- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Steve Mason
GM meeting next week … Notes on the Maple Leafs, Datsyuk practicing, Wild goalie injuries, Mason gets stitches, Souray injured
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The GM meetings are next week. They’ll talk about putting the red-line back in, video review for goalie interference, concussions and CBA talk.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Drafting in the top 10 could be good thing for the Leafs. Or they could trade the pick for a top forward and other needed pieces.
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: The Maple Leafs may be looking for a #1 goalie this offseason. The UFA list isn’t spectacular. Martin Brodeur, Dwayne Roloson and Johan Hedberg are at the end of their careers. Tomas Vokoun puts up good numbers but seems to miss the playoffs. Do the Leafs take a chance on Evgeni Nabokov, Ray Emery or Al Montoya? Trading for a goalie is an option, but how big is the price for Kings Jonathan Bernier? There has been animosity between the Canucks and Maple Leafs, so a Cory Schneider deal may be hard to see.
- Terry Koshan of the Toront Sun: Maple Leafs ‘bubble boys’ heading into next season could be Mike Komisarek, Matthew Lombardi, Joey Crabb, Nikolai Kulemin, Tim Connolly and Jay Rosehill, along with Jonas Gustavsson (UFA) and James Reimer.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Red Wings Pavel Datsyuk practiced with the team yesterday, and Nicklas Lidstrom skated before. Both are out tonight, and unlikely for Saturday.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild goalie Josh Harding “tweaked something” in his lower body last night causing him to leave in the 2nd period. The severity of the injury isn’t known yet. Niklas Backstrom is already out with a groin injury. Their 4th goalie on their depth charts suffered an injury over the weekend and could be done for the year.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason took 15-20 stitches to his blocker hand. He was cut by the skate for defenseman John Moore, and is not expected to play this weekend. He’ll be re-evaluated this morning. Derek Dorsett left in the 3rd period with an upper body injury.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray is day-to-day with a lower body injury. He left last night’s game in the 2nd period. Defenseman Mark Fistric left with a hand injury in the 3rd, x-rays were negative and he should be able to go. Steve Ott missed last night’s game with back spasms.
Morning rumors involving: Ott, Mason, Boyes, Avalanche, Blackhawks, Stars, Sabres, Selanne, and Bernier
Nick Kypreos via twitter: The Maple Leafs, Flyers and Canucks have heavy interest in Steve Ott. The Flyers are reluctant to move James van Riemsdyk.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Avalanche Milan Hejduk and Paul Stastny aren’t going anywhere. David Jones, Cody McLeod and T.J. Galiardi are in play. The Blues were interested in Capitals Roman Hamrlik last summer, and could be interested now. Source saying that one team has an offer in for Steve Mason, who still has a year left on his contract at $3.2 million. The Bruins could look at Mike Knuble with the injuries to Nathan Horton and Rich Peverley. The Sabres would love to move Brad Boyes, but he’s owed $4 million next season.
Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune: The Blackhawks continue to look for defensive help.
John Shannon via twitter: Dallas “listening to everything about almost everybody over the age of 27.”
David Pagnotta via twitter: There is still talk going on surrounding Sabres Jason Pominville, Derek Roy and Drew Stafford.
Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Ducks GM Bob Murray: “For the last time, Teemu is not going anywhere,”
John Shannon via twitter: Told that the chances of Evgeni Nabokov re-signing is 50-50.
Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Jonathan Bernier has not asked for a trade. He desparately wants to start, and was unhappy that he wasn’t starting in back to backs.
HNIC Hotstove link: Panel discussing trade deadline (see last nights post for some points that were made if you don’t want to watch the video)
Sunday morning rumors and notes involving deadline buyers and sellers, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Kings, Blackhawks and Oilers
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:
“The prices, in some cases, are embarrassing,” said a league executive. “They’re going to get more realistic closer to the deadline, but right now teams are asking for too much for their players.”
Garrioch lists the Sellers and who is available: Carolina – Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek. Columbus – Jeff Carter, Antoine Vermette, Derick Brassard, Rick Nash and Steve Mason. NY Islanders – Mark Eaton, Steve Staios, Milan Jurcina, P.A. Parenteau. Tampa Bay – Ryan Malone. Edmonton – Ales Hemsky, Nikolai Khabibulin and Theo Peckham. Montreal – Travis Moen, Andrei Kostitsyn and Mathieu Darche.
The Buyers and who they like: San Jose – Rick Nash, Teemu Selanne and Ales Hemsky. Boston – Teemu Selanne, Ales Hemsky and Mike Knuble. Los Angeles – Rick Nash, Teemu Selanne and Ales Hemsky. Chicago – Nikolai Khabibulin, Bryan Allen and Derek Roy. Washington – Ales Hemsky and Antoine Vermette. Nashville – Ales Hemsky and Jarret Stoll.
Top 10 players to watch: 1. Rick Nash 2. Teemu Selanne 3. Jeff Carter 4. Ales Hemsky 5. Ryan Malone 6. Jarrett Stoll 7. Jaroslav Specek 8. Derek Roy 9. Antoine Vermette 10. Nikolai Khabibulin.
Keep an eye on: Mike Knuble, Bobby Ryan, Josh Harding, Jonathan Bernier, and Ryan Miller.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: If the NHL is helping out the Devils financially, “it is shortsighted for the league to withhold approval of deals that presumably would strengthen these wards of the state.” If they are able to trade for Marek Zidlicky, “it would be penny-wise but pound-foolish for the league to prevent it.”
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: The Leafs could look for a #1 goalie in the summer.
- Spector’s Hockey via twitter: Hockey Central suggested that the Blackhawks and Sharks might have interest in Oilers Nikolai Khabibulin.
- Dustin Leed via twitter: Scouting the Flyers – Penguins game: 2 Blue Jackets (GM Scott Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick were on the list to attend), 2 Blackhawks, Kings, Predators, Canadiens, Avalanche, Flames, Panthers and Blues. Randy Miller via twitter: Miller notes that 2 Blue Jackets executives have been at a Flyers 3 times this week. He thinks talks must be serious.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Scouting the Blue Jackets – Blackhawks game: Blues, Hurricanes, Senators, Washington, Red Wings, Rangers, Stars, Flyers and Canadiens.
- Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove notes by Spector’s Hockey (video not posted): Eric Francis said that some NHL GMs doubt Nash will get traded at the deadline. The Blue Jackets are looking for an impact player, 2 top prospects and a 1st round pick. Elliotte Friedman noted that the Blue Jackets are trying to push Nash on the Flyers, and that they’d prefer to move Jeff Carter to the Kings. Francis said that Patrick Kane is happy in Chicago and they are happy with him. Friedman suggested that the Blackhawks could face some questions if they have a short playoff run. Francis said the Flames haven’t had contract talks with Olli Jokinen, but he’s not going anywhere. Sam Gagner also isn’t going anywhere.
Late morning rumors involving: Karlsson, Parise, Moore, Grabovski, MacArthur, Gleason, Mason, Subban, Thomas and Morrow
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators will start serious talks with defenseman Erik Karlsson’s agent next week.
“We do have to talk,” Murray said Saturday. “In the next week or so, we either have to make a phone call or they have to make a phone call to at least initiate some discussion.” Murray said
Don’t expect the Devils to trade Zach Parise. He’s a UFA on July 1st and there haven’t been any talks. The Kings and Wild will be interested in Parise on July 1st. Lightning Dominic Moore is getting interest, and the Sens may make a pitch. The Maple Leafs have been tossing Mikhael Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur’s names in trade talks.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Blackhawks could have interest in Hurricanes Tim Gleason, as would half a dozen other teams. The Blue Jackets are trying to move Steve Mason but are not finding takers with his $3.2 million salary. They may have to put him on re-entry to see if someone would take him at half price. Don’t expect the Canadiens to move P.K. Subban. Tim Thomas’s no trade clause expires July 1st. Thomas would be in the last year of his deal, and will have a $3 million salary with a $5 million cap hit. Matheson thinks that Brenden Morrow could be a good fit with the Sharks, Canucks or Red Wings.
Schneider safe at deadline … Preds claim Yip … Carson, Repik to waivers … Hall hopes to play Saturday … Steen out … Starting goalies
- Jason Botchford via twitter: From what Cory Schneider has been told regarding the trade deadline, he doesn’t have much to worry about.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The Predators have claimed Brandon Yip off waivers from the Avalanche.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The Flames have put Brett Carson on waivers. The Panthers have put Michal Repik on waivers.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Oilers forward Taylor Hall hopes to play on Saturday.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils goalie Johan Hedberg hasn’t made a definite decision, but is thinking he’ll likely play next year.
- Jesse Spector via twitter: Penguins Kris Letang will be in the lineup tonight and in a top 4 role according to Bylsma.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Blues forward Alex Steen still isn’t 100% and won’t play tonight.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils lines: Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk; Sykora-Elias-Zubrus; Zalewski-Josefson-Clarkson; Carter-Mills-Janssen.
- Adam Kimelman via twitter: Evgeni Nabokov will start in net for the Islanders.
- Dave Lozo via twitter: Marc-Andre Fleury will start in net for the Penguins.
- Michael Russo via twitter: Looks like Niklas Backstrom will be starting in net for the Wild tonight.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Steve Mason will start in net for the Blue Jackets tonight.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Martin Brodeur will start in net for the Devils.
- Curtis Zupke via twitter: Jonathan Quick will start in net for the Kings.
Murray out, Stevens in, and who could be next? Isles not looking to move goalie … Kadri being scouted … Murray talks Filatov
- Helene Elliott of the LA Times: The LA Kings have fired Terry Murray. John Stevens will be their 23rd head coach, but on an interim basis.
“The challenge for a coach as well as players when you have expectations it’s driven more to results. It’s harder, at times, to look for those victories within losses. That’s just the state of the franchise right now,” Lombardi said from Boston, where he flew Monday to deliver the news to Murray at the team’s hotel.
The Kings are only averaging 2.24 goals per game, even with the additions of Mike Richards and Simon Gagne this summer. Richards is now hurt. Drew Doughty hasn’t put up the offensive numbers yet. Dustin Penner only has 2 goals, Justin Williams with 4. Anze Kopitar has been streaky. The 3rd and 4th lines haven’t established identities.
- Steven Marcus of Newsday: Islanders GM Garth Snow has said he isn’t looking to move any of his 3 goaltenders. He did express some urgency in turning things around for a playoff run. Evgeni Nabokov is getting close to returning from his 2nd groin injury. Rick DiPietro has a similar problem, no timeline on when he’ll be back.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: Tony Granato has lots of ties to the Kings front office. GM Lombardi also likes Darryl Sutter. Lombardi blamed the players for the firing of Murray. One GM on why teams may not be calling a concussion, a ‘concussion’ right away: “That word is so negative right now, teams just want to stay away from it…Behind the scenes, I’m sure these players are getting proper treatment. But every story you hear about concussions is so bad that I think they’re worried about the effect it has on players and media.” Friedman thinks a Oilers may have to send Magnus Paajarvi to the AHL soon. Maple Leafs prospect Nazem Kadri appears to be getting scouted hard, and could become a trade chip soon.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Pagnotta notes that Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is still looking to deal, but he may not have the final say.
- Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune: The Lightning have signed free agent forward Antti Miettinen to a 2 year deal worth $1.5 million per season. He gets a $500,000 signing bonus an a no-movement clause. He must clear waivers first since he appeared in a European league this year.
- Bryan Murray Audio: Senators GM Murray talks about Nikita Filatov heading back to Russia.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Steve Mason will start in net for the Blue Jackets tonight against the Canucks.
- Mike Heika via twitter: Richard Bachman will start in net for the Stars tonight against the Rangers.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Rangers forward Andre Deveaux gets a 3 game suspension for his elbow on Panthers Tomas Fleischmann.
- Katie Strang via twitter: The Flames have claimed Blake Comeau off waivers from the NY Islanders. Chris Botta via twitter: The Islanders save $1.9 million.
- Chirs Johnston via twitter: Kyle Turris expected to talk with reporters this morning, won’t play tonight.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Stars Brenden Morrow has been battling back issues and needs an injection that will keep him out a bit.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning forward Steve Downie is out tonight with an upper-body injury.
- Steve Goldstein via twitter: Panthers lines: Fleischman-Weiss-Versteeg. Repik-Santorelli-Bergenheim. Sturm-Kennedy-Kopecky. Dadanov-Matthias-Skille.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Derick Brassard will skate with Derek MacKenzie and Jared Boll. Cody Bass, Aaron Johnson and Steve Mason are scratches.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Cam Ward will start in net for the Hurricanes. Chris Mason will start in net for the Jets.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Marc-Andre Fleury will start in net for the Penguins against the Senators.
- Paul Hendrick via twitter: Kari Lehtonen will start in net for the Stars against Jonas Gustavsson and the Maple Leafs.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Curtis Sanford will start in net for the Blue Jackets. Allen York will be the backup. Steve Mason skated on his own this morning.
- Fluto Shinzawa via twitter: Tuukka Rask will be in net for the Bruins against Jimmy Howard and the Red Wings.
- Jeremy Rutherford via twitter: Brian Elliott will start in net for the Blues.
Parise meets with agents, many think he won’t re-sign … Leafs notes on Reimer, Grabovski and Lombardi … Luongo practicing … KHL will desire Semin
- Mark Everson of the NY Post: On Friday, Zach Parise met with Don Meehan in Tampa. Then, his lead representative Wade Arnott showed up to discuss his next contract, but not to strategize. Most believe he’ll not be back with the Devils next year due to several factors. 1. The Devils financial picture may not allow them to offer a competitive contract or surround him with the players needed to make a run at the cup. 2. The Devils haven’t made it past the 1st round since he’s been there. 3. He has to split prime ice time on the left wing with Ilya Kovalchuk, who’ll be around for 13 more years. 4. Newark is not Florida, nor California nor near his home in Minnesota. 5. Because of the reasons above, Lou Lamoriello would hate to lose Parise for nothing. “We want Zach Parise to be here. He wants to be here. We’ll do everything we can,” Lamoriello said.
- Pat Leonard of the NY Daily News: Rangers defenseman Marc Staal traveled with the team to Florida. There is no update on his status though. He was cleared for “light physical activity” last Thursday. Anton Stralman, who’s been a healthy scratch since signing with the club on Nov. 5th, practiced with the first power play unit.
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer talked with the media yesterday for the first time in a month. His concussion-like symptoms are almost gone, and he’s hoping to be back soon.
“When it’s concussion-like symptoms and you have to err on the side of caution, the only thing you can’t do is get your heart rate up. You’re just kind of sitting on your butt for a month.”
Reimer will take part in his first full practice on Thursday. James Reimer audio.
- Gordon McIntyre of the Vancouver Province: Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo was back practicing with the team yesterday. Luongo is hoping to be back in uniform on Wednesday.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: There are no indications that the Blue Jackets are about to trade Derick Brassard. Sure they’d move him, but not a big market right now.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: It’s believed that Steve Mason has a mild concussion, but will not be out long-term. He didn’t travel with the team yesterday, Curtis Sanford will start tonight with Allen York as the backup. The Jackets remain optimistic that Mason can return this weekend against the Sabres.
- Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun: The Maple Leafs 2nd line of Kulemin-Connolly-MacArthur have played well lately, so when Mikhail Grabovski returns, he could give the team some nice depth as their 3rd line center.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Leafs coach Ron Wilson guessed that forward Matthew Lombardi is 3 1/2 to 4 weeks away.
- Slava Malamud via twitter: The KHL would view the signing of Alexander Semin as a major PR coup. He would get at least $7 million a year in the KHL.
- Joe Yerdon via twitter: Yerdon believes there is a market for Semin in the NHL. He can score 40 goals. An up tempo offensive team should desire him.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers had surgery today on his broken wrist and will be out at least a month.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason suffered a head injury at their morning sake. He was struck in the head with a Rick Nash shot.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Ducks have put Matt Beleskey on waivers.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau on Jay Beagle: “Last week he had a little bit of a setback, so he had to sort of start a little bit over.”
- Mike Morreale via twitter: The Hurricanes have recalled Brett Sutter and reassigned Zach Boychuk and Zac Dalpe.
- Josh Yohe via twitter: Penguins lines and defensive pairings: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis; Sullivan-Malkin-Neal; Cooke-Staal-Kennedy; Adams-Park-Asham (I think); Letang-Orpik; Martin-Z; Nisky-Engo.
- 630ched.com: Oilers lines and defensive pairings: Ryan Smyth – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall – Sam Gagner – Ales Hemsky, Anton Lander – Shawn Horcoff – Ryan Jones, Darcy Hordichuk – Eric Belanger – Lennart Petrell, Ladislav Smid – Tom Gilbert, Theo Peckham – Jeff Petry , Taylor Chorney – Colten Teubert.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils lines: Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk; Sykora-Elias-Zubrus; Tedenby-Carter-Clarkson; Pelley-Mills-Janssen; Extra: Palmieri.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Anders Nilsson will make his 1st NHL start tonight for the Islanders. Niederreiter and Comeau will be scratched. Ullstrom and Okposo will be in.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Henrik Karlsson is expected to start tonight for the Flames against the Blue Jackets. Curtis Sanford will start in net for the Blue Jackets, Allen York will back him up.
- George Richards via twitter: Jose Theodore will start in net for the Panthers against Martin Brodeur and the Devils.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start in net for the Capitals against the Coyotes.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Nikolai Khabibulin will start in net for the Oilers.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: NHL coaches that could be in trouble are Brent Sutter (CAL), Paul Maurice (CAR), Joe Sacco (COL), Bruce Boudreau (WASH) and Scott Arniel (CBJ). The Flames are going to have to consider trading Jarome Iginla if they are out of the playoff race close to the trade deadline. Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson continues to look for deals involving Derick Brassard, Antoine Vermette and Steve Mason for whatever they can get for them. There has been significant interest in Vermette. The Maple Leafs are expected to offer Jonas Gustavsson in a deal if they go after a goalie. Names available are Jonathan Bernier (LA), Scott Clemmensen (FLA), Chris Mason (WIN) and Anders Lindback (NASH). Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman has been trying to add a center and could be interested in Oilers Sam Gagner. The Flyers are getting closer to moving defenseman Matt Carle, with the Flyers willing to take a draft pick in return. The Oilers and Ducks could use some help on the blueline. Nothing new on Kyle Turris. A league executive believes he’ll sign a deal with the Coyotes by Dec. 1st, and then get dealt.
- Dave Hilson of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek will be out 8 weeks with a broken arm. His arm requires surgery.
- Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel: The Panthers recalled Jacob Markstrom yesterday as backup goalie Scott Clemmensen was too sore to go after coming off his shutout on Tuesday. Rumors of the Maple Leafs looking for a goalie are still out there.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Oilers will be without Corey Potter for a month and Andy Sutton for 7 to 10 days.
- Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune: Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook and winger Michael Frolik both skated yesterday and are expected back in the lineup in the next game or two.
- Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen will resume skating today. He’s missed their last 4 games. Cam Ward will start in net for the Hurricanes today against the Maple Leafs.
- Jason Botchford via twitter: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Canucks today.
- Sportsnet Sources Say:
Visnovsky and Goligoski out 4 weeks … Hagman on re-entry waivers … Green out … Blue Jackets looking for goaltender
- Kevin Allen via twitter: Ducks defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky will out 4 weeks with a broken finger. Curtis Zupke via twitter: The Ducks aren’t expected to make any moves today. Kurtis Foster has been their 7th defenseman.
- Eric Francis via twitter: The Flames have put Niklas Hagman on re-waivers. Have to wait until 10 am on Monday to find out if anyone has claimed him. (He has a $3 million cap hit, he can be had for $1.5 million).
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Alex Goligoski has a broken thumb and is out about 4 weeks.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals defenseman Mike Green will not be in the lineup tonight. Alexander Semin will play.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: Blue Jackets forward Jeff Carter will return tonight. Goaltender Mark Dekanich suffered a groin injury and could be out weeks. GM Scott Howson said they are not actively pursuing a goaltender. Evgeni Nabokov is a name they might consider. Joe Yerdon of Pro Hockey Talk: The Jackets could also call the Panthers about Scott Clemmensen or pursue free agent Marty Turco.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets lines: Nash – Carter – Umberger; Prospal – Letestu – Johansen; Vermette – Pahlsson – Dorsett; Calvert – MacKenzie – Boll. Steve Mason will start in net with Allen York as his backup.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Lightning winger Ryan Malone is still not skating but they are hopeful for Monday in Winnipeg.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Craig Anderson will start in net for the Senators tonight. Brian Lee will replace David Rundblad on the blueline.
- John Vogl via twitter: Ryan Miller will start in net for the Sabres tonight against the Bruins.
Lightning looking for top 4 Dman … Plenty of goalies could be on the market … Avs Sacco and Sherman may be on hotseats
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: LeBrun would like to see what the Blue Jackets can do when Jeff Carter returns, and adds that Steve Mason won’t be the starting goalie next season. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is working the phones trying to find a deal to help out his struggling team. Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is looking to add a top 4 type defenseman. Blues GM Doug Armstrong won’t hesitate to make a trade or two if Hitchcock can’t lead them to a quick turnaround.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Panthers backup goalie Scott Clemmensen is in the final year of his deal and making $1.2 million. The Panthers may look to move to clear room for rookie Jacob Markstrom.
“You never know,” Tallon said. “There are things that can come into play moving forward. We’ll see what happens. I think we have good depth in our organization in goaltending. I’d rather err on the side of caution.”
If a team wanted to part with considerable assets, they may be able to pry Cory Schneider out of Vancouver or Jonathan Bernier out of LA. Evgeni Nabokov is being showcased by the Islanders. Nabokov is only earning $570,000 which may interest the Blue Jackets. Chris Botta is saying the asking price for Nabokov is a 2nd round pick, which may be a bit steep. Wild’s Josh Harding could be an option for some teams, but the Wild may not be actively looking to deal. He makes $750,000 and will be a UFA at the end of the season.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Despite being 7-7-1, the Avalanche have been struggling and “things are going to get serious” if it continues. Pressure is starting to mount on coach Joe Sacco and GM Greg Sherman. There have been ‘whisperings’ around the league about their job status. Dater wonders if Sacco is juggling lines too much? Puts guys in the doghouse too fast? Lose confidence in guys to fast?
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The NY Rangers acquired 23 year old winger Francois Bouchard from the Capitals for 21 year defenseman Tomas Kundratek. Both will remain in the AHL. Anton Stralman has been medically cleared and will join team his teammates for practice today.