- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Matthew Lombardi
Escrow … Injury updates: Filppula, Helm, McDonald, Steen, Tarasenko, Lombardi and Schlemko … Lindback to start
- James Mirtle via twitter: 20% for escrow will come off the players checks this pay period. The league is saying revenue projections are down. Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Revenue projections are down to $2.1 billion from $2.4 billion.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: The Red Wings could welcome some players back to the lineup in the next seven to 10 days.
“We expect [Valtteri] Filppula back this week at some point on the Western Canada trip,” GM Ken Holland told ESPN.com Monday. “We’re expecting Darren Helm to come back after that trip, either at home to Minnesota or for the California trip. So we’ll get a few bodies back the next four or five games.”
- Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch: Blues Andy McDonald (knee) and Alex Steen (shoulder) could return the lineup on their three game home stand. McDonald and Steen have missed the last seven games. Vladimir Tarasenko (concussion) skated on Saturday.
“I don’t talk too much about concussions, but it’s not about skating — there’s a lot of things,” Armstrong said. “Whether he plays on this home stand, the next two weeks, three weeks, the next month … you’re only creating false hope to your fans by putting a timetable on something that there isn’t a timetable.”
- Norm Sanders via twitter: Update on Vladimir Tarasenko’s concussion, ”He’s been doing light skating, but nothing team-oriented”
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes Matthew Lombardi will be re-evaluated this morning to see if he’s able to return. David Schlemko is getting closer.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Anders Lindback will start in net for the Lightning tonight against the Panthers.
- Jason Gregor via twitter: Oilers Shawn Horcoff broke his knuckle and is out long-term.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: Sabres Ville Leino’s hip is not improving and coach Lindy Ruff is worried that he may not play at all unless another treatment can help.
“This latest treatment option we hope will work,” Ruff said. “Surgery is always the the end of the line. You go to a surgeon, he’s going to recommend surgery. That’s just the way it goes.”
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Islanders Radek Martinek had an MRI yesterday for an abdominal injury. Likely to go on IR to make room for Bailey.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said that Carl Gunnarsson had an MRI on his hip. No muscular damage, but needs rest and treatment.
- Helene St. James via twitter: Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith is out 3 to 4 weeks with a sprained shoulder.
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes Matthew Lombardi skated yesterday morning for the first time since his injury.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Predators winger Patric Hornqvist is out indefinitely after getting tangled up with Ducks center Ryan Getzlaf on Saturday. He left the game in the 3rd, and didn’t return.
- Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic: Coyotes Matthew Lombardi will be out for a “definite month-plus — it will all depend on whether it’s a rehab or a surgery situation — and we’re not sure how that’s going to go yet” according to coach Dave Tippett. He has an upper-body injury. Goalie Mike Smith skated on Sunday but is still listed as day-to-day with a lower-body injury.
- Matias Strozyk via twitter: Petr Sykora signed with SC Bern in Switzerland.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Islanders defenseman Travis Hamonic has a sprained ankle, and is likely out tomorrow.
- Ryan Rishaug via twitter: Avs Gabriel Landeskog is not expected to play tonight. He has head and leg issues.
- Carolina Hurricanes via twitter: Hurricanes defenseman Justin Faulk is out with an upper body injury.
- Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sintinel: Panthers Kris Versteeg (groin) could be ready to get back into the lineup tomorrow against the Lightning.
- Frank Seravalli via twitter: Flyers announced that Scott Hartnell had surgery to repair his big left toe, out 4-6 weeks.
- NHL.com: Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros will be out at least a month with a shoulder injury according to GM Paul Holmgren. Meszaros hurt his shoulder in the last shift of the second period on Thursday night.
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Martin Hanzal and Rostislav Klesla both skated [yesterday]. Hanzal is questionable for [today] and Klesla is still on the IR. Both have lower-body injuries. If Hanzal is able to play, he’ll slot in for Lombardi, if not, coach Tippettt said they’ll look at possibilities tomorrow.
- Ansar Khan via twitter: Red Wings defenseman Ian White hopes that he can resume skating next week, and return to the lineup the following week.
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes Matthew Lombardi was getting evaluated today, he’s still out indefinitely.
- Dave Vest via twitter: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said that Mike Smith remains day-to-day and that Lombardi ”may be out for a significant amount of time.”
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Senators Kaspars Daugavins replaced Guillaume Latendresse.
- Adam Kimelman of NHL.com: Flyers winger Scott Hartnell will be out 4 to 8 weeks with broken first metatarsal in his left foot according to GM Paul Holmgren.
“Right now we’re trying to decide, talking to the doctor, what the best way to proceed is as far as how to approach this,” Holmgren said before the Flyers’ game against the New York Rangers. “I can’t give you a time frame. It’s probably going to be between four to eight weeks. … Obviously it’s a significant injury.”
Holmgren on Daniel Briere:
“He’s getting better,” Holmgren said. “I would say he’s maybe 50-50 on the weekend. I’ll have a better idea after the game.”
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Henrik Zetterberg skated with Damien Brunner and Johan Franzen. Pavel Datsyuk stated with Valtteri Filppula and Todd Bertuzzi. Filppula left practice early to rest his knee. Forwards Darren Helm and Todd Bertuzzi, defenseman Jakub Kindl should be available tonight. Jonathan Ericsson will be a game-time decision.
- Bob Mitchell of the Toronto Star: Maple Leafs winger Joffrey Lupul will be out for at least 6 weeks with a fractured forearm.
- Jason Gregor via twitter: Kings winger Simon Gagne had a tumor the size of a tennis ball removed from his neck in the summer. Headache free now.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Panthers Stephen Weiss has a lower body injury.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Blue Jackets Cam Atkinson is day-to-day with a lower body injury.
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Flyers Andrej Meszaros has an upper-body injury, more will be known today. Frank Seravalli via twitter: Meszaros injured the same shoulder back in 2009. Missed 6 months after having surgery for a labrum tear.
- Phoenix Coyotes via twitter: Coyotes center Matthew Lombardi left last night’s game with an upper-body injury.
- Josh Brown via twitter: Dallas Stars prospect Radek Faksa is out 4 to 6 weeks with a MCL injury.
- Chris Johnston via twitter: Tim Connolly is getting interest, but he might need to clear waivers first. Some teams would prefer a trade with the Leafs, who would need to retain some salary.David Pagnotta via twitter: Connolly’s agent said there are “no plans yet” regarding a buyout. Added, ”We will be discussing options after waiver results.”
- B.D. Gallof via twitter: Source on idea of the Islanders bringing in Connolly, ”Not going to happen. I would be shocked”
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes will get a $2 million salary cap hit for Matthew Lombardi, and will pay $1.1 of his salary. (Lombardi’s salary this year is $3.5 million)
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: McKenzie thinks there are likely 3 under-aged rookies playing all season in the NHL: Dougie Hamilton in Boston, Nail Yakupov in Edmonton and Jonathan Huberdeau in Florida. Under-agers likely to get a ‘trial’ are: Rakell (ANA), Grigorenko (ANA), Dumba (MIN), Galchenyuk (MTL), Laughton (PHI), Scheifele (WPG). Final decisions on Murphy (CAR), Matteau (NJD), and Rielly (TOR) will be made this morning.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Mirtle is hearing the Maple Leafs will be cutting Morgan Rielly and Matt Frattin today. Should know by their 11:30 am practice. If that is what is happening, it would mean they are starting the season with 8 defenseman: Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Liles, Franson, Kostka, Holzer, Fraser, Komisarek.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Clarifying that the Panthers and Kulikov have agreed on a 2 year deal, but has not officially been signed until he passes a physical.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Wade Redden has narrowed his list to 2 teams. Expected to decide today where he’ll play.
- Ryan Kennedy via twitter: The Stars send goalie Richard Bachman and defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to the AHL.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Alex Kovalev signs a 1 year deal worth $1 million plus bonuses with the Panthers.
Maple Leafs notes: Connolly to waivers, Luongo losing steam, JVR returns to practice, Gardiner skates, Aucoin claimed
- James Mirtle via twitter: Randy Carlyle: “I think the goalie decision is our toughest decision. Who gets to start.”
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes will get a $2 million salary cap hit for Matthew Lombardi, and will pay $1.1 of his salary. (Lombardi’s salary this year is $3.5 million)
- James Mirtle via twitter: The Maple Leafs put Tim Connolly on waivers, and if he goes unclaimed, Mirtle thinks that GM Dave Nonis will try to trade him while retaining salary like he did with Matthew Lombardi. David Alter via twitter: Connolly would be a candidate for a compliance buyout. Coach Randy Carlyle didn’t have high praise for him yesterday. Chris Johnston via twitter: Source says that an accelerated buyout for Tim Connolly “hasn’t been discussed.”
- Ben Kuzma via twitter: With putting Connolly on waivers to create a possible roster spot for Nazem Kadri, and expecting more for Tyler Bozak, a Roberto Luongo trade to the Maple Leafs could be losing steam.
- Mark Masters via twitter: Maple Leafs James van Riemsdyk returns to practice today. Paul Hendrick via twitter: Kadri is skating with JVR and Leo Kormorov today. David Alter via twitter: Defenseman Jake Gardiner skated prior to practice, but didn’t take part in it.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Islanders claim Keith Aucoin from the Maple Leafs.
- John Shannon via twitter: Shannon is hearing the Leafs could be retaining $1.5 million in cap space for Lombardi. Coyotes getting a $2 million cap hit for Lombardi.
- James Mirtle via twitter: The Maple Leafs have already paid a $1 million signing bonus to Lombardi.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded Matthew Lombardi to the Phoenix Coyotes for a conditional 2014 4th round draft pick. If Lombardi re-signs with the Coyotes, the pick becomes a 3rd rounder. Lombardi can play both center and wing.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The Maple Leafs will pay Lombardi’s $500,000 signing bonus, and will retain some salary in the deal.
Lombardi was in the last year of a 3 year, $10.5 million deal. He carried a salary and cap hit of $3.5 million.
Lombardi was drafted by Oilers in the 7th round, 215th overall in 2000. He went back into the draft in 2002, and was picked in the 3rd round, 90th overall.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The NHL and NHLPA will go back to negotiating on Tuesday. Players will miss their first pay check on Monday, but they will receive their escrow checks in the next 2 weeks. No new offers/proposals are expected to be brought to the table.
- Szymon Szemberg via twitter: Tyler Myers signed with KAC Klagenfurt in Austria.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: If the season is lost, the Maple Leafs will clear up $13 million in salaries as Tim Connolly, Matthew Lombardi, Clarke MacArthur and Tyler Bozak will be free agents.
- Hockey Central: NHL and NHLPA had a few phone calls yesterday.
Rumors and Notes part 3: Blues, Predators, Red Wings, Avalanche, Maple Leafs, Stars, Senators and Nash, Schultz and Jagr
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: The Blues will be looking to sign a defenseman. If the Predators lose Ryan Suter, sources are saying that Shea Weber won’t re-sign a long-term deal. GM David Poile couldn’t risk losing both for nothing, and would have to look at trading Weber. Jay Bouwmeester is rumored to be on the trade block, sources are saying no one has approached him about it yet. Sources saying the Red Wings will make a strong push for Ryan Suter, but not as hard for Zach Parise. Don’t be surprised if the Blues look to bring back Carlo Colaiacovo. There is some talk that Flyers defenseman Matt Carle may want to sign with the Avalanche, played college hockey in Colorado. The Blackhawks have serious interest in Justin Schultz. Contract talks between Erik Johnson and the Avs are going smoothly. The Senators are talking contract extension with Chris Neal, who has 1 year left on his deal. The same goes for Mike Fisher and the Predators.
- Mike Brophy of Sportsnet: Brophy lists some Maple Leafs players who may be traded, bought out or buried in the minors: Colby Armstrong, Tim Connolly, Cody Franson, Nazem Kadri, Mike Komisarek, Nikolai Kulemin, Matthew Lombardi, Colton Orr and Jay Rosehill.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Heika thinks that the Stars may be willing to overpay for Zach Parise but not Ryan Suter.
- Jeremy Rutherford via twitter: Rutherford thinks that it’s possible that the Blues look at Filip Kuba, doubtful on Bryce Salvador.
- Wayne Scanlan of the Ottawa Citizen: (from Monday) … Senators and Rick Nash:
“They haven’t told us if we’re close, or asked what we’re willing to part with as far as the parameters of the trade,” Murray said. “And we aren’t close to knowing if Rick Nash wants to come to Ottawa or not, he’s the property of Columbus. That’s all I know.”
“If you have to beg, it’s probably the wrong player that you’re talking to,” Murray said.
The Senators think they have a shot at Justin Schultz.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Oilers are to meet with Justin Schultz in Toronto in the afternoon. Some believe that Schultz will end up in his home province and with the Canucks. Jason Gregor via twitter: Gregor was told the Oilers may not meet with Schultz until Thursday or Friday as they may not get Toronto until 5:00 pm. As of 10 PM last night, the Oilers haven’t been given a time to meet with Schultz.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Jaromir Jagr’s agent is expected to talk with the Flyers today.
- Brian Huddle via twitter: According to Pierre McGuire, Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke told him prior to the draft that they were taking Morgan Rielly if he was available.
GM meeting next week … Notes on the Maple Leafs, Datsyuk practicing, Wild goalie injuries, Mason gets stitches, Souray injured
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The GM meetings are next week. They’ll talk about putting the red-line back in, video review for goalie interference, concussions and CBA talk.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Drafting in the top 10 could be good thing for the Leafs. Or they could trade the pick for a top forward and other needed pieces.
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: The Maple Leafs may be looking for a #1 goalie this offseason. The UFA list isn’t spectacular. Martin Brodeur, Dwayne Roloson and Johan Hedberg are at the end of their careers. Tomas Vokoun puts up good numbers but seems to miss the playoffs. Do the Leafs take a chance on Evgeni Nabokov, Ray Emery or Al Montoya? Trading for a goalie is an option, but how big is the price for Kings Jonathan Bernier? There has been animosity between the Canucks and Maple Leafs, so a Cory Schneider deal may be hard to see.
- Terry Koshan of the Toront Sun: Maple Leafs ‘bubble boys’ heading into next season could be Mike Komisarek, Matthew Lombardi, Joey Crabb, Nikolai Kulemin, Tim Connolly and Jay Rosehill, along with Jonas Gustavsson (UFA) and James Reimer.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Red Wings Pavel Datsyuk practiced with the team yesterday, and Nicklas Lidstrom skated before. Both are out tonight, and unlikely for Saturday.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild goalie Josh Harding “tweaked something” in his lower body last night causing him to leave in the 2nd period. The severity of the injury isn’t known yet. Niklas Backstrom is already out with a groin injury. Their 4th goalie on their depth charts suffered an injury over the weekend and could be done for the year.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason took 15-20 stitches to his blocker hand. He was cut by the skate for defenseman John Moore, and is not expected to play this weekend. He’ll be re-evaluated this morning. Derek Dorsett left in the 3rd period with an upper body injury.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray is day-to-day with a lower body injury. He left last night’s game in the 2nd period. Defenseman Mark Fistric left with a hand injury in the 3rd, x-rays were negative and he should be able to go. Steve Ott missed last night’s game with back spasms.
Crosby could return on Sunday … Injury notes involving the Flyers, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Lightning and Flames
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Penguins captain Sidney Crosby hinted that he could be returning to the lineup this Sunday against the Bruins.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Jaromir Jagr will test his hip at this mornings skate, but GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t expect him to go. Jakub Voracek will have a baseline test today, he passed a ‘less-detailed concussion exam’ on Tuesday after he was rocked by Niklas Kronwall. “I don’t want to say I feel too good, because every day is different,” said a subdued Voracek. “Hopefully, I can get back as soon as possible.” Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros and Kimmo Timonen won’t play tonight.
- Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs Joffrey Lupul will be out up to a month with a separated shoulder. Matt Frattin took Lupul’s spot the line with Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak. Mike Brown was injured on his first shift last night. Luke Schenn and Matthew Lombardi were healthy scratches last night. Brown has a lower body injury after slamming into the boards, and defenseman Cody Franson left after taking a stick to the eye.
- Damien Cox via twitter: The Leafs wanted to signed Penguins Brad Thiessen when he was a college free agent a few years ago. They ended up signing Ben Scrivens.
- Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: Andrei Markov said he’s “pretty close” to returning to the Canadiens lineup and “I can’t wait to get out and play again.”
- Erik Erendsson of the Tampa Tribune: Lightning goalie Mathieu Garon will be out 3 to 4 weeks with a partially torn groin muscle.
- Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald: The Flames have recalled Portland Winterhawks (WHL) Sven Baertschi. The Flames are without Tim Jackman, Lee Stempniak, Blair Jones, Mikael Backlund, Michael Cammalleri, Blake Comeau and Lance Bouma.