabovski on recent trade talk:
“Nope,” he said. “Haven’t heard it. Don’t think about it. Don’t listen to the radio or read the papers.
“I’m a Toronto Maple Leaf now. I play for the Leafs and I want to keep playing for the Leafs. That’s all I’m thinking about.”
The Maple Leafs won’t move him unless the deal is significant. The ideal trade would be bring them back a player(s) that would help immediately. Burke thinks he could get an offer for 1st and prospect for Grabovski. A Leaf executive said any deal involving picks/prospects would have to “blow us away.” Coach Ron Wilson thinks Grabovski will be re-signed. Numbers being mentioned are in the $5 – $5.4 million range.
- Randy Miller via twitter: The Flyers may be getting James van Riemsdyk back from his concussion for today’s game. “We’ll see,” van Riemsdyk said after practicing Friday at Skate Zone. “Maybe.”
- Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch: Blue Jackets rookie Ryan Johansen will be a healthy scratch for the 5th time in 7 games. He’ll finish the year with the Blue Jackets rather than return to Portland of the WHL. Brett Lebda was activated from the IR, and goalie Curtis Sanford was put on the IR with back problems.
- Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News: Flyers forward Tom Sestito will be out 6-8 weeks after he’ll have surgery to repair a torn groin muscle.
- Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times: Pavel Kubina’s agent said that the Lightning could have Kubina’s list of teams he’d accept a trade to as early as Saturday. “Kuby is always a gentleman, so I don’t think it’s going to take seven days. … We’re going to go through some stuff (Saturday) and we’re going to come to some conclusions.”
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Luke Schenn was pretty surprised when he was made a healthy scratch this week. His name is also in the rumor mill, being tied to James van Riemsdyk and Rick Nash. “I guess it’s all part of playing in Toronto,” said Schenn. Wilson said Schenn will be back in the lineup on Saturday.
- Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com: The Devils are looking to add a defenseman by the deadline. Adam Larsson and Henrik Tallinder are out with injuries. Marek Zidlicky would waive his no trade clause to go to the Devils. Zidlicky has 1 year left on his deal. Pavel Kubina and Johnny Oduya will be UFAs after the season.
Afternoon rumors involving: Blue Jackets, Jets, Sabres, Canadiens, Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, Kings, Avalanche, Islanders, Crosby, Hunter and starting goalies
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Blue Jackets don’t expect to make any trades this weekend, but one phone call could change that.
- Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said yesterday there’s no doubt he’s a buyer. “I’m always going to be trying to acquire assets. I’m always looking to make our team better for the future.” “It’s not just other teams asking about (our young players),” he said. “There are a lot of things that are talked about.” Cheveldayoff said there hasn’t been any contract extension talk with any of their pending UFAs: Jim Slater, Tanner Glass, Kyle Wellwood, Tim Stapleton, Johnny Oduya, Randy Jones, Mark Flood and Chris Mason.
- Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Burnside thinks it’s time for the Sabres to start making some deals. The Canadiens should find a taker for Hal Gill and perhaps Andrei Kostitsyn. Travis Moen and Chris Campoli could also be moved. The Bruins and Rangers will both be looking to add some depth along the blueline. A source said the Flyers could also be looking at adding another Dman. Hurricanes Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek will be UFAs. Luke Schenn could be had if it helps the Leafs land a top 6 forward. The Kings Jack Johnson could be in play, but they’d need to get a top forward back
- Adrian Deter of the Denver Post: Dater thinks the Avalanche will move a defenseman, with Shane O’Brien making sense. Dater also thinks teams will be interested Ryan Wilson, Ryan O’Byrne and Kyle Quincey.
- David Hutchinson of the Star Ledger: The Devils are looking for a veteran defenseman. Marek Zidlicky is one possibility, and he’s already waived his no trade clause for them.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: The Islanders are looking for a top 4 defenseman.
- Pens Inside Scoop via twitter: Penguins Sidney Crosby skated with teammates today because of ice time availability. No change in his status.
- Joe Haggerty via twitter: Bruins forward Rich Peverley is out 4 to 6 weeks with a grade 3 MCL sprain in his right knee.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The Kings have put Trent Hunter on waivers.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Jonas Hiller will start in net for the Ducks tonight against Martin Brodeur and the Devils.
- Harvey Fialkov via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start for the Capitals against Jose Theodore and the Panthers.
- Marc Antoine Godin via twitter: Carey Price will start in net for the Canadiens against the Sabres.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning defenseman Pavel Kubina has been asked to provide a list of teams he’d accept a trade too. Kubina has a limited no trade clause. GM Steve Yzerman wouldn’t say if a trade is imminent, but in the interim he won’t play. Yzerman said the trade deadline is a time to replenish their organizational depth. Prospects and draft picks will be a priority. Getting a goalie will likely happen in the summer.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: Sources are saying that Wild defenseman Marek Zidlicky will be scratched from tonight’s game against the Jets. A trade hasn’t been made, but they want to make sure an injury doesn’t occur.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: The Kings are after a scoring winger, and are believed to be interested in Rick Nash. It doesn’t sound like winger Simon Gagne is close to returning. Rick Nash would be a perfect fit. They may have to part with Jack Johnson, Jonathan Bernier and a couple prospects. If they can’t land Nash, Jeff Carter could be another option, reuniting him with Mike Ricahrds.
“Don’t count L.A. out of that mix,” said an NHL source. “They’re looking for a top-six forward big time.”
Ales Hemsky could be another option, but tensions have been little high between the Oilers and Kings from the Ryan Smyth fiasco this past summer. A NHL scout breaks down LA’s trade deadline strategy:
“They’re pretty solid in goal, their defense is steady. They have guys back there with Johnson and Drew Doughty who can provide offense. I can see them wanting to add a [Jeff] Carter-type guy. I think they could use a fourth-line guy too.
“But I think they should go out and get that top two line player. If they’re going to move Jack Johnson, it’s no secret, he’s not the most defensive-minded guy. He brings that offensive upside and he’s still young. If you’re giving him up because you want to get better, you’d better make sure [of a big return]. He has a bomb for a shot, and in the playoffs special teams can win or lose you a game.”
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: 3 teams are interested in Blue Jackets center Jeff Carter.
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Jeremy Roenick recently suggested he’d trade Patrick Kane for a top goaltender. Strickland says the idea of moving Kane as come up, and some realize they need to give up something big to get something big. Offensively they could survive with Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa, and Dave Bolland. Sources are saying that Miller is unhappy with Buffalo and would waive his no trade clause for Chicago. There had been speculation that he’d only accept a trade to LA or Anaheim to be closer to his wife (actress Noureen DeWulf), but that is inaccurate. Kane is 23 and is owed $6.5 million through 2015. Miller is 31 and is owed $6.25 million through 2014. Ryan Miller hasn’t been approached by anyone in the organization regarding a trade.
- Brian McNally via twitter: Capitals GM George McPhee said he has no interest in trading Mike Knuble.
Not so fast on Zidlicky to Devils … Lightning to be sellers … Holmgren talks rentals … Wild talk … Smyth and Ruutu off market
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The Wild haven’t asked Marek Zidlicky to waive his no-trade clause yet for New Jersey. He may not be traded until the summer says one source. Michael Russo via twitter: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher: “I haven’t made the decision to trade him for now for sure. … Different scenarios I’m contemplating”
- Eric Erlendsson via twitter: A goalie and defense won’t help the Lightning get into the playoffs this year. They will be sellers and look to fill those positions in the summer.
- Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News: The Flyers have made it no secret that they are looking a defenseman, but who isn’t. Holmgren will be cautious with rentals.
“I don’t think that means we’re not looking around to try to improve ourselves,” Holmgren said. “I think you weigh what the cost is. I don’t really have any trouble making a deal that makes sense now and for the future. With those rental deals, you have to weigh the costs and make a call.
“If we have opportunities to improve our hockey club, we’ll need to think seriously about that. Everyone is trying to load up.”
- Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs prospect Joe Colborne doens’t want to be trade-bait.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: The Wild have held preliminary talks with pending UFA Kyle Brodziak. The Wild are also interested in extending defenseman Clayton Stoner. If the Wild become sellers, they may look to deal Greg Zanon, Mike Lundin and Josh Harding.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: You can take Ryan Smyth off the trade market. The Red Wings, Bruins and Rangers were interested. LeBrun says you can offically take Tuomo Ruutu’s name off the trade market. Rutherford wants to re-sign him, and now he’ll be out for 3-4 weeks. A Hurricanes source said last night that Ruutu wouldn’t be going anywhere. Contract extension talks continue.
- George Johnson of the Calgary Herald: The Flames could use a #1 center like Jeff Carter, but Johnson doesn’t think there a fit. They could use a playmaking center instead of shooting center. Carter deal also expires when he’s 37, with a yearly cap hit of $5.27 million.
- Bill Watters via twitter: The Blue Jackets – Maple Leafs rumor mentioned a while ago (Watters mentioned Nash to Leafs) appears to be the Blue Jackets request and not a Maple Leafs offer.
Zidlicky waive no-trade for Devils … Caps working phones … Pens get cavity seach … Leaf notes … Ruutu out 3 weeks … Scouts for 2 games
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Marek Zidlicky has agreed to waive his no-trade clause to go to the Devils. A deal isn’t done yet.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: No GM is burning up the phone more than Capitals GM George McPhee. After landing in Toronto part way through their back-to-back games on Jan. 31st, the Penguins got a full-body cavity search when they got off the plane. The Maple Leafs don’t want to go above $5 million for Mikhail Grabovski. Grabovski’s side are looking at something along the lines of Phil Kessel’s $5.4 million. A source said that the Canucks might be a landing spot for Jeff Carter. Years ago the Canucks and Flyers talked about a Carter-Kesler deal. Carter’s deal doesn’t fit into the Canucks pay structure now though.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Burke would love to Ryan Getzlaf, but it wouldn’t likely happen to the summer, if at all. The Leafs may not want to meet the asking price for Rick Nash. They’d like James van Riemsdyk, but he’s out with a concussion. A rival NHL executive on Burke:
“He’s a deal-maker. He likes to make deals if there’s a common fit. He’s very fair when you’re trying to make a deal. [Assistant GM Dave] Nonis does some of the groundwork, but Burkie likes to keep his nose in there. He’s famous for his texting and emailing.”
There are still no plans for the Leafs to trade for a goalie. They don’t have much interest in Jeff Carter. Ryan Malone could be an option, but he has a no-movement clause, the Lightning aren’t sellers yet, and he has 4 years left at $4.5 million. Malone could come cheap. For the right deal they could move one of their defenseman: Carl Gunnarsson, Luke Schenn, Keith Aulie or Cody Franson. They haven’t ruled out moving Mikhail Grabovski. One scout on the Leafs deadline strategy:
“Everyone wants to get bigger and skilled, and it’s hard to get. They’re not a dime a dozen. Personally, their goaltending and back end would be a bit of a concern for me. Their coach, Ron Wilson — and I’m not a big fan of him — seems to be getting the most out of his players. I didn’t think [Joffrey] Lupul would keep this pace; him and Kessel obviously have chemistry. That’s great for Toronto. [Grabovski] is trending up, but he’s not the biggest guy. In the playoffs, you have to be able to wear down teams. When you’re small and finishing checks, you’re still not making the D work that hard. I think Columbus would jump all over [a Jeff Carter trade], and I think they would take a little less [than] what Philadelphia got for him. I can see Toronto wanting more up front. I’m not 100 percent sold on their goaltending. I’m not sure they know who their No. 1 guy is. As a team, if you don’t know who you’re going to run with — you just want to have that confidence if you have a bad game your goalie is going to pull one out. I don’t know if Toronto has that.”
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Sources saying the Blackhawks don’t currently have anything going on in the trade front.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Hurricanes Tuomo Ruutu will miss about 3 weeks with an upper body injury. Corey Masisak via twitter: Doesn’t think that this injury will scare off contenders. Maybe teams that are looking for a boost to get into the playoffs.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Travis Zajac will begin skating by the end of the week.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Scouting the Ducks-Wild game last night (teams on seating chart): Blackhawks, Coyotes, Jets, Sharks, Oilers and Canucks.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Scouting the Blues-Blue Jackets last night: Lightning, Stars, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Kings, Penguins and 2 from Washington.
Carter will be moved … Smyth staying with Oilers … Rangers want top 6 … Zidlicky could be dealt within days … Lines and starting goalies
- Brian Huddle via twitter: Huddle noted that Aaron Portzline said on TSN1050 that Blue Jackets forward Jeff Carter WILL be moved.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: The Rangers want to bring in a top 6 scorer, possibly a 3rd pairing, physical defenseman.
- Edmonton Oilers via twitter: GM Tambellini: “I have no plans to move Ryan Smyth. Ryan has made it clear that he wants to stay here and play for the Oilers.”
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Wild defenseman Marek Zidlicky could be moved within days.
- Jim Matheson via twitter: If Ales Hemsky would take a 2 year, $4.25 million per year deal, it would likely get done tomorrow. The Oilers are leery of a 4 or 5 year deal due to injury history.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Lightning forward Ryan Malone said he’s playing tonight.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals GM George McPhee on Mike Green, “…It’ll be no more than 7 to 10 days and it could be this wkend.”
- George Richards via twitter: Panthers defenseman Dmitry Kulikov is off his crutches and says that he’ll begin skating this week. Defenseman Jason Garrison will be out 7-10 days with a lower body injury.
- Tony Marinaro via twitter: Dreger said that the Canadiens wouldn’t get 1 call if they shopped Tomas Kaberle. One GM told Dreger that Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is the executive of the year for trading Kaberle.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs defenseman Carl Gunnarsson was put on the IR with an ankle injury and will miss at least 7 days.
- Mike Heika via twitter: Stars lines: Ott-Benn-Vincour. Eriksson-Ribeiro-Ryder. Nystrom-Fiddler-Dvorak. Dowell-Wandell-Burish.
- Sam Kasan of NHL.com: Pittsburgh Penguins lines: Kunitz-Malkin-Neal, Cooke-Staal-Dupuis, Sullivan-O’Reilly-Jeffrey, Adams-Vitale-Park, (Asham).
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils lines: Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk; Sykora-Elias-Clarkson; Ponikarovsky-Zubrus-Bernier; Veilleux-Josefson-Janssen.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Rangers lines: Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik. Hagelin-Richards-Callahan. Dubinsky-Boyle-Prust. Rupp-Mitchell-Fedotenko.
- Scott MacArthur via twitter: Maple Leafs lines: Lupul-Bozak-Kessel, MacArthur-Grabovski-Connolly, Crabb-Lombardi-Kulemin, Boyce-Steckel-Brown.
- Michael Russo via twitter: Josh Harding will start in net against the Ducks.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Jonas Gustavsson will start in net for the Leafs.