- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Morgan Rielly
Garrioch’s rumor roundup … Liles on borrowed time? Whitney scratched … Clowe suspended pending hearing
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Jarome Iginla and Flames haven’t had any serious contract talks. Many believe that Iginla will be traded, but GM Jay Feaster shouldn’t expect to hit a home run with the pending UFA.
“I’m just not sure what kind of impact he would make and you’re going to have to give up a lot if you are going to get him,” said one league executive. “You’re talking about prospects and draft picks. Is it worth it?”
Teams that aren’t happy right now with their play: the Avalanche, Panthers, Flyers and Jets.
There will be a lot of interest in defenseman Ran Hainsey. He plays 24 minutes a game and leads the league in blocked shots. The Jets would likely look for a 2nd round pick in return.
The Canadiens would like to find a taker for Erik Cole and his $4.5 million cap hit through next year. Garrioch suggests the Hurricanes.
If Corey Perry decides to leave the Ducks and come east as a UFA, there will be plenty of interest: Maple Leafs, Sabres, Bruins, Senators and Red Wings.
Capitals GM George McPhee is working the phones and could look to free up money by trading Troy Brouwer ($2.35 million through 2015-16), Joel Ward ($3 million through 2014-15) and Jason Chimera ($1.75 through 2013-14).
The Avalanche could be moving Ryan O’Reilly soon. The Rangers, Flyers, Maple Leafs and Hurricanes have been involved in talks. Garrioch wouldn’t be surprised if O’Reilly ended up in Carolina.
The Flyers have been looking for a defenseman, but there aren’t many available. The Flyers couldn’t find a fit with the Sharks, who have depth on the blueline. Sharks GM Doug Wilson isn’t shopping players, but he is listening to offers.
- Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: Koshan isn’t suggesting that Maple Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles has played his last game in a Maple Leafs uniform, but he has been a healthy scratch for the last [four] games and could be on borrowed time. Jake Gardiner won’t be with the Marlies for much longer, and Morgan Rielly will be given a chance to make the team next year.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: In addition to the Winter Classic, there will likely be 2 more outdoor games and a heritage classic. Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Source saying Heritage Classic to Vancouver or Edmonton.
- Jim Matheson via twitter: Oilers Ryan Whitney was a healthy scratch for the 5th time in the last 9 games. Something has to come to head soon.
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: Sharks Ryan Clowe could be facing a suspension up to 10 games for leaving the bench with less than a minutes to go in a game against the Blackhawks to avenge a hit teammate Joe Pavelski. He was suspended pending a hearing on Monday.
Bernier still waiting on a trade … Senators will have options … Could Doan be moved? Leafs could target Getzlaf
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Last spring Kings goalie, Jonathan Bernier, asked to be traded. GM Dean Lombardi talked to a couple teams, but didn’t get a deal he liked. That, along with Jonathan Quick’s back injury, the trade went on the back burner. Sources say a Bernier trade likely won’t happen until after Roberto Luongo is traded. Rumors are the Kings could be looking for a top four defenseman. Bernier is really the only major asset the Kings are willing to move. The Maple Leafs could be one option for Bernier, and there is one specific player on the Leafs roster that Lombardi has indicated privately that he likes. He isn’t saying but it’s not looking like the Leafs are willing to move him at the moment. The Lightning, Blue Jackets and Devils have looked at Bernier at some point. Bernier will be a RFA at the end of this year.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: The Senators will have trade options, but will take a week or so for things to shake out.
- Matthew Sekeres via twitter: Canucks GM Mike Gillis said he thinks that Shane Doan said no to the Canucks in the summer as Doan believed that the Coyotes would be staying in Phoenix. Doan could be traded if the Coyotes aren’t in the hunt at the NHL trade deadline. Maybe the Canucks will take another look at him.
- Howard Berger of BergerBytes: Berger wonders if the Maple Leafs could trade for Ryan Getzlaf if he becomes available. A Western Conference executive,
“He could be available. But, there will be a fair amount of interest in him and he won’t come cheap.”
The Leafs have been looking for No. 1 center since Mats Sundin left in 2007-08. Without having a No. 1 center, it would appear reasonable for GM David Nonis to consider trading Phil Kessel before the trade deadline. If the Maple Leafs were able to get someone like Getzlaf, keeping Kessel would make sense. Ducks GM Bob Murray has said that he wants to re-sign Getzlaf and Corey Perry, but that will be difficult.
“I don’t believe Anaheim will keep both players,” said my source. “I think Bob Murray may be looking for a different mix up front. But, it depends how this season goes. If the Ducks have a great year, all of that could change.”
If the Leafs were looking to trading for him, they would want to have assurance that he’d be interested in a long-term commitment. If the Ducks say that Getzlaf won’t re-sign with them, 3 options for Getzlaf are 1) agree to sign with team that trades for him, 2) become a free agent in July and c) target the Kings in the offseason so he can remain in California (he’s built a home and his family is settled in Anaheim). Nazem Kadri would be starting point in a deal, possibly with Nikolai Kulemin and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The Leafs won’t trade their 2013 1st round pick or Morgan Rielly.
- Chris Johnston via twitter: Tim Connolly is getting interest, but he might need to clear waivers first. Some teams would prefer a trade with the Leafs, who would need to retain some salary.David Pagnotta via twitter: Connolly’s agent said there are “no plans yet” regarding a buyout. Added, ”We will be discussing options after waiver results.”
- B.D. Gallof via twitter: Source on idea of the Islanders bringing in Connolly, ”Not going to happen. I would be shocked”
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes will get a $2 million salary cap hit for Matthew Lombardi, and will pay $1.1 of his salary. (Lombardi’s salary this year is $3.5 million)
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: McKenzie thinks there are likely 3 under-aged rookies playing all season in the NHL: Dougie Hamilton in Boston, Nail Yakupov in Edmonton and Jonathan Huberdeau in Florida. Under-agers likely to get a ‘trial’ are: Rakell (ANA), Grigorenko (ANA), Dumba (MIN), Galchenyuk (MTL), Laughton (PHI), Scheifele (WPG). Final decisions on Murphy (CAR), Matteau (NJD), and Rielly (TOR) will be made this morning.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Mirtle is hearing the Maple Leafs will be cutting Morgan Rielly and Matt Frattin today. Should know by their 11:30 am practice. If that is what is happening, it would mean they are starting the season with 8 defenseman: Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Liles, Franson, Kostka, Holzer, Fraser, Komisarek.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Clarifying that the Panthers and Kulikov have agreed on a 2 year deal, but has not officially been signed until he passes a physical.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Wade Redden has narrowed his list to 2 teams. Expected to decide today where he’ll play.
- Ryan Kennedy via twitter: The Stars send goalie Richard Bachman and defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to the AHL.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Alex Kovalev signs a 1 year deal worth $1 million plus bonuses with the Panthers.
Training Camp notes: Svatos, Rielly, van Riemsdyk, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Zibanejad, Barker and Zetterberg
- Rich Evans via twitter: Marek Svatos will attend the Panthers training camp. He didn’t play last year as he sat out to heal from injuries.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle on defenseman Morgan Rielly: ”We’re not afraid to play an 18-year-old in the NHL.”
- David Alter via twitter: Carlyle added that James van Riemsdyk will start on the wing, but if the opportunity arise to try him at center, they will explore it.
- Alessandro Seren Rosso via twitter: Vladimir Tarasenko’s agent confirmed that he’ll be flying to St. Louis this week.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Nail Yakupov will attend the Oilers training camp.
- Wayne Scanlan via twitter: Senators GM Murray said that Mika Zibanejad is healthy enough to come to training camp, but likely won’t be invited. Stone, Silfverberg and Hoffman will be there instead.
- Dan Murphy via twitter: Defenseman Cam Barker may get a try out at the Canucks for the 7th or 8th spot.
- SportsCentre via twitter: Henrik Zetterberg is expected to be named the next captain of the Detroit Red Wings.
- Ken Warren via twitter: The Senators season ticket base is at 10,500, with hopes of getting to 11,300 by the end of the year.
Rumors and Notes part 3: Blues, Predators, Red Wings, Avalanche, Maple Leafs, Stars, Senators and Nash, Schultz and Jagr
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: The Blues will be looking to sign a defenseman. If the Predators lose Ryan Suter, sources are saying that Shea Weber won’t re-sign a long-term deal. GM David Poile couldn’t risk losing both for nothing, and would have to look at trading Weber. Jay Bouwmeester is rumored to be on the trade block, sources are saying no one has approached him about it yet. Sources saying the Red Wings will make a strong push for Ryan Suter, but not as hard for Zach Parise. Don’t be surprised if the Blues look to bring back Carlo Colaiacovo. There is some talk that Flyers defenseman Matt Carle may want to sign with the Avalanche, played college hockey in Colorado. The Blackhawks have serious interest in Justin Schultz. Contract talks between Erik Johnson and the Avs are going smoothly. The Senators are talking contract extension with Chris Neal, who has 1 year left on his deal. The same goes for Mike Fisher and the Predators.
- Mike Brophy of Sportsnet: Brophy lists some Maple Leafs players who may be traded, bought out or buried in the minors: Colby Armstrong, Tim Connolly, Cody Franson, Nazem Kadri, Mike Komisarek, Nikolai Kulemin, Matthew Lombardi, Colton Orr and Jay Rosehill.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Heika thinks that the Stars may be willing to overpay for Zach Parise but not Ryan Suter.
- Jeremy Rutherford via twitter: Rutherford thinks that it’s possible that the Blues look at Filip Kuba, doubtful on Bryce Salvador.
- Wayne Scanlan of the Ottawa Citizen: (from Monday) … Senators and Rick Nash:
“They haven’t told us if we’re close, or asked what we’re willing to part with as far as the parameters of the trade,” Murray said. “And we aren’t close to knowing if Rick Nash wants to come to Ottawa or not, he’s the property of Columbus. That’s all I know.”
“If you have to beg, it’s probably the wrong player that you’re talking to,” Murray said.
The Senators think they have a shot at Justin Schultz.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Oilers are to meet with Justin Schultz in Toronto in the afternoon. Some believe that Schultz will end up in his home province and with the Canucks. Jason Gregor via twitter: Gregor was told the Oilers may not meet with Schultz until Thursday or Friday as they may not get Toronto until 5:00 pm. As of 10 PM last night, the Oilers haven’t been given a time to meet with Schultz.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Jaromir Jagr’s agent is expected to talk with the Flyers today.
- Brian Huddle via twitter: According to Pierre McGuire, Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke told him prior to the draft that they were taking Morgan Rielly if he was available.