- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Matt Kassian
NHL Rumors: Rangers and Gaborik, Senators, Johnson, Stars, Perry, Kings, Iginla, Bernier and the Canucks
- Andrew Gross of The Record: There are whispers that the Rangers could be gauging the interest for winger Marian Gaborik. It may not be until the offseason or until they think a new deal is implausible. His five year, $37.5 million contract expires after next season. There seems to be a growing disconnect between coach John Tortorella and Gaborik. Gaborik has been dropped to the third line on occasion, and has been switched to left wing this year.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: After acquiring Matt Kassian earlier this week, Senators GM Bryan Murray won’t be rushing to make any trades.
“It depends on how the team plays and the needs at the time,” said Murray. “We’ve got a number of bodies that hopefully are coming back in the near future.
“We’ll just have to wait to see how it plays out and if, and what, we can down around the trade deadline with the personnel that we have.”
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: (mailbag) Reader asks about the Stars possibly looking at Jack Johnson for Trevor Daly and a prospect deal. Heika’s magic eight-ball says to “Ask again later.” Heika notes that Johnson is injury prone and Daly hasn’t been. The Blue Jackets may not make Johnson available. Heika thinks most teams will pass on Panthers Brian Campbell due to his three years remaining at $7.1 million.
- Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun: Don’t think for minute that the Ducks will trade Corey Perry in the next month. Brennan thinks it makes sense for the Senators to go after him in the offseason. He could line up with one of best playmakers in Jason Spezza and one of the most dynamic defenseman in Erik Karlsson. They have the cap space.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: LeBrun says to watch the Kings if and when the Jarome Iginla sweepstakes begin. The Bruins and Penguins are interested, but the Kings have the right mix and could dangle Jonathan Bernier. LeBrun thinks the Kings may want to get a pick as well with Iginla for a possible future franchise goalie. The Red Wings could be interested in Iginla as well.Canucks GM Mike Gillis has been working the phones the last 7 to 10 days. They desperately want to find help up the middle. They may have been in the running for Stephen Weiss before he got hurt. They’ve checked in with the Sabres regarding Steve Ott. It doesn’t look like the Sabres are interested in moving him at this point.
The Rangers may not be shopping Marian Gaborik, but he is available if he brings them some of their targets at the deadline. The Rangers are looking for a right handed top-four defenseman and a couple bottom-six grinding type forwards.
The Minnesota Wild have traded right winger Matt Kassian to the Ottawa Senators for a 2014 6th round draft pick.
The 26-year old Kassian was drafted by the Wild 57th overall in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft. He carries a $575,000 cap hit, and will be a UFA after next season. Kassian has a $550,000 salary this season and will make $600,000 next year.
- Hockey Central via twitter: Bill Daly on the NHL going to the 2014 Sochi Olympics: ”I don’t expect any resolution or decisions this week.”
- Elliotte Friedman via twitter: Wild’s Matt Kassian clears waivers.
- Jason Gregor via twitter: Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney will be back in the lineup on Saturday
- Chicago Blackhawks via twitter: Ray Emery will start in net for Blackhawks against the Sharks.
- Farhan Lalji via twitter: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Canucks against the Stars.
Quick Hits: waivers, Pitkanen, Frattin, Lecavalier, Zubrus, Rakell, Isles and Pens lines, Allen and Theodore
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Danny Taylor and Jay Pandolfo clears waivers. Matt Zassian was put on waivers by the Wild.
- Michael Smith via twitter: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said that Joni Pitkanen is day-to-day with a lower-body injury and ”We do have to be careful because we rely very heavily on him. He plays a lot of minutes & he’s a very important player for us.”
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs Matt Frattin needs a procedure done on his knee and will be out a week.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning Vincent Lecavalier (left ankle) is not skating today. There haven’t been any setbacks, just a “body maintenance” day.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: The Devils have put winger Dainius Zubrus on the IR and called up Andrei Loktionov.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Ducks told Rickard Rakell last night that he’ll be returning to Plymouth of the OHL.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Islanders lines: Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo, Grabner-Aucoin-McDonald, Martin-Cizikas-Ullstrom/Boulton.
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Boychuk-Malkin-Neal Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy Glass-Vitale-Adams.
- Jeremy Rutherford via twitter: Jake Allen will start in net for the Blues.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Jose Thedore will start in net for the Panthers tomorrow against the Canadiens.
Morning notes: Sedin, Hall, Horcoff, Sutton, Gagne, Parise, Harding, Spurgeon, Backstrom, Vokoun, Zuccarello and Keith suspension video
- Jim Jamieson via twitter: Henrik Sedin said Daniel suffered his first concussion.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers Taylor Hall has been off the ice for the last 2 days. He won’t play on Sunday. Captain Shawn Horcoff left last night’s game with a sore back. Defenseman Andy Sutton has a minor knee issue.
- Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider: Kings Simon Gagne has been out since December 26th with a concussion, continues to skate but hasn’t practiced and won’t travel with the team on their 4 game road trip. If he’s not cleared for practice soon, the chances of him playing this year are not high. When asked if Gagne will play again this year, GM Dean Lombardi said “Doubt it.”
- The Fouth Period: It’s believed the Wild will try to sign Zach Parise this offseason if he’s not re-signed by the Devils before July 1st. Goalie Josh Harding is expected to test the open market and is not likely back with the Wild. The Lightning, Maple Leafs, Blue Jackets and Senators could take a look at Harding.
- Kent Youngblood of the Star Tribune: Wild Jared Spurgeon is out with a concussion. Niklas Backstrom and Matt Kassian didn’t travel with the team.
- Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post: Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun skated yesterday for 30 minutes and took some shots.
“Hopefully it stays the same and I can do a little bit more tomorrow,” Vokoun said after an extremely sparsely attending morning skate. “Then we’ll see, maybe shoot for some time next week.”
- Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News: Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello fractured his left wrist last night.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Kari Lehtonen will start in net for the Stars tonight.
- Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith was suspended for 5 games for his elbow on Canucks Daniel Sedin.
Rangers still interested in Souray? Pens looking for Dman? Some Devils demoted could be recalled by Friday
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The New York Rangers currently have 5 right-handed defensemen on the roster, and may be on the lookout to add a lefty. Sheldon Souray’s name continues to float around, but even if the Rangers could add some salary to the deal (Steve Eminger, Todd White and Derek Boogaard), Souray’s $5.4 cap hit would hurt next year’s budget when Wade Redden’s deal pops up again. The Rangers will search the waiver wire for left-handed defenseman. Vinny Prospal may require knee surgery that could end his season, possibly his career. More will known after a 2 week rest period. Brandon Dubinsky may move in the #1 center spot between Marian Gaborik and Alex Frolov.
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman prospect, Simon Despres, has a good chance of at least starting the year with the club. GM Ray Shero may be looking for a #6 defenseman on the waiver wire. If they add one defenseman, it could mean that one of Ben Lovejoy, Deryk Engelland and Andrew Hutchinson could go on waivers. They are $1.2 million below the cap, and Jordan Staal could be placed on LTIR to create more room.
- Michael Russo via twitter: The Minnesota Wild have put Matt Kassian and Drew Bagnall on waivers. Basically meaning that Casey Wellman and Justin Falk have made the team.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t rule out recalling any of yesterday’s demoted players (G-Mike McKenna. D- Matt Corrente, C- Jacob Josefson, RW-Mattias Tedenby) by Friday after their cap situation becomes clearer. Lou also added that no decision has been made if Bryce Salvador will be placed on LTIR or not.
- Ben Wright via twitter: Alex Burmistrov, Anthony Stewart and Freddy Meyer all have good chance of making the Atlanta Thrashers final roster.
- Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun: Peter Schaefer is still on tryout with the Vancouver Canucks, and it could be down to him and Jeff Tambellini for the final roster spot. If Schaefer gets the spot, he’ll likely get a 2-way contract worth the minimum $550,000.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Andres Lilja was released by the San Jose Sharks today.