- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Mathieu Garon
Quick Hits: Waivers, Canes, Canucks. Vanek, Pens, Sharp, Dubinsky, Clowe, Oshie, Hossa, Sens and Starters
- Darren Dreger via twitter: On waivers today: Jeff Halpern (NYR), Joey Crabb (WSH), Zach Boychuk (CAR) and Brian Lee (TB).
- Michael Smith via twitter: Hurricanes goalie Dan Ellis took 17 stitches for a cut that just missed his MCL. Bob McKenzie via twitter: He’s expected to miss a week or two.
- Jason Botchford via twitter: Canucks David Booth will have surgery. There is a chance he’s able to get back for the playoffs.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: Penguins Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang won’t play.
- Tracey Myers via twitter: Blackhawks Patrick Sharp skated before practice but is still a week or two away from returning.
- Jeff Rimer via twitter: Blue Jackets Brandon Dubinsky won’t play tonight against the Flames.
- Kevin Kurz via twitter: Sharks Ryane Clowe won’t play tomorrow, but hopes to be back on Monday.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: It’s looking like Blues T.J. Oshie could be ready to return to the lineup tomorrow.
- Tim Sassone via twitter: Marian Hossa is not at the Blackhawks practice today.
- Brent Wallace via twitter: Senators Sergei Gonchar didn’t practice this morning. Ian Mendes via twitter: Gonchar should be taking the pre-game skate tomorrow and determining from that if he’ll be in the lineup.
- Brent Wallace via twitter: Senators defenseman Marc Methot said he should be ready to go tomorrow.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Viktor Fasth will start in net for the Ducks against the Red Wings.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start in net for the Penguins.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Sergei Bobrovsky will start in net for the Blue Jackets against the Flames.
- Brent Wallace via twitter: Robin Lehner will start in net tomorrow for the Senators.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Mattieu Garon will likely get both starts this weekend according to coach Guy Boucher.
Injury, Lines and Goalie Notes: Hurricanes, Capitals, Lightning, Canadiens, Stars, Oilers, Maple Leafs and Ducks
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Hurricanes Justin Faulk is out 2-4 weeks with a knee sprain.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals defenseman Mike Green said he’ll play tomorrow against the Jets.
- Mark Masters via twitter: Lightning coach Guy Boucher said that Victor Hedman is good to go.
- John Lu via twitter: Canadiens defensive pairings: Markov – Emelin; Gorges – Subban; Bouillon – Tinordi; Kaberle.
- Mike Heika via twitter: Stars lines: Whitney-Benn-Eriksson. Morrow-Roy-Cole. Smith-Eakin-Jagr. Nystrom-Fiddler-Roussel.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals lines: Johansson-Backstrom-Ovechkin, ?-Ribeiro-Brouwer, Chimera-Perreault-Fehr, Hendricks-Beagle-Ward.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Oilers lines: Jones-RNH-Eberle, Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov, Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky, Petrell-Smyth-Brown. Same defense. Dubnyk starts.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: James Reimer will start in net for the Maple Leafs tonight.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Mathieu Garon is looking like the starter for the Lightning against the Leafs.
- Mark Lazerus via twitter: Jonas Hiller will start in net for the Ducks against the Blackhawks.
- Nick Cotsonika via twitter: Blackhawks Patrick Sharp will be out for two to three weeks.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Rangers Brad Richards said there is no timetable for his return. He said there is no concussion, just soreness and is not a long-term injury.
- Florida Panthers via twitter: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said that Ed Jovanovski is still one to two weeks away from returning to the lineup.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning goalie Mathieu Garon had an MRI done on his lower-body injury and all is good. He will skate on Friday and then re-evaluate.
- Ansar Khan via twitter: Red Wings Darren Helm is at least a couple weeks away from returning to the lineup. He left the ice this morning as soon as they started doing drills. Valtteri Filppula stayed out.
- Florida Panthers: Panthers GM Dale Tallon announced that center Stephen Weiss will miss the rest of the season due to wrist surgery.
- Edmonton Oilers via twitter: Taylor Hall will return to the Oilers lineup tonight.
- Allan Walsh via twitter: Senators Milan Michalek will return to the lineup tonight.
- Michael Russo via twitter: Dave Bolland will return to the Blackhawks lineup tonight.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning winger Ryan Malone will not be in the lineup tonight against the Devils.
- Tampa Bay Lightning: Lightning goalie Mathieu Garon left last night’s game with a lower-body injury and didn’t return. Damian Cristodero via twitter: Garon said the injury is not serious and hopes to be ready to play in a few days.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: The Avalanche aren’t ruling out having defenseman Erik Johnson and Ryan Wilson back in the lineup on Wednesday.
- Florida Panthers via twitter: Panthers GM Tallon said that Kris Versteeg is day-to-day and they are hopeful he can return on Friday.
Lines: Canes, Devils, Pens, Stars, and Avs … Goalies: Wings, Avs, Blues, Isles, Leafs, Devils, Sens and Lightning
- Michael Smith via twitter: Hurricanes lines: Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin, Skinner-J. Staal-LaRose, Jokinen-Nash-Dwyer, Dalpe/Bowman /Brent/Westgarth/Wallace. Defensive pairings: Harrison-Faulk, Corvo-McBain, Gleason-Sanguinetti.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils lines: Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk; Elias-Zajac-Clarkson; Ponikarovsky-Gionta-Bernier; Matteau-Sestito-Butler. Defensive pairings: Salvador-Zidlicky; Greene-Larsson; Tallinder-Fayne.
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Neal Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy Glass-Vitale-Adams. Defensive pairings: Orpik-Martin Niskanen-Letang Engelland-Bortuzzo Eaton-Despres.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Stars lines: Morrow-Benn-Jagr; Roussel-Roy-Eriksson; Smith-Eakin-Cole; Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt. Defensive pairings: Dillon-Robidas; Benn-Daley; Goligoski-Oleksiak.
- Roger Millions via twitter: Avalanche’s morning lines: McGinn Mitchell Palushaj-Landeskog Stastny hejduk-McLeod Olver Jones -Bordeleau kobasew Palushaj. Defensive pairings: O’Byrne. Hunwick-Barrie Hejda-Zanon O’Brien.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Jonas Gustavsson is expected to get his first start for the Red Wings tonight.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Semyon Varlamov will start in net for the Avs against the Flames.
- Jeremy Rutherford via twitter: Jaroslav Halak will start in net for the Blues tonight.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Evgeni Nabokov will start in net for the Islanders tonight against the Maple Leafs.
- Mark Masters via twitter: Looking like James Reimer will start in net for the Maple Leafs.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Johan Hedberg will start in net for the Devils.
- Don Brennan via twitter: Robin Lehner will start in net for the Senators.
- Katie Strang via twitter: Mathieu Garon will be in net for the Lightning tonight against the Rangers.
Lines, Parings and Starting Goalies: Penguins, Devils, Hurricanes, Panthers, Islanders, Lightning and Capitals
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Neal Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis Bennett-Jeffrey-Kennedy Glass-Vitale-Adams. Defensive pairing: Orpik-Martin Niskanen-Letang Engelland-Despres Eaton-Bortuzzo.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Defensive pairings and goalies: Salvador-Zidlicky; Greene-Larsson; Volchenkov-Harrold; Tallinder-Fayne. Goalies: Hedberg, Kinkaid.
- Chip Alexander viat twitter: Hurricanes defensive pairings: Harrison-Sangs; Murphy-Gragnani: Corvo-Faulk.
- Steve Goldstein via twitter: Jose Theodore will start in net for the Panthers tonight against the Penguins.
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start in net for the Penguins.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Evgeni Nabokov will start in net for the Islanders.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Cam Ward is the first off the ice and likely starter against the Capitals tonight.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Mathieu Garon will start in net for the Lightning tonight.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Braden Holtby will start in today for the Capitals. Michal Neuvirth will start in net on Wednesday.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils lines: Matteau-Zajac-Kovalchuk; Elias-Henrique-Clarkson; Carter-Gionta-Bernier; Barch-Josefson-Butler/Darche. Defensive pairings and goalies: Salvador-Fayne; Greene-Larsson; Volchenkov-Zidlicky; Tallinder-Harrold. Goalies: Brodeur, Hedberg.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Rangers lines: Gaborik-Richards-Callahan Hagelin-Stepan-Nash Miller-Boyle-Pyatt Asham-Halpern-Powe.
- David Alter via twitter: Maple Leafs lines: JVR-Bozak-Kessel, Komarov-Grabo-Kulemin, MacArthur-Kadri-McClement, Orr-Steckel-McLaren. Extra, Brown. Defensive pairings: Phaneuf-Holzer, Liles-Kostka,Fraser-Franson, extra: Komisarek.
- NY Islanders via twitter: Evgeni Nabokov will start in net for the Islanders against the Rangers.
- Sean Hartnett via twitter: Martin Biron will start in net for the Rangers.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Mathieu Garon will start in net for the Lightning.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Ben Scrivens will be in net for the Maple Leafs against Dan Ellis and the Hurricanes.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Bill Daly said in an email on Saturday, “No meetings are scheduled at this point.” Wild Zenon Konopka was at the meetings and had this to say,
“A lot was said and a lot needs to be processed and I think it probably takes a day or two to think about it and come up with some new ideas,” Wild centre Zenon Konopka, who sat in on Friday’s session, said from New York on Saturday.
“It’s hard to know, to be honest with you,” said Konopka. “I think there’s going to be some new ideas in the next week or so. As for a proposal, you’ve got to think there’s going to be something before Sept. 15 but I can’t say that for sure.”
Over 200 players will meet with Don Fehr in New York on Wednesday and Thursday to get an update on where talks stand. Konopka added that the NHLPA are trying to get a CBA that will help small-market teams,
“As players we feel like we have to get to the root of the problem. We feel like we have to help small-market teams and we have to make sure they’re healthy going into the next three or four years,” said Konopka.
“If we can get those teams healthy, the whole league — including the players and fans — will be better for it.”
- Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel: During an informal workout, Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson suffered a “bad” shoulder injury. The Panthers haven’t confirmed the injury yet, if the source said if it’s as serious as he believes, Gudbranson could be out for 4 months.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Rangers GM Glen Sather on contract talks with Michael Del Zotto, “He’ll come to his senses.” Sather added that Del Zotto’s offer is there and that the Rangers won’t negotiate against themselves.
- Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times: Anders Linback may be the Lightning’s number goalie of the future, but the according to Guy Boucher, Lindback and Mathieu Garon will be 1 and 1a for this season.
“They’re both going to get a lot of ice time,” Boucher. “I’m not expecting Lindback to come in here and play 65 games. He played 15 games the past two years, so it’s not fair to him. It’s not fair for the expectations.”
“We know he’s going to be good, but how good we don’t know,” Boucher said of Lindback. “That’s why Garon is perfect for him. He’ll be able to help him with how to manage things. And we know we can put Garon in net and get good results.”
- Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: Reports are that if/once the Coyotes sale goes through, Shane Doan will sign a 4 year, $21.5 million deal. ($.5.375 million cap hit)
- Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic: Shane Doan’s decision to stay with the Coyotes or sign elsewhere will affect Mike Smith (free agent next summer) and other free agents.
“If he leaves, it’ll be a big blow to this franchise and this organization,” goalie Mike Smith said. “I think it’ll determine whether or not people sign back here or how we lure in free agents in the future. It’ll definitely be interesting to figure all that out.”
“We were gonna kind of wait to see what Shane did, too,” Smith said. “Obviously he’s a huge piece of the puzzle in Phoenix.”
Crosby could return on Sunday … Injury notes involving the Flyers, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Lightning and Flames
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Penguins captain Sidney Crosby hinted that he could be returning to the lineup this Sunday against the Bruins.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Jaromir Jagr will test his hip at this mornings skate, but GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t expect him to go. Jakub Voracek will have a baseline test today, he passed a ‘less-detailed concussion exam’ on Tuesday after he was rocked by Niklas Kronwall. “I don’t want to say I feel too good, because every day is different,” said a subdued Voracek. “Hopefully, I can get back as soon as possible.” Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros and Kimmo Timonen won’t play tonight.
- Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs Joffrey Lupul will be out up to a month with a separated shoulder. Matt Frattin took Lupul’s spot the line with Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak. Mike Brown was injured on his first shift last night. Luke Schenn and Matthew Lombardi were healthy scratches last night. Brown has a lower body injury after slamming into the boards, and defenseman Cody Franson left after taking a stick to the eye.
- Damien Cox via twitter: The Leafs wanted to signed Penguins Brad Thiessen when he was a college free agent a few years ago. They ended up signing Ben Scrivens.
- Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: Andrei Markov said he’s “pretty close” to returning to the Canadiens lineup and “I can’t wait to get out and play again.”
- Erik Erendsson of the Tampa Tribune: Lightning goalie Mathieu Garon will be out 3 to 4 weeks with a partially torn groin muscle.
- Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald: The Flames have recalled Portland Winterhawks (WHL) Sven Baertschi. The Flames are without Tim Jackman, Lee Stempniak, Blair Jones, Mikael Backlund, Michael Cammalleri, Blake Comeau and Lance Bouma.
Afternoon notes on: Parise, Red Wings injuries, Hall, Vokoun, Markov, Rask, Hedman, Pens top PP unit, and Leafs lines
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Zach Parise’s x-rays on his hand showed no broken bones, and GM Lou Lamoriello expects him to play tomorrow.
- Ansar Khan via twitter: Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard’s ultrasound showed no real damage, and he’s hoping for Friday. Detroit Red Wings via twitter: Todd Bertuzzi, Dan Cleary, Jakub Kindle, Nicklas Lidstrom and Jimmy Howard are not skating today. Brian Hedger via twitter: Out for Wings tomorrow: “Howard, Kindl, Bertuzzi, Ericsson, Datsyuk, Eaves and likely Lidstrom; Cleary, Quincey, Hank also hurting.”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers forward Taylor Hall injured his left shoulder again and didn’t practice yesterday. Coach Tom Renney won’t rule Hall out for tonight.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals Tomas Vokoun aggravated a lower-body injury he suffered 10 days ago. Feeling better today.
- Arpon Basu via twitter: Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov has been cleared for contact.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: Bruins Tuukka Rask is out tomorrow. He’ll be evaluated today.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman could play tomorrow.
- Pens Inside Scoop via twitter: Penguins PP unit at practice: “Kennedy, Kunitz & Neal up front, Malkin & Sullivan at points”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: One pro scout on Dany Heatley: “That’s a long way from those 50-goal seasons. I don’t know if the game’s too fast for him now or he’s become a comfortable player.”
- David Alter via twitter: Maple Leafs lines: Lupul-Bozak-Kessel, MacArthur-Grabovski-Frattin, Armstrong-Steckel-Kulemin, Brown-Lombardi-Crabb-Rosehill-Connolly.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Leafs Jay Rosehill clears re-entry waivers.
- Pens Inside Scoop via twitter: Mike Smith appears to be the starting goalie for the Coyotes.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Mathieu Garon will start in net for the Lightning tomorrow against the Senators.
Stars considered offers for Ott and Souray … Preds offer for Nash didn’t include Ellis … Grabovski’s agent in T.O. next week … starting goalies
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk had some offers that they strongly considered for Steve Ott and Sheldon Souray.
“I would say there were a couple of things on the table that took a lot of time to sort through,” Nieuwendyk said. “But at the end of the day, we had a responsibility to put the best team on the ice right now to challenge for the playoffs and we didn’t want to risk moving anything that would not help us as far as the return moving into the future.”
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: Nashville’s big pitch for Rick Nash did not include Ryan Ellis. One GM thought the Sharks could have had a deal for Nash if they still had Charlie Coyle. The Leafs and Flyers sniffed around Josh Harding. Some teams thought Steve Ott was destined for the Maple Leafs, but the Stars changed their minds.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Sources are saying that the Stars wanted a 2nd round pick, a high end prospect and a roster player for Steve Ott. They also wanted a 2nd round pick and high end prospects for Sheldon Souray. The Islanders continue to have talks with Evgeni Navokov. They have had no contract discussions with P.A. Parenteauf as of yesterday afternoon.
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner may have been Scott Howson’s ‘must include’ list for any Rick Nash package.
- Mark Masters of TSN: Mikhail Grabovski’s agent said he plans on being in Toronto next week, and said ‘I believe that I will have some news for you’
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Told Nicklas Lidstrom is out.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Stars lines: Ott-Benn-Burish; Eriksson-Ribeiro-Ryder; Nystrom-Fiddler-Dvorak; Garbutt-Wandell-Vincour.
- Chuck Gormley via twitter: Capitals starting goalie will be a game time decision according to Dale Hunter. Gormley guesses Neuvirth.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Evgeni Nabokov will start in net for the Islanders.
- Paul Hendrick via twitter: Jose Theodore will start in net for the Panthers tonight against the Leafs. Jonas Siegel via twitter: James Reimer will start in net for the Leafs tonight.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Curtis Sanford will start in net for the Blue Jackets against Joey MacDonald and the Red Wings.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Looks like Cam Ward will start in net for the Hurricanes.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Mathieu Garon will start in net for the Lightning against the Canadiens.
- Tracey Myers via twitter: Corey Crawford will start in net for the Blackhawks tomorrow against the Maple Leafs.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Kari Lehtonen will start in net for the Stars tomorrow.
Blue Jackets getting closer … Vultures circling Avs … Roy can be had … Ward out with LBI … Nabokov – Isles to talk contract
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson: “We’re waiting for the right deals. We’re getting closer. But we’re not there yet.”
- The Globe and Mail: Burke has said he isn’t interested in adding a goalie at this point. They could look for one in the summer. Jhonas Enroth or Anders Lindback or any other goalie not going to Columbus could be available.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: “The vultures are circling around the Avs.” They could begin selling soon.
- Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun: The Sabres are looking to move Derek Roy. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said he won’t be looking to add another goalie.
“I like our goalies,” Holmgren said, presumably with a straight face. “They believe they are going to play better. They are not happy with their performances either. They both realize they have to play better.”
Colorado could be sellers by the end of the week, and JS Giguere could be available. He carries $1.25 million cap hit, and has 1 year left on his deal.
- Bucky Gleason of the Buffalo News: Derek Roy’s days in Buffalo could be numbered. He has another year at $4 million, which may make him attractive to some.
“Right now, this is my team,” Roy said. “I’m not a GM. I have no idea what they’re going to do. All I can do is play for my team, play for my linemates, go out every night like it was my first year and play as hard as I can every game.”
- Tim Wharnsby via twitter: Ty Conklin has been put on waivers by the Red Wings.
- Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer: Justin Peters will start in net for the Hurricanes tonight as Cam Ward is out with a lower-body injury. “I’m not going to take any chances (with Ward),” Muller said. “We’ve got a lot of games in March. … We need to assess (the injury) and stay on it and make sure it doesn’t get worse. Before he goes back in the net he needs to be 100 percent and ready to go.”
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Evgeni Nabokov’s agent, Don Meehan, said that negotiations with the Islanders will “start soon.” Isles GM Garth Snow would not comment.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Lightning center Vinny Lecavalier left practice with a lingering upper-body injury. It’s not believed to be serious.
- Gene Principe via twitter: Oilers goalie Nikolai Khabibulin will be out 7-10 days with a groin injury. Yann Danis has been recalled. Dan Tencer via twitter: Potential trade partners for Khabibulin don’t like the extra year on his deal.
- Jeff Veillette via twitter: The Blue Jackets and Senators are scouting the Leafs AHL team today.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals lines: Ovechkin-Perreault-Brouwer, Chimera-Johansson-Semin, Hendricks-Laich-Knuble, Beagle-Halpern-Ward.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Craig Anderson will start in net for the Senators. Zenon Konopka and Matt Carkner are scratches.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Mathieu Garon will start in net for the Lightning tomorrow against the Ducks.
- Rob Longley via twitter: Jonas Gustavsson will start in net for the Maple Leafs tomorrow. Joffrey Lupul and Carl Gunnarsson will be in.