- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Ryan Miller
- The Fouth Period: The Blues will have to wait until the season is over to negotiate with pending UFA Alexander Steen.
“Alex prefers not to discuss a contract extension during the season and the team has respected that,” Steen’s agent, Jeff Kowall, told TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta.
If Steen keeps up this pace, the could be looking for a deal of at least $5 million per season. David Backes is the highest paid Blues forward with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- B.D. Gallof: “As for Miller rumor which is 2 league execs (not GMs, mind you) say Garth working phones on goalies, Garrioch puts forth Miller scenario. It ignores a few items #isles people should know – Garth always talks to other GMs and inquires on costs. Don’t see it as anything
- Darren Dreger: It is sounding like a trade could go down when Hurricanes Tim Gleason returns to the lineup. He would have to OK the move.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson wonders if Ryan Miller would be interested playing with the Islanders or Predators.
- Renaud Lavoie: Hearing that Rangers Michael Del Zotto won’t be traded soon and that it could take longer than expected.
- Bob McKenzie: Wild defenseman Matt Dumba could be the most probable NHL player to be loaned to the Canadian Junior team. Even if there are no NHLers named to Canada’s camp today, they could be added later.
- Damien Cox: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk chose to be a Daniel Alfredsson’s return to Ottawa.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Islanders GM Garth Snow is working the phones. The ideal scenario for the Islanders would be for Sabres Ryan Miller to waive his no-trade clause to join the Islanders for the remainder of the season.
Teams have only shown mild interest in Capitals Martin Erat. GM George McPhee may need to a find a team that needs to stay near the salary floor: Islanders, Panthers and Sabres.
P.K. Subban and Canadiens contract extension talks are expected to heat up. Starting point may be Drew Doughty’s eight-year deal worth $56 million.
Predators GM David Poile has shown interest in Jonas Hiller and Tim Thomas.
Avs Joe Sakic is looking around the league for a defenseman. Left winger Jamie McGinn has fallen into Patrick Roy’s doghouse and is being shopped for blueline help. He has a cap hit of $1.75 million and will be a RFA at the end of the season.
Senators GM Bryan Murray is looking for a defenseman and may have also looked at Kings Matt Frattin. Murray is looking for someone to play with Jason Spezza.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: On Maple Leafs Jake Gardiner:
The talented but erratic Gardiner would represent a challenge for any coach. But for a coach who demands specifics as much as Carlyle does, this almost seems like a relationship doomed to fail.
This is where Nonis fits in. He has the patience of Job. He’s not willing to make a determination of Gardiner, either way, this early.
He believes too many teams have made mistakes determining the fate of young defencemen, way too soon. It’s his inclination to allow Gardiner to develop at whatever speed is necessary. Carlyle, who hasn’t said as much, can’t possibly agree.
Rangers owner James Dolan said that Glen Sather is the teams GM as long as he wants.
- Chuck Gormley of the Washington Times: (mailbag) Gormley thinks that Capitals should be looking for a “hard-edge defenseman” in a Martin Erat trade. The Canucks may be interested in Erat and have Dan Hamhuis (he may not be available). Would an offer of Erat, Dmitry Orlov and Michal Neuvirth for Hamhuis work? Other Dmen options could be: Dmitry Kulikov (FLA), Michael Del Zotto (NYR), Andrej Meszaros (PHI), Luke Schenn (PHI), Nikita Nikitin (CBJ), Alex Martinez (LA), Francois Bouillon (MON) and Paul Ranger (TOR).
- David Pagnotta: Was told that there was group that was trying to buy the Coyotes and bring them to the Toronto. Not sure if tied to the Markham group. Obviously, the NHL rejected the offer. The rejected offered was believed to be in the $500 million range for relocation and territorial rights to the Maple Leafs.
- CBC Sports: Friedman said that the Maple Leafs may revisit talks with the Panthers about Dmitry Kulikov.
Morning Rumors: Orlov, Miller, Del Zotto, Oilers and Bishop, Avs, Brodeur, Habs, Kane, Gardiner and Devils
- Elliotte Friendman of CBC: Capitals GM George McPhee on Dmitry Orlov: ”He’s very similar to [Slava] Voynov from L.A. … three full years in the minors and now a really good NHL player,” McPhee said. “He is ready for the NHL and it is time to find a full-time spot for him.” … ”With us or somebody else — ideally, with us — he wants to get playing.” McPhee has been working the phones. He also has Martin Erat’s trade request.Friedman thinks Ryan Miller in a Ducks uniform might make sense.The Rangers want a fair price for Michael Del Zotto but his value is a little low right now. Doesn’t seem like there is a fit with Senators and the Oilers. Oilers would like some size on their blueline.
From what Friedman understands, the Oilers offered a 2nd, 3rd and Ryan Jones to the Senators for Ben Bishop before he was dealt to the Lightning. The 2nd round pick was the Ducks (ended up being 56th) and the Senators wanted the Oilers pick (ended up being 37th).
There is some interest in Flames Mikael Backlund.
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Capitals defenseman Dmitry Orlov has been recalled five times this month without playing in a game. The Capitals are doing so to retain his rights. If he isn’t on the Capitals for at least 30 days by January 1st, he has clause that would allow him to return to the KHL. He has spent 19 days on the so far this season. He’s in the last year of his entry level deal.
“It’s becoming increasingly hard for Dmitry to continue with this shuttle without any hope of playing a game,” Orlov’s agent, Mark Gandler, said. “The coach can’t see him in the lineup. He’s been around. Everybody knows what he can bring, there’s no question marks here. I think that the team can get something for him at this point and move forward. I think that would be the best solution for everybody.”
- Chuck Gormley: First Martin Erat and now Dmitry Orlov.
“Obviously, what Dmitry would like is to be traded,” agent Mark Gandler told CSNWashington.com Wednesday, “because he has no future in Washington whatsoever, zero chance for him.
“I think his value as a player is diminishing with every day and the team is losing valuable time and also ruining his career.”
Orlov has been recalled 5 times in the last month without playing a game. He’s been with tean for 19 days and hasn’t played.
“He has to train hard, and then he has to get in the car and drive hours back to Hershey and work hard there and keep his head in the game and play hard and play well. That is very, very difficult to do for no reason whatsoever.
“If he’s not an NHL player there’s no reason to marinate him in the minors,” Gandler continued. “Let him go. The easier solution, and it’s a great solution for everybody, is for him to be traded. I’ve been in this business 25 years. I don’t think there is a problem finding a team that would like him.”
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: Rangers Michael Del Zotto was scratched for the fourth time in the last seven games. It’s become clear that Del Zotto doesn’t fit into Alain Vigneault’s plans and he’s been part of trade talks for weeks. The Rangers haven’t received an offer they like enough to move the 23-year old. They don’t have the organizational depth to take a discounted return.
- Andrew Gross: Seems clear that Michael Del Zotto’s future isn’t with the Rangers. Trading him now would be selling when his value is low. Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: ”Rangers are going to trade Del Zotto they just haven’t found the fit yet”
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: (mailbag) If the Avs are in a good spot at the trade deadline, Dater thinks they will become a buyer. If they are not, guys like Paul Stastny could be on the trading block. If they are serious about being a contender, they need to improve their defense. If they want to take a run this year and a defenseman is available that could really help, they could think about trading one of Chris Bigras, Duncan Siemens or Stefan Elliott and/or trading a draft pick.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie on TSN Radio: ”I can’t see Brodeur moving because Lamoriello doesn’t want to be the guy to move Marty from New Jersey”
- Hope Smoke: McKenzie: “Montreal wants to make a move and outside of their young core guys they’re willing to move anybody including Pacioretty”
- Hope Smoke: McKenzie: ”The Jets aren’t shopping Evander Kane but his name is out there too. There’s tension with the player and the team” … ”Kane is a scary player to move considering his tools, but the player and that team and that city just don’t seem like a fit”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN Radio: ”Teams around the NHL are telling me that Gardiner’s name is being discussed a little more” … ”There is less resistance on the Leafs part when it comes to including Gardiner in a deal”
- Dan Rosen of NHL.com: (mailbag) Rosen thinks the Devils should look for a defenseman with an expiring contract: examples Nikita Nikitin (CBJ), Tom Gilbert (FLA) or Nick Schultz (EDM). They are not linked to those players, but just the type of players they could look at.
Morning Rumors: Sabres, Rangers, Coaches, Sharks, Panthers, Habs, Flames, Oilers, Isles, Pens and Roy
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: If Ryan Miller isn’t willing to sign a contract extension with the Sabres, and it’s thought that that conversation will take place, the new GM will hold an auction for his services. Pat LaFontaine wants to have new GM by Christmas. Belief is that Miller wants to go to a Western Conference team, and the Kings may have interest. Jonathan Quick is out for at least a month, and Ben Scrivens isn’t the long-term solution. GM Dean Lombardi will deny it, but he’s been looking around. The Blues could also be a destination.
The Rangers are trying to free up some salary cap space. The Senators, Hurricanes, Oilers and Sharks have interest in Michael Del Zotto, but the Rangers want a defenseman in return.
It’s thought that Henrik Lundqvist wants an eight-year deal worth $8-$9 million a year. The Rangers also have UFAs Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi and Anton Stralman, and RFA Derrick Brassard, who could get $4 million if he goes to arbitration.
Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards could be on the hotseat, same goes for Jets Claude Noel. Islanders Jack Capuano could be in trouble as well.
The Sharks have been shopping Martin Havlat and his $6 million salary. There has been mild interest from the Panthers and Rangers.
The Blackhawks had looked at Rene Bourque before making the Kris Versteeg trade.
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin wants to do something big.
The Panthers would like to move Scottie Upshall, Tomas Fleischmann, Brad Boyes, Tomas Kopecky, Marcel Goc and Shawn Mattias before the trade deadline. There is lots of interest in Dmitry Kulikov, but he may bolt for the KHL.
Flames Mikael Backlund and Shane O’Brien are available.
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish is looking for defenseman to replace Ladislav Smid. “They want to do something but they overrate their players which means the prices are high,” said a league executive.
The Oilers should be able to get a top pick for Ales Hemsky.
- Arthur Staple: Islanders Thomas Hickey will be evaluated today, and if it’s deemed he’ll be out long-term, they may have to look at making a trade.
- Seth Rorabaugh: Rorabaugh thinks the Penguins could use a tougher third-line player, but remembers that they were swept by the Bruins when they had Iginla, Morrow and Murray.
- Andrew Gross: Team USA GM David Poile will continue to scout Rangers Chris Kreider, though he’s still a longshot at this point.
- Steve Farnham of All Habs: Elliotte Friedman interviewing Mike Vernon, with Vernon talking about his conversation with Patrick Roy to ‘get traded.’
“I recall even having a conversation with Patrick Roy, in Montreal, at a little breakfast space there, spot we always used to go to. I just walked in by myself; I was early to the rink or something like that and he was there.
He [Roy] said, ‘Mike, come here, I want to talk to you.’
He goes, ‘the pressure, and the media, and the fans,’ he was really; I knew he was thoroughly upset by all of this, and it was really bothering him.
And I said, ‘Patrick, you just have to get traded’. And I said, ‘I got traded, I’m enjoying it in Detroit and everything else.’
Low and behold, that game was the game where he went up to the president. He was in for all nine goals, and he walked up to the president and I’m like going, ‘Oh no’!”
“So the game is over and I’m bee-lining for the dressing room. All the boys are like, ‘What’s wrong? What’s wrong?’ I’ll talk to you later, I gotta go!
No one could figure out why I was running in the dressing room, undressing, shower and I was gone out the door.
After, they came to the establishment where I was having a beer or dinner or something like that. They were like, ‘Verny, what’s going on?’
I said that I didn’t want to feel the wrath of the media.
They were like, ‘What are you talking about?’
I have an idea what Patrick was doing over there. And I didn’t know if he would say anything or do anything.
You know, ‘I talked to Vernon about this earlier in the day’. I’m like, “Holy shit, I better get out of here, I’d get hung!”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Two sources had said that Senators GM Bryan Murray is working the phones trying to find a top four defenseman that would be able to step in right away.
“I get the sense Murray would like to do something,” said a league executive before the visit by the Wild. “It might even just be a change for the sake of change.”
The Senators also need to find a fit in their top 6 as Milan Michalek has struggled, but they hope he will turn it around. The defenseman market is thin and lots of teams are looking to improve in that area. The Rangers are willing to trade Michael Del Zotto, the Penguins could move Matt Niskanen and Stars could move Vernon Fiddler. The Senators have $8.409 million in cap space, but Murray would have move out some salary in a deal.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Matching team needs with trade options. Predators: Might need a goalie – Jose Theodore, Jonas Hiller and Michal Neuvirth. They will likely wait to see what Rinne’s results are from his MRI next week. Capitals: Could use a top 4 defenseman. Senators – A puck moving defenseman. Del Zotto could be an option. Blues – Goalie upgrade with Ryan Miller being mentioned. Red Wings – clear roster space for Gustav Nyquist and clearing some cap space. (written before DeKeyser was put on LTIR, Gustav to be called up)
“I’d like to get Nyquist up,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said when we chatted Tuesday. “I was hoping to make a trade. Obviously, I put our guys on waivers. Other than big trades, nobody really wants to add money right now.”
- TSN Radio: Bob McKenzie: The Flyers would want to a really good defenseman if they trade Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier.
- Hope Smoke: McKenzie: ”Philly’s not shopping Schenn (or Couturier) but they know that to get what they want they need to move one of those guys. Holmgren is liable to trade anybody so Brayden Schenn isn’t an untouchable. They want a really good defenseman in return”
- TSN Radio: Darren Dreger: Rangers GM Glen Sather is making calls and taking them on Michael Del Zotto.
- Patrick Kearns of the Fourth Period: Kearns thinks the Rangers should hold onto Del Zotto as his value is at an all-time low. If they were to move Del Zotto, they may be comfortable with Dylan McIlrath being able to step in a bottom pairing role.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The odds are slim that Ted Nolan will be behind the bench for the Sabres next season.
Shinzawa thinks the Maple Leafs will re-sign captain Dion Phaneuf. He’s 28-years old and is averaging 24.:23 minutes per game. Those types of defenseman are hard to find and are even harder to acquire.
Jonas Hiller will be a UFA at the end of the season and the Ducks may look to acquire some assets for him. The Islanders and Predators are potential landing spots for him. The Ducks are deep in net with Viktor Fasth, Frederik Andersen and John Gibson in the pipeline.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks it’s doubtful that the Blue Jackets will look to re-sign Marian Gaborik for another four or five years at $6 million. They gave up Derrick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and John Moore to get him.
Marc-Eduoard Vlasic may have played himself ahead of Marc Staal and Dan Hamhuis on the Canadian Olympic team depth chart.
The Wild may be looking for a backup goalie with experience. Best bet is they bring back Jose Theodore.
The Sharks will likely buyout Martin Havlat after this season. They may have done it this summer, but he was injured and you can’t buyout injured players.
Still rumors out there that the Blues will make a play for Sabres Ryan Miller at the trade deadline.
- Hockey Night in Canada’s Hotstove: Panel talks about Stamkos’s injury (could be a three month injury). Potential GM candidates for the Sabres are Jim Benning, Rick Dudley, Paul Fenton and Jason Botterill. The Sabres may not wait to trade Ryan Miller if someone calls about him before a new GM is hired. Shawn Matthias may be the next Panther to be traded, and Friedman thinks the Canucks could be interested. The Blue Jackets have been scouting the Oilers, Friedman not sure if the talks went anywhere. The Oilers may like Nikita Nikitin. Healy doesn’t think Michael Del Zotto will be traded. Nail Yakupov is being talked about in trades
- Don Cherry’s Coach’s Corner: Cherry talks about Ted Nolan, John Scott, Ray Emery and adds that Nazem Kadri needs to smarten up.
- Jim Mathson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson said “absolutely” that the Oilers first round pick is in play for immediate help, and thinks all of their picks should be.
- Darren Dreger: The Canucks have/had interest in Marty Reasoner. Reasoner is reconsidering his playing future.
- Aaron Portzline: Portzline doesn’t see the Blue Jackets even attempting to re-sign Marian Gaborik at the moment. They could look to trade him at the trade deadline or sooner.
- The Fourth Period: Teams have inquired about Jets Evander Kane. Kane is in the second year of his six-year, $31.5 million deal and will make $6 million salary per season in each of the next four seasons. It would take a significant offer for them to move him, but they are believed to be willing to listen to offers.
- Darren Dreger: Nazem Kadri received a match penalty last night (since rescinded) because there is no major penalty for an illegal check to the head. Officials may have felt it was worth more than a two minute minor. The NHL will likely look into adding a major penalty for checks to the head in the future.
- Mike Harrington: Early GM candidates for the Sabres could be Rick Dudley, Jason Botterill and Larry Carriere.
- Bucky Gleason: Four possible candidates for the Sabres GM position: Jim Benning, Rick Dudley, Jason Botterill and Claude Loiselle.
- Mike Harrington: The Penguins have granted the Sabres permission to talk with Botterill.
- Luke Fox of SportsNet: Hockey Central insiders are saying asking price for Ryan Miller is two first round draft picks and second round pick. (This obviously could be different now with Regier gone)
Lines and Goalies: Sens, Canes, Devils, Stars, Leafs, Isles, Caps, Blue Jackets, Kings, Sabres and Panthers
- Bruce Garrioch: Senators lines: Michalek-Spezza-Conacher; MacArthur-Turris-Ryan; Greening-Smith-Neil and Kassian-Grant-Zibanejad.
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes lines: Tlusty-EStaal-Semin; Gerbe_JStaal-Dwyer; Ruutu-Nash-Terry; Bowman-Malhotra-Dvorak.
- Tom Gulitti: Devils lines: Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr; Brunner-Henrique-Ryder; Tedenby-Loktionov-Bernier; Carter-Josefson-Janssen. Defensive pairings and goalies: Greene-Harrold; Volchenkov-Zidlicky; Gelinas-:Larsson; Fayne; Goalies; Brodeur, Schneider.
- Mark Stepneski: Stars lines: Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin; Roussel-Eakin-Chiasson; Whitney-Fiddler-Peverley;Garbutt-Horcoff-Cole/MacDermid.
- Mark Masters: Maple Leafs lines: Lupul-JVR-Kessel; Raymond-Kadri-Clarkson; Ashton-McClement-Kulemin; McLaren-Smithson-Orr-Bodie.
- Mark Spector: Ilya Bryzgalov won’t start for Oklahoma City (AHL) today. Will likely start on Friday.
- Arthur Staple: Kevin Poulin will start in net for the Islanders.
- Katie Carrera: Braden Holtby will start in net for the Capitals.
- Mike Harrington: Ryan Miller will start for the Sabres against Jonathan Quick and the Kings.
- Michael Smith: Justin Peters will start in net for the Hurricanes tonight.
- Steve Goldstein: Tim Thomas will start in net for the Panthers tonight.
- Ryan Rishaug: Don’t hold your breath on another Oilers trade coming soon. Sense is they are done for the time being, nothing imminent.
- Dan Tencer: Oilers GM Craig MacTavish on the rumor mill: “Certainly no moves imminent and hopefully none for quite some time.”
- Derek Van Diest: MacTavish said that rumors of them trading Jordan Eberle are ridiculous.
- Brian Lawton: (8:31 PM last night) Ales Hemsky on the move to the Flyers for a forward and a defenseman, with their names starting with “S” … (8:50 PM – his next tweet) “For those wondering tonight we are putting out every rumour we hear because you can feel the desperation from some clubs with realization”
- Bob Stauffer: “Some wild stuff out there…Eberle and Hemsky stuff. Total BS.”
- Mark Spector: The Oilers are crazy about Flyers Wayne Simmonds. Spector thinks they would move Eberle or Yakupov for him.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: (mailbag) Custance doesn’t think it makes sense for the Oilers to trade Yakupov when his value is so low.
- Adrian Dater via Sulia: The Penguins and Blue Jackets were scouting the Avalanche-Flames game last night. The Blue Jackets are rumored to be looking to make a move.
- Dejan Kovacevic: “Watching debacle in Anaheim. Ryan Miller needs to get out of Buffalo. Doesn’t matter where. Doesn’t deserve this. Sabres don’t deserve him.”
- Craig Custance: (mailbag) When asked about what the Ducks would do with their surplus of goalies … They would send one of their goalies for a defenseman in a perfect world. Teams that may need a goalie are not deep on the blueline. Teams that may be looking for a goalie would prefer to send prospects and picks. Custance thinks the Ducks should be patient. Teams like the Blues or Penguins may want to shore up between the pipes later on in the season. An injury may hit another team.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Most likely that the Leafs will look to get something done with a team in the West. There is that relationship in Anaheim”
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: The Maple Leafs could look at the free agent market if they don’t go in-house on a centerman. They could look at Vinny Prospal, but they are tight against the cap. Putting Dave Bolland on the LTIR will give them some flexibility.
- Brian Stubits of Eye on Hockey CBS Sports: Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 960 Calgary with a little more detail into Steve Downie getting traded out of Colorado:
“Basically what it goes back to was during training camp Downie got mad at [Captain Gabriel] Landeskog for a trip during a scrimmage and he drilled him. I was just told from that day, considering Downie was a bit unrepentanant about it, I just heard the Avalanche decided they were going to make the change at that time. You can’t have guys doing that. The timing is still very odd, it’s an interesting time for the deal, but I was told basically the Avalanche had decided that when that happened and Downie was basically unapologetic about it, the time was going to come where he was going to get dealt.”
- Matthew Coller: A look at some teams who may need goaltender at some point and goalies who may fit those needs.
Blues: Their problem is the inconsistency of Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott. Ryan Miller could be a solution.
Oilers: Devan Dubnyk’s poor start. James Reimer could be a solution.
Blackhawks: Poor backup play of Nikolai Khabibulin. Scott Clemmensen could be a solution.
Penguins: Injury to Tomas Vokoun. Signing free agent Jose Theodore could be a solution.
Islanders: Need someone better than Evgeni Nabokov if you want to complete for the cup. Trading for Jonas Hiller could be a solution.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Since the Devils have to forfeit their 1st round pick, the NHL isn’t a 100 percent sure how they will be handling the draft lottery. They may keep the Devils as part of the lottery to determine the order.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Trade talk between teams has increased lately. Some GMs are thinking that even a small move may spark a struggling him.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is willing to talk about anyone on roster, and he’s not the only one.The Rangers might be desperate enough to trade Michael Del Zotto.
Among the Sabres who could be moved: Steve Ott, Christian Ehrhoff, Drew Stafford, Patrick Kaleta and Ryan Miller. Owner Terry Pegula has bought into plan to acquire draft picks and prospects.
Daniel and Henrik Sedin initially asked for a five-year, $37.5 million extension. The Canucks didn’t want to go that long.
Jets coach Claude Noel won’t be fired anytime soon. GM Kevin Chevaldayoff is looking to acquire more depth upfront.
Avalanche GM Joe Sakic didn’t shop Steve Downie around the league. On league executive: ”That was clearly a deal they wanted to do themselves. It was a fit for both teams.”
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish would like to acquire a top end defenseman. No sense that MacTavish will mortgage their future to get one.
On Sabres Matt Moulson: ”They’ll be able to deal him to a contender at the deadline for a first-round pick,” said a league executive. “They might even get more than that. That’ll end up being a great trade for Buffalo in the end.”
Talk that there could be changes in the future regarding Barry Trotz. Assistant Phil Housley could be the top candidate.
The Canadiens may be willing to move center David Desharnais, but the problem is he has four years remaining with a cap of $3.5 million and zero goals this year.
- Seth Rorabaugh: Asked Gary Bettman about potentially over-saturating the outdoor games by having six in one season: ”Six games out of 1,230 regular season games isn’t exactly oversaturation.” Bettman did add that they are trying to find a balance.
- Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove: Flyers/Sabres, possible rule change discussions, GM meetings agenda