- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Ryan Smyth
- Eric Engels: Canadiens Brandon Prust is out a month with a shoulder injury.
- Patrick Kearns: “If nothing new is the official statement regarding Nash’s concussion, well, it means nothing really but he’s probably not back anytime soon.”
- Katie Carrera: Capitals coach Adam Oates said that John Erskine is “very close” to returning. They will see how he is tomorrow.
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes Anton Khudobin is another week or two away from returning. Tim Gleason and Elias Lindholm could return on Thursday.
- Jonas Siegel: Randy Carlyle said that initial timetable for injured Mark Fraser and Nikolai Kulemin was October 29th, but couldn’t say if they’ll be ready for then.
- Brian Wilde: Canadiens Josh Gorges said that he experience no concussions effects from Bourque hit.
- Mark Stepneski: Stars GM Jim Nill expects Kari Lehtonen to be ready for Thursday. Mark Stepneski: The Stars activate Lehtonen from the IR. Defenseman Aaron Rome has been recalled from his conditioning assignment. Goalie Jack Campbell has been reassigned to the AHL.
- Tom Gulitti: Devils Damien Brunner said that he feels good and ready to play. Coach Peter DeBoer said he’ll wait to see how he feels tomorrow.
- Kevin Kurz: The Sharks put Dan Boyle on the IR.
- Gene Principe: Oilers Ryan Smyth is flying back to Edmonton to be looked by their medical staff.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Red Wings Niklas Kronwall skated yesterday and could return as yearly as Wednesday.
- Jason Gregor: Oilers Sam Gagner was cleared for contact last week.
- James Mirtle: The Maple Leafs have recalled Trevor Smith and Jamie Devane.
- Rob Mixer: Blue Jackets Jared Boll took a puck off the head and left practice. Looks like he was hit just above the eye.
- John Vogl: Sabres Cody Hodgson missed practice.
- Brent Wallace: Senators Jason Spezza didn’t skate this morning.
- Edmonton Journal: Oilers Ryan Smyth will be a healthy scratch tonight.
- Igor Eronko: Goalie Mathieu Garon signed a one-year deal with Avangard of the KHL.
Morning Hits: Oilers Yakupov, Eberle and Smyth … Busy offseason for Preds … Flyers sign two … video: Lowe apologizes
- Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal: Elliotte Friedman suggested in his 30 Thoughts column that the Oilers might be willing to trade Nail Yakupov. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal suggested that one of Yakupov and Jordan Eberle could be traded. If the Oilers are going to trade one of Yakupov or Eberle, Willis thinks that they should move Eberle, as Yakupov has a higher upside.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson wonders if it’s time for Oilers Ryan Smyth to hang them up. He does have one year left at $2.25 million. They could buy him out or tell him he’ll only play 40-50 games next season, possibly in a reduced role.
“I’m under their contract. I can’t sit here and speculate what they’re going to do. I can still help the team,” Smyth said.
Smyth hasn’t scored in 26 games.
“He’s been a warrior, a great warrior,” said the scout, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “But when he picks them (this feet) up and puts them down now, they come down in the same spot.
“I don’t know if he’s got the legs anymore.”
Smyth isn’t sure if it’s time to hang them up yet.
“I don’t think of that (quitting). I know I have some life left in me. I can help in different areas,” Smyth said.
“I’m playing a different role and it makes me think of defensive play more than the offensive zone. I’m trying to be an all-around player.”
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: The Predators could have a busy offseason.
“I think you have to put everything in perspective, exactly where we are,” Trotz said. “You have to be realistic in everything that we do. Let’s not sugarcoat it. We want to be a top-level team. We have to go there. We’re going to have to do what’s necessary to do that.
“Obviously (GM David Poile) has a game plan. It’s probably inappropriate for me to comment on it, but I know we’re going to have to have a very busy summer and make sure we fill holes. I know he has a game plan for that. When he wants to divulge that game plan, we’ll unleash him on you I guess.”
The Predators could have close to $22 million in cap space, with only Patric Hornqvist and Roman Josi as their only main free agents.
- Flyers.NHL.com: The Flyers signed forwards Zac Rinaldo and Jay Rosehill to two-year contracts. Tim Panaccio: Rinaldo’s deal has a cap hit of $675,000. Rosehill has a cap hit of $750,000.
- Oilers president Kevin Lowe apologizes for his comments about their fans.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks that head coach Ralph Krueger’s job is safe. There have been four coaching changes in the last six years. The Oilers could look to trade Ales Hemsky and his $5 million salary, possibly picking up part of his contract to move him. Eric Belanger and his $1.75 million will be on the block. Matheson doesn’t see the Oilers re-signing Ryan Whitney. They will probably re-sign one of Mark Fistric or Theo Peckham. Sam Gagner, RFA, is going to want a new deal in the $4.5 million to $5 million range. Do they re-sign him for that or flip him for a bigger winger or center? They could buyout Ryan Smyth or see if he’d be fine with playing only 40 games.
- Oilers press conference yesterday for the firing of GM Steve Tambellini and hiring of Craig MacTavish.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings will determine over the next couple weeks if they will be buyers or sellers. They won’t be looking for depth type players unless they have another string of injuries. If they are to make a move, they could be looking to add a top-four defenseman or a top-six forward. Finding one of those won’t be easy and won’t come cheap.
“First off, we got to win some games; we got to be in a position where we think we’re a playoff team and it makes good business sense,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “If we don’t win enough games, that decision is going to be made for me.
“We got to assess our team over the next 2-3 weeks and see if we’re in a position to be a playoff team. Then we’ll explore.”
Defenseman that could be available: Jay Bouwmeester, Lubomir Visnovsky, Mark Streit, Ryan Whitney, Robyn Regehr and Ron Hainsey.
- Insider Trading Video: Realignment agreed upon, Senators, Soderberg, staged fighting, Senators, Laraque and McKinnon.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Senators are looking to add a physical player, preferably one that can drop the gloves.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Forward Carl Soderberg is hoping to join the Bruins after the Swedish Elite Leagues playoffs are over. He led the SEL in scoring. Agent JP Barry notes Soderberg as the best player in Sweden and should get lots of NHL interest if the Bruins let him go to free agency. One NHL team said that Soderberg is a solid 2nd line center. The Bruins like how Soderberg can also play the wing. Joe Haggerty via twitter: Haggerty confirms that there have been discussions between the Bruins and Soderberg.
- Joe Haggerty via twitter: The Bruins third line has been struggling and they could look to bring in a winger that would help fix the problem. The Bruins have been scouting Ryane Clowe. Jarome Iginla, Brendan Morrow and Ryan Smyth are others that might be on their trade watch list.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Oilers won’t get much for defenseman Ryan Whitney at this rate. His foot speed has taken a big hit.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: Red Wings defenseman Ian White is having trouble cracking the Red Wings lineup and spoke with GM Ken Holland about it yesterday. He hasn’t asked for a trade, nor expect to be traded. White was a healthy scratch for the fifth time this season last night.
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Strickland wonders if the Blues should look at acquiring Avalanche center Paul Stastny. Stastny has one year left on his deal and carries a $6.6 million cap hit. Would the Avs eat some of the contract?
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Sources are saying the Blues are looking for a left handed top-four defenseman that can play with either Alex Pietrangelo or Kevin Shattenkirk. It might have to wait until the summer as it’s not easy to find one.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: One possibility is the Flames trading Jarome Iginla to a contender and then resigning him in the summer. He may not be ready to start making $3-4 million a season.
What will the Sens do with Alfredsson? GMs are puzzled with Sherman … O’Reilly’s dad writes email … Friedman’s thoughts
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: LeBrun thinks that if Daniel Alfredsson became available, the Bruins could be interested. GM Bryan Murray likely doesn’t have any desire to move Alfredsson given what he has meant to the organization, but he would likely let Alfredsson know if teams come calling. The Sharks got off to a hot start, but have struggled lately.
“It’s getting back to doing the things that allowed us to be successful early in the year,” Wilson told ESPN.com on Tuesday. “It’s been addressed. Our talent level hasn’t changed. But as you know, we’re always looking for ways to improve our hockey team.”
LeBrun doesn’t think Panthers GM Dale Tallon will wait much longer before he starts making moves, maybe 5 or 6 games. They’ll have to decide if they want to re-sign Stephen Weiss or not.
- Steve Simmons via twitter: Simmons notes that the Avalanche haven’t told other GMs what the price for Ryan O’Reilly is. They are telling them to make an offer. Most GMs are puzzled by this.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Ryan O’Reilly’s dad, Brian, sent Dater an email about his sons situation, and gave him permission to post it. Here is the first paragraph of it. Click on the above link to finish reading it:
“Thank you for your kind words. This is not about money and never has been. As you know you don’t build team based on dollars. If you did then the people with the most expensive players would be our champion . You build a team on its character. Ryan is not a superstar based on skill but character. I know this for a fact the players he was yesterday will not be the player he was tomorrow he will continue to grow learn and thrive .The world values it less and less, yet everyone is looking for those players that eat sleep and drink the game and are unselfish plus compete because they are intrinsically motivated for excellence. This is another trait humankind is slowly losing! It used to be a bigger part of our game because we used to let kids develop character and test themselves without all the importance put on systems methods and criteria of adults. My children were raised in an environment of sport where Athletics was held up as something you do to develop your sense of personhood, qualities of-collaboration,team play and most important the development of your character, mental toughness as an individual and it was FUN from which you Learn. How many goals you got or how many points you got was not how you measured yourself. What was important was giving your best day in day out. Leadership was shown on a daily bases, by treating people well even those they miss treat you. In the world today we are losing our sense of meaning and purpose my by devaluing people worth in ways that are ridiculous And Absurd.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC.ca: Friedman had originally thought that the Rangers and Avalanche were discussing a Michael Del Zotto and Derek Stepan for O’Reilly and another defenseman, but was later told that Stepan was never discussed. Friedman wouldn’t be surprised if the Avalanche called the Panthers. It doesn’t look like the Red Wings would be interested in Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. The Oilers may be wondering what to do with Ryan Smyth. It could be just a blip, but he has one year left on his deal and it’s 35+ contract. Penguins GM Ray Shero was scouting the Wild-Avs game last week, and Friedman notes that Matt Cullen has “Penguin written all over him.” The CBA was expected to be complete last Saturday, but they are still working on it.
Scratches, Lines and goalies: Oils, Rangers, Sabres, Sens, Devils, Caps, Pens, Isles, Ducks, Blackhawks, Stars, Bruins and Jets
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Oilers winger Ryan Smyth and defenseman Ryan Whitney appear to be scratched tonight.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Rangers Brian Boyle will be scratched again. Eminger and Bickel are also out.
- Ken Warren via twitter: Tyler Myers will return to the Sabres lineup tonight.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Senators lines: Michalek-Zibanejad-Alfredsson;Greening-Turris-Silfverberg;Condra-Smith-Neil;Daugavins-Da Costa-O’Brien. Defensive pairings: Karlsson-Methot; Gonchar-Lundin;Wiercioch-Phillips. Benoit could be sitting.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils lines: Matteau-Zajac-Kovalchuk; Elias-Henrique-Clarkson; Carter-Gionta-Bernier; Barch-Josefson-Butler.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals lines: Chimera-Ribeiro-Ovechkin, Wolski-Backstrom-Brouwer, Fehr-Perreault-Ward, Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb.
- Edmonton Oilers via twitter: Oilers lines: Hall-RNH-Eberle Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky Paajarvi-Belanger-Hartikainen Eager-Smyth-Petrell.
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Boychuk-Malkin-Neal Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy Glass-Jeffrey-Adams (Tangradi, Vitale). Defensive pairings: Orpik-Martin Engelland-Bortuzzo Despres-Reese Niskanen-Letang.
- New York Islanders via twitter: Islanders lines:Moulson-Tavares-Boyes, Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo, Grabner-Aucoin-McDonald-Reasoner, Ullstrom-Cizikas-Martin-Boulton.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks lines: Kyle Palmieri-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry, Emerson Etem-Bobby Ryan-Teemu Selanne, Andrew Cogliano-Saku Koivu-Daniel Winnik. Matt Beleskey-Nick Bonino-Brad Staubitz. Defensive pairings: Sheldon Souray-Francois Beauchemin, Luca Sbisa-Toni Lydman, Bryan Allen-Ben Lovejoy.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Chicago lines: Brandon Saad-Jonathan Toews-Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp-Dave Bolland-Patrick Kane, Bryan Bickell-Andrew Shaw-Viktor Stalberg, Brandon Bollig/Jamal Mayers-Marcus Kruper-Michael Frolik. Defensive pairings: Duncan Keith-Brent Seabrook, Niklas Hjalarmasson-Johnny Oduya, Nick Leddy-Michal Rozsival.
- Mike Heika via twitter: Stars lines: Morrow-Benn-Jagr, Eriksson-Roy-Ryder, Smith-Eakin-Vincour, Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt. Defensive pairings: Dillon-Robidas, Rome-Daley, Goligoski-Larsen.
- Fluto Shinzawa via twitter: Bruins lines: Lucic-Krejci-Horton, Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Scott Clemmensen will be in net for the Panthers against Braden Holtby and the Capitals.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks Viktor Fasth will face Corey Crawford and the Blackhawks.
- Mike Heika via twitter: Stars Kari Lehtonen will face Devan Dubnyk and the Oilers.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Henrik Lundqvist will be in net for the Rangers tonight.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Craig Anderson will start in net for the Senators.
- Update: Gary Lawless via twitter: Al Montoya will start in net for the Jets tonight.
Player notes involving: Del Zotto, Nash, Braun, Stuart, Koivu, Hecht, Smyth, Hartnell, Hamerlik, Murray and Scheifele
- Szymon Szemberg via twitter: Rangers Michael Del Zotto has left Rapperswil with a back injury. Larry Brooks via twitter: Del Zott0 has mild back stiffness. Rick Nash’s groin injury is only minor after his weekend examination.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Sharks Justin Braun fractured a bone in his hand and is leaving Finland.
- Winnipeg Sun: Jets defenseman Mark Stuart signed with the Florida Everblades of the ECHL.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks Saku Koivu has been skating with TPS Turku of the SM-liiga. He owns a part of the team, along with his brother Mikko and Miikka Kiprusoff. Sources are saying that he won’t be suiting up for them right away, maybe not until after Christmas or possibly only if the NHL season is cancelled.
- Ottawa Sun: Free agent forward Jochen Hecht signed a 2 year deal with Adler Mannheim of the German league. Hecht had spent the last nine seasons playing for the Sabres.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers Ryan Smyth hasn’t played during the lockout, but it’s possible that he joins Team Canada for the Spengler Cup. The Canadians could also have forwards Tyler Seguin, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Brooks Laich, Danny Briere, Joffrey Lupul, Sam Gagner, Jamie Benn and Tyler Ennis. Along the blueline they could have Stephane Robidas, Jared Spurgeon and Andrew Ference. In net, Jonathan Bernier could be an option.
- Ottawa Sun: Flyers Scott Hartnell doesn’t think any of Roman Hamrlik’s Capitals teammates will stick up for him on the ice after the comments Hamrlik has made during the lockout.
“I don’t think anyone other than Roman Hamrlik in Washington — a guy who has made $50-to-$60 million from the (NHL Players’ Association) — has turned on us. You’re going to have guys like that,” Hartnell told the radio station. “I can’t wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him. To sell the whole PA under the bus and to stick up for a guy like that is going to be tough.”
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets Ryan Murray’s agent, Rick Valette, told the Columbus Dispatch that Murray’s surgery has been pushed back from yesterday to mid-January.
“If waiting a month allows it to recover to 105 percent, that’s what we’re after. If he’s ready July 1 instead of June 1, no big deal.”
- Terry Koshan via twitter: The Jets have said that Mark Scheifele will remain with the Team Canada for the World Junior Championship, regardless if a new CBA gets done.
We’ll leave this post at the top of the site and fill in signings. Will look to continue with rumors, trades and notes below.
|Player||’12-13 Team||Contract notes|
|Bracken Kearns||Sharks||1 year, $550,000 2 way|
|Jay Leach||Devils||1 year, $525,000|
|Joey Crabb||Captials||1 year , $950,000|
|Brian McGrattan||Predators||1 year|
|John Scott||Sabres||1 year, $600,000|
|Mike Blunden||Canadiens||1 yea|
|Jason Garrison||Canucks||6 years, $27.6|
|Jordan Henry||Ducks||1 year, $600,000|
|Sheldon Souray||Ducks||3 years, $11 million|
|Cedrick Desjardins||Canadiens||1 year, $600,000|
|Aaron Rome||Stars||3 years , $4.5 million|
|Jordin Tootoo||Red Wings||3 years, $5.7 million|
|Mike Kostka||Maple Leafs|
|Mikael Samuelsson||Red Wings||2 years, $6 million|
|Bryan Allen||Ducks||3 years, $10.5 million|
|Matt Frattin||Maple Leafs||2 years, $1.7 million|
|Ryan Hamilton||Maple Leafs||1 year , $600,000 2 way|
|Jussi Rynnas||Maple Leafs||1 year 2 way|
|Sami Salo||Lightning||2 years, $7.5 million|
|Jay McClement||Maple Leafs||2 years, $3 million|
|Adrian Aucoin||Blue Jackets||1 year, $2 million plus bonuses|
|Taylor Chorney||Blues||1 year|
|Chris Mason||Predators||1 year, $1.25 million|
|P.A. Parenteau||Avalanche||4 years, $16 million|
|Eric Boulton||Islanders||1 year|
|George Parros||Panthers||2 years , $1.9 million|
|Alexei Ponikarovsky||Jets||1 year, $1.8 million|
|Darcy Hordichuk||Oilers||1 year , $850,000|
|Sheldon Brookbank||Blackhawks||2 years|
|Greg Zanon||Avalanche||2 years, $4.5 million|
|Brandon Prust||Canadiens||4 years, $10 million|
|Michael Haley||Rangers||2 years|
|Francis Bouillon||Canadiens||1 year, $1.5 million|
|Kris Newbury||Rangers||2 years, 2 way|
|Chad Johnson||Coyotes||1 year, 2 way deal|
|Dustin Penner||Kings||1 year, $3.25 million|
|Filip Kuba||Panthers||2 years, $8 million|
|Tanner Glass||Penguins||2 years, $2.2 million|
|Arron Asham||Rangers||2 years, $2 million|
|Matt Carkner||Islanders||3 years , $4.5 million|
|Riley Holzapfel||Penguins||1 year , $525,000|
|Curtis McElhinney||Blue Jackets||1 year, $750,000 2 way|
|Steve MacIntyre||Penguins||2 year, 2 way|
|Andre Benoit||Ottawa||1 year, $650,000|
|Brad Boyes||Islanders||1 year, $1 million|
|Adam Burish||Sharks||4 years, $7.2 million|
|Brad Staubitz||Ducks||2 years, $1.275 million|
|Ray Whitney||Stars||2 years, $9 million.|
|Artem Sergeev||Lightning||3 year entry level deal|
|Colby Armstrong||Canadiens||1 year, $1 million|
|Guillaume Latendresse||Senators||1 year, $1.25 million plus bonuses|
|Torrey Mitchell||Wild||3 years, $5.7 million|
|Zenon Konopka||Wild||2 years , $1.5 million|
|Jeff Zatkoff||Penguins||2 years, $1.05 million|
|Mike Lundin||Senators||1 year , $1.15 million|
|Stu Bickel||Rangers||2 years, $1.5 million|
|Joe Corvo||Hurricanes||1 year , $2 million|
|Justin Peters||Hurricanes||2 years , $1.075. 1st year 2 way|
|John Mitchell||Avalanche||2 years , $2.2 million|
|Greg Rallo||Panthers||1 year, 2 way|
|Dov Grumet-Morris||Panthers||1 year, 2 way|
|Jonas Gustavsson||Red Wings||2 years, $3 million|
|David Moss||Coyotes||2 years , $4.2 million|
|Derek Meech||Jets||1 year, $700,000 2-way|
|Scott Clemmensen||Panthers||2 years.|
|Brett Sutter||Hurricanes||1 year, $550,000|
|Michael Leighton||Flyers||1 year, $900,000|
|Benoit Pouliot||Lightning||1 year, $1.8 million|
|Yann Danis||Oilers||1 year, $775,00- 2 way|
|Ryan Smyth||Oilers||Re-signed. 2 years, $4.5 milion|
Parise meeting with Lou … Ducks did everything to try to sign Schultz … Leafs targeting Prust? Brodeur and ‘Hawks … Stars letting 5 UFAs hit market
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Hearing that Zach Parise is to meet with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello today for one final time before free agency starts at noon tomorrow.
- Michael Russo via twitter: Zach Parise will be in Toronto with his agents tomorrow.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Bruce Boudreau said that Ducks GM Bob Murray “did everything right and everything in his power” in his attempt to sign Justin Schultz.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The Maple Leafs aren’t up to anything after Colby Armstrong buy out, just clearing cap space. Leafs weren’t certain that Armstrong could bounce back from injuries. Nick Kypreos via twitter: One might think that the Maple Leafs might be willing to slide Armstrong’s salary over to Brandon Prust. It’s believed he’s looking for $3 million.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Expecting Ryan Smyth and the Oilers to conclude negotiations today. Trying to get a deal done before tomorrow.
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Penguins re-sign defenseman Matt Niskanen to a 2 year contract for $4.6 million.
- Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago: Myers wonders if Martin Brodeur could be what the Blackhawks need.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: The Stars have informed 5 of their unrestricted free agents that they won’t be re-signing them before July 1st, but not closing the door on possible returns: Sheldon Souray, Adam Burish, Radek Dvorak, Jake Dowell and Toby Petersen.
More Luongo rumblings … Ott in play … Pens looking for Letang partner … Keeping Suter’s rights … Rangers options … Flyers cost for Ryan
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Source said that Roberto Luongo to this point has declined to waive his no trade clause to go to the Blackhawks or Maple Leafs. As of today, the Panthers are the only place he’s willing to be traded to. Bob McKenzie via twitter: There’s a lot of talk about Roberto Luongo waiving/not waiving his no trade clause. McKenzie thinks that the process has yet to be that formal. He prefers Florida, but if that doesn’t work out, doors to Toronto or elsewhere are not closed. At the end of the day, Luongo has to make sure he doesn’t end up with Chicago of the AHL. Right now the Panthers and Maple Leafs think the asking price is too high. James Mirtle via twitter: Mirtle thinks that Luongo may have both interest and reservations about a trade to Toronto. Doesn’t think they he’s officially said yes or no. Aaron Portzline via twitter: Portzline thinks Luongo is using the power of his no-trade clause to “steer” a trade to the Panthers as much as possible.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Stars Steve Ott is still in play. LeBrun thinks he’d be a great fit in Montreal. The Stars could hold on to him if they don’t get what they are looking for.
- Rob Rossi via twitter: The Penguins top priority is to find a partner for Kris Letang. A Paul Martin deal almost happened at the draft. The Penguins will be in on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, but aren’t the favorites. Each player, like Sidney Crosby, would have to take less.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Despite teams being interested in trading for Ryan Suter’s rights, it’s likely that he’ll test the open market. Suter has given the Predators no indication that he wouldn’t re-sign with the team. If the Predators were to trade his rights, it may hamper David Poile’s attempt re-sign him. Suter is a midwest guy and likes the anonymity of playing in Nashville.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: Rangers GM Glen Sather said they will be “as aggressive as possible” in the free agent market.
“The closer to the top you are, you have to be a little more aggressive if you want to get better,” the GM said. “If you trade, you have to give away assets, but in free agency you’re just giving away money and [taking] the chance the cap might shrink.
“I think we’re going to try to be as aggressive as possible in the free agent market.”
The Rangers currently have about $20 million in cap space, but need to re-sign Michael Del Zotto and Martin Biron. They’d like Zach Parise. Alexander Semin is one option, but it’s hard to see the Rangers giving him the long term deal he’s said to be looking for. Other options could be Ray Whitney, Ryan Smyth, Shane Doan and maybe Jochen Hecht. The Rangers are interested in Justin Schultz. They talked to the Coyotes about Keith Yandle but the price was too high.
- Randy Miller via twitter: The Flyers would probably have to give up Brayden Schenn, Braydon Coburn and a 1st round pick for Bobby Ryan.
Morning notes: Suter, Sens goalies, Nash, Leafs, Luongo, Brodeur, Rangers, Jets, Smyth, Devils and Canadiens
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Talks are going to happen between the Predators and Ryan Suter in the coming days. “David and I plan on talking sometime this week,” Sheehy said.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:The Senators will try to trade Sergei Gonchar’s $5.5 million contract. Garrioch wonders if the Senators would trade either Robin Lehner or Ben Bishop if they get an offer they can’t refuse. They aren’t in a hurry to trade either goalie. The Blue Jackets, Maple Leafs, Lightning and maybe the Devils could be looking for goaltenders. They wouldn’t make a deal with a Leafs. The Lightning want to build around a young goalie. The Blue Jackets may get a goalie in a Rick Nash deal. The Senators showed some interest in Nash, but moved on after Howson asked for Mika Zibanejad, Mark Stone, a 1st round pick and a roster player. The Sens current plan is to bring Lehner and Bishop to camp to battle it out for the backup position.
- Louis-Andre Larivere of QMI in the Toronto Sun: The Maple Leafs receive no compensation for the losing Rick Dudley to the Canadiens, except for assurance that he won’t have any input on draft day. Burke has been pushing for teams to get compensation for losing front office employees. Burke on Roberto Luongo trade speculation:
“There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) about that player,” Burke said.
- ESPN: Video (embedding disabled) of Martin Brodeur saying he doesn’t think he’ll retire after the season.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Rangers Brandon Dubinsky said that he had a high ankle sprain and will need another 6-8 to be fully healed. Brandon Prust will have surgery to repair a tendon on his left ring finger. It was originally hurt in February in a fight with Zenon Konopka.
- The Fourth Period: Re-signing Evander Kane and Ondrej Pavelec are priorities for the Jets. They will also have to decide on Kyle Wellwood, Jim Slater, Tim Stapleton, Tanner Glass, Mark Flood and Randy Jones. The Jets will be looking for some secondary scoring this offseason through trade or free agency. Possible free agent targets could be P.A. Parenteau, David Jones and Jiri Hudler.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Ryan Smyth’s agent will be talking with the Oilers this week. The Oilers have already offered a 2 year contract. Matheson thinks the Oilers could be offering in the $2.5-$2.75 million per season range, and Smyth could be looking for $3 million plus. Smyth hasn’t said much other than he doesn’t want to take a big pay cut from his $4.5 million salary he had last season.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: The Devils haven’t decided yet if they’ll forfeit this years 1st round draft pick for it’s cap circumvention on Ilya Kovalchuk’s initial contract.
- Corey Pronman via twitter: June 1st is the deadline for signing non NCAA/KHL/MHL 2010 draft picks.