- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Tyler Seguin
From twitter unless otherwise noted
- Elliott Pap: Canucks Ryan Kesler will play tonight.
- Farhan Lalji: Don’t expect Kesler on the PP and PK tonight. Chris Tanev injured his leg last game and is day-to-day.
- Chicago Blackhawks: Forward Patrick Sharp is travelling with the team to Minnesota. Status for Tuesday’s game could known at tomorrow’s morning skate.
- James Mirtle: Randy Carlyle said that Joffrey Lupul is day-to-day.
- Dan Seguin: Senators Erik Karlsson was back on the ice for the first time today.
- Roger Millions: Flames Jiri Hudler is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
- Joanne Ireland: Oilers Ales Hemsky is out with a foot injury. He’s been bothered by it for several weeks.
- Sam Kasan on Penguins.NHL.com: Head coach Dan Bylsma said that James Neal has a concussion and won’t be going on their three game road trip. Defenseman Kris Letang is back practicing and said it’s up to Bylsma when he returns.
- Michael Vega of the Boston Globe: Bruins Tyler Seguin have been moved from the 2nd line center to the 3rd line with Daniel Paille, Chris Kelly and Jay Pandolfoat yesterday’s practice.
“Right now, I don’t think we’ve got a [No.] 1, 2, 3 or 4 [line],’’ coach Claude Julien said. “As you can see, there are good players on every line. We move players around a little bit, maybe to balance things for the time being. But right now it’s about playing your game as an individual; you shouldn’t care where you are, you should care what you bring.’’
- David Pagnotta via twitter: When the Spengler Cup is over, Bruins Tyler Seguin will return to North America, leaving EHC Biel.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Tomas Plekanec has injured earlier this week, but he should be able to play next week.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets Brandon Dubinsky has been out since Nov. 10th with a broken finger, has returned to the ECHL’s Alaska Aces.
Here is a list of players that have signed contracts to play overseas during the NHL lockout.
We will continue to update as long as players keep signing.
|Player||2012-13 NHL Team||Lockout Team||League|
|Artem Anisimov||Columbus||Lokomotiv Yaroslavl||KHL|
|Nik Antropov||Winnipeg||HC Barys||KHL|
|Anton Babcuk||Calgary||HC Donbass||KHL|
|Nicklas Backstrom||Washington||HC Dynamo Moscow||KHL|
|Niklas Backstrom||Minnesota||Dynamo Minsk||KHL|
|Matt Beleskey||Anaheim||Coventry||EIHL (UK)|
|Jamie Benn||Dallas||Hamburg Freezers||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Sean Bergenheim||Florida||HIFK Helsinki||SM-liiga|
|Patrice Bergeron||Boston||HC Lugano||Swiss National A League|
|Patrik Berglund||St. Louis||Vasteras||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Jonathan Bernier||Los Angeles||Heilbronner Falken||ESBG (Ger)|
|Sergei Bobrovsky||Columbus||SKA St. Petersburg||KHL|
|Damien Brunner||Detroit||EV Zug||KHL|
|Ilya Bryzgalov||Philadelphia||CSKA Moscow||KHL|
|Roman Cervenka||Calgary||Slavia Praha||Czech Extraliga|
|Zdeno Chara||Boston||HC Lev Praha||KHL|
|David Clarkson||New Jersey||EC Red Bull Salzburg||EBEL (Aus)|
|Erik Condra||Ottawa||EV Fussen||Oberliga (Ger)|
|Logan Couture||San Jose||Geneva-Servette||Swiss National A League|
|Matt D’Agostini||St. Louis||SC Ressersee||ESBG (Ger)|
|Pavel Datsyuk||Detroit||CSKA Moscow||KHL|
|Kaspars Daugavins||Ottawa||Dynamo Riga||KHL|
|Michael Del Zotto||NY Rangers||Rappersil-Jona Lakers||Swiss National A League|
|Jason Demers||San Jose||Oulu||SM-liiga|
|Raphael Diaz||Montreal||EV Zug||Swiss National A League|
|Rick DiPietro||NY Islanders||SC Riessersee||ESBG (Ger)|
|Matt Duchene||Colorado||Frolunda HC||Swedish Elite League|
|Christian Ehrhoff||Buffalo||Krefeld||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Lars Eller||Montreal||JYP||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Alexei Emelin||Montreal||Ak Bars||KHL|
|Cory Emmerton||Detroit||SalPa||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Deryk Engelland||Pittsburgh||Rosenborg||GET-Ligaen (Nor)|
|Tyler Ennis||Buffalo||SC Langnau||Swiss National A League|
|Jhonas Enroth||Buffalo||Huddinge IK||Sweden Division 1|
|Tobias Enstrom||Winnipeg||EC Red Bull Salzburg||EBEL (Aus)|
|Jonathan Ericsson||Detroit||Sodertalje EK||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Viktor Fasth||Anaheim||Tingsryd||Swedish League (T2)|
|Ruslan Fedotenko||Philadelphia||HC Donbass||KHL|
|Eric Fehr||Winnipeg||HPK||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Andrew Ference||Boston||Ceske Budejovice||Czech Extraliga|
|Valtteri Filppula||Detroit||Jokerit||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Kurtis Foster||Minnesota||Tappara||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Cody Franson||Toronto||Brynas||Swedish Elite League|
|Michael Frolik||Chicago||HC Chomutov||Czech Extraliga|
|Sam Gagner||Edmonton||EC KAC||EBEL (Aus)|
|Sergei Gonchar||Ottawa||Metallurg||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Mikhail Grabovski||Toronto||CSKA Moscow||KHL|
|Colin Greening||Ottawa||Aalborg Pirates||AL-Bank Ligaen|
|Carl Hagelin||NY Rangers||Sodertalje SK||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Martin Hanzal||Phoenix||NC Mountfield||Czech Extraliga|
|Victor Hedman||Tampa Bay||HC Barys||KHL|
|Ales Hemsky||Edmonton||Pardubice||Czech Extraliga|
|Patric Hornqvist||Nashville||Djurgardens IF||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Jiri Hudler||Calgary||Lev Praha||KHL|
|Jaromir Jagr||Dallas||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Jesse Joensuu||NY Islanders||Assat||Finnish League|
|Marcus Johansson||Washington||BIK Karlskoga||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Jussi Jokinen||Carolina||Oulu||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Roman Josi||Nashville||Bern||Swiss National A League|
|Tomas Kaberle||Montreal||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Evander Kane||Winnipeg||HC Dinamo Minsk||KHL|
|Patrick Kane||Chicago||EHC Biel||Swiss National A League|
|Erik Karlsson||Ottawa||Jokerit||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Anton Khudobin||Boston||HC Atlant Moscow Oblast||KHL|
|Jakub Kindl||Detroit||CSOB Pojistovna Pardubice||Czech Extraliga|
|Rostislav Klesla||Phoenix||Trinec||Czech Extraliga|
|Tomas Kopecky||Florida||HK Dukla Trencin||Slovak Extraliga|
|Mikko Koivu||Minnesota||TPS Turku||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Anze Kopitar||Los Angeles||Mora||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Lauri Korpikoski||Phoenix||TPS||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Sergei Kostitsyn||Nashville||Avangard Omsk||KHL|
|Ilya Kovalchuk||New Jersey||SKA St. Petersburg||KHL|
|David Krejci||Boston||Pardubice||Czech Extraliga|
|Pavel Kubina||Philadelphia||HC Vitkovice Steel||Czech Extraliga|
|Dmitry Kulikov||Florida||HC Lokomotiv||KHL|
|Gabriel Landeskog||Colorado||Djargarden||Swedish Elite League|
|Brooks Laich||Washington||Kloten Flyers||Swiss National A League|
|Philip Larsen||Dallas||Lukko||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Anders Lindback||Tampa Bay||Ilves||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Clarke MacArthur||Toronto||ETC Crimmitschau||ESBG (Ger)|
|Andrew MacDonald||NY Islanders||HC Karlovy Vary||Czech Extraliga|
|Andrei Markov||Montreal||HC Vityaz||KHL|
|Radek Martinek||Columbus||Ceske Budejovice||Czech Extraliga|
|Ryan McDonagh||NY Rangers||HC Barys||KHL|
|Milan Michalek||Ottawa||NC Mountfield||Czech Extraliga|
|Brendan Mikkelson||Tampa Bay||Vasteras||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Drew Miller||Detroit||Braehead Clan||EIHL (UK)|
|Douglas Murray||San Jose||Djurgardens IF||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Tyler Myers||Buffalo||EC KAC||EBEL (Aus)|
|Rick Nash||NY Rangers||Davos||Swiss National A League|
|Michal Neuvirth||Washington||Sparta Praha||Czech Extraliga|
|Frans Nielsen||NY Islanders||Lukko||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Nikita Nikitin||Columbus||Avangard Omsk Oblast||KHL|
|Andreas Nodl||Carolina||HC TWK Innsbruck||EBEL (Austria)|
|Patrick O’Sullivan||Phoenix||HIFK Helsinki||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Alex Ovechkin||Washington||Dynamo Moscow||KHL|
|Max Pacioretty||Montreal||Ambri Piotta||Swiss National A League|
|Ondrej Pavelec||Winnipeg||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Lennart Petrell||Edmonton||HIFK||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Rich Peverley||Boston||JYP||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Tomas Plekanec||Montreal||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Roman Polak||St. Louis||HC Vitkovice||Czech Extraliga|
|Alexei Ponikarovsky||Winnipeg||HC Donbass||KHL|
|Corey Potter||Edmonton||Vienna Capitals||EBEL (Austria)|
|Vinny Prospal||Columbus||NC Mountfield||Czech Extraliga|
|Tuukka Rask||Boston||HC Plzen||Czech Extraliga|
|Matt Read||Philadelphia||Sodertalje SK||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Peter Regin||Ottawa||Langenthal||Swiss National B League|
|Pekka Rinne||Nashville||HC Dinamo Minsk||KHL|
|Stephane Robidas||Dallas||HIFK||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Michal Roszival||Chicago||HC Plzen||Czech Extraliga|
|Kris Russell||St. Louis||TPS Turku||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Mike Santorelli||Florida||Tingsryds AIF||HockeyAllsvenskan|
|Luca Sbisa||Anaheim||HC Lugano||Swiss National A League|
|Tom Sestito||Philadelphia||Sheffield Steelers||EIHL (UK)|
|Tyler Seguin||Boston||EHC Biel||Swiss National A League|
|Dennis Seidenberg||Boston||Adler Mannheim||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Andrej Sekera||Buffalo||HC Slovan Bratislava||KHL|
|Alexander Semin||Carolina||Sokol Krasnoyarsk||VHL (Russia)|
|Wayne Simmonds||Philadelphia||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Jack Skille||Florida||Rosenborg||GET-Ligaen (Nor)|
|Ladislav Smid||Edmonton||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Craig Smith||Nashville||KalPa||SM-Liiga (Fin)|
|Vladimir Sobotka||St. Louis||Slavia Praha||Czech Extraliga|
|Jason Spezza||Ottawa||Rapperswil-Jona||Swiss National A League|
|Jared Spurgeon||Minnesota||SC Langnau||Swiss National A League|
|Viktor Stalberg||Chicago||Frolunda HC||Swedish Elite League|
|Alexander Steen||St. Louis||Modo||Swedish Elite League|
|Chris Stewart||St. Louis||Bili Tygri Liberec||Czech Extraliga|
|Mark Streit||NY Islanders||Bern||Swiss National A League|
|Vladimir Tarasenko||St. Louis||SKA St. Petersburg||KHL|
|Tomas Tatar||Detroit||SHK 37 Piestany||Slovak Extraliga|
|John Tavares||NY Islanders||SC Bern||Swiss National A League|
|Joe Thornton||San Jose||Davos||Swiss National A League|
|Jiri Tlusty||Carolina||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Thomas Vanek||Buffalo||Graz 99ers||EBEL (Austria)|
|Semyon Varlamov||Colorado||HC Lokomotiv||KHL|
|Semyon Varlamov||Colorado||Lokomotiv Yaroslavl||KHL|
|Lubomir Visnovsky||NY Islanders||Slovan Bratislava||KHL|
|Jakub Voracek||Philadelphia||HC Lev Praha||KHL|
|Tom Wandell||Dallas||Severstal Cherepovets||KHL|
|Yannick Weber||Montreal||Geneva-Servette||Swiss National A League|
|Blake Wheeler||Winnipeg||EHC Munchen||Deutsche Eishockey Liga|
|Tommy Wingels||San Jose||Kookoo||Mestis (Div II)|
|Marek Zidlicky||New Jersey||Kladno||Czech Extraliga|
|Henrik Zetterberg||Detroit||EV Zug||Swiss National A League|
|Sources: TSN, The Fourth Period and others.|
* Updated: Oct 12th
* Niklas Backstrom had signed with Dynamo Minsk, but he got injured and they went with Pekka Rinne instead.
Lucic to sign extension … Benn deal unlikely … Doan has no-movement, says 6 teams were in mix … Panthers injuries
- Kevin Paul Dupont via twitter: The Bruins will sign Milan Lucic to a long-term contract extension this morning. Dupont guesses the money will be upwards of Tyler Seguin’s $5.75 million.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: It’s unlikely that the Stars will get Jamie Benn signed to a contract extension. The Stars like to give out “bridge” contracts, 2 or 3 years in the $3 million range. Loui Eriksson and James Neal signed “bridge” deals. Benn wants more, especially after similar players are signing 5 or 6 year deals around $6 million. Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk,
“I would say pretty slow. We’ve had discussions , but I think it’s their prerogative to wait until after a new CBA, so that’s what we’ll do.”
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Would be a big surprise if P.K. Subban signs a contract extension before the lockout starts.
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Shane Doan has a no-movement clause, and the $2 million bonus is deferred until the end of his contract.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: TSN’s Mike Johnson said that according to Doan, the Maple Leafs, Canucks, Rangers, Flyers, Predators and Penguins were in the mix. The Maple Leafs confirmed they made a strong pitch for Doan.
- George Richards of the Miami Herald: Even if training camp were to start on time, the Panthers would be without Erik Gudbranson and Kris Versteeg due to injuries. Dmitry Kulikov is still not signed. Versteeg had hip surgery after the playoffs last year, and was told it would be 4 to 6 months recovery. He said on Thursday that he’s a few months away. Versteeg’s injury is hockey related, so he’ll get paid and be able to use the teams facilities. Gudbranson’s injury was not hockey related, so he won’t be paid, and is expected to be out 4 months.
Adam Proteau via twitter: The Boston Bruins have signed Tyler Seguin to a 6 year contract extension worth $34.5 million.
David Pagnotta via twitter: Salary breakdown: $4.5M yr1, $5.5M yr2, $6M yrs 3-4-5, and $6.5M yr6.
Seguin will have a salary cap hit of $5.75 million starting in 2013-14.
Seguin’s extension will make him the 2nd highest paid Bruin in 2013-14 behind Zdeno Chara’s $6.916 million salary cap hit. He will be their highest paid forward, ahead of David Krejci’s $5.25 million cap hit and Patrice Bergeron’s $5.0 million.
Gudbranson has surgery … Seguin close to extension … Holmstrom likely to retire … Reimer is #1 according to Burke
- Harvey Fialkov via twitter: The Panthers confirmed yesterday that defenseman Erik Gudbranson had shoulder surgery.
- DJ Bean via twitter: Tyler Seguin said he wants to get a contract extension done before the 15th, and noted that they’ve had good talks. Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Seguin is confident new contract will be done soon. Murphy guesses it’s already done. Nick Kypreos via twitter: Seguins deal will probably fall between John Tavares’s $5.5 million and Taylor Hall’s $6 million.
- Ansar Khan via twitter: Red Wings Mikael Samuelsson is using Tomas Holmstrom’s dressing room stall. Further indication that Holmstrom is likely to retire.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke re-iterated that he has faith in James Reimer as the teams number 1 goalie heading into this season. James Mirtle via twitter: Burke said that all is quiet on the trade front and doesn’t anticipate any changes in the near future. Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said that reports of James van Reimsdyk will play center were overblown, he wants to try different things down the middle.
CBA talks continue … Bruins talking with several players … Malkin and Kovalchuk to KHL if lockout … Canucks made offer for Doan
- Aaron Ward via twitter: “they (players) may take less in the future,but not less than they already have.If NHL offer similar to first,we’re counting the days.” … “Key indication that CBA negotiations will move forward,if in fact NHL does table a proposal,is if the offer addresses NHLPA position that “
- Dan Rosen via twitter: CBA talks today will include only Gary Bettman, Bill Daly, Donald Fehr and Steve Fehr and will focus on core economics.
- The Fourth Period: Talks between the Bruins and Tyler Seguin are ongoing. The Bruins stepped up their efforts after Jeff Skinner and Taylor Hall signed. A Seguin deal could be in the 6 to 8 year range, and worth between $5 million and $7 million. The Bruins are also working on deals for Andrew Ference, Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic. All have 1 year left on their deals.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL are prepared to offer Ilya Kovalchuk a lockout deal according to sovsport.ru.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Metallurg Magnitogorsk’s GM said yesterday that they have a lockout deal with Evgeni Malkin. Dave Molinari via twitter: Any KHL deal for Malkin would be “week-to-week” and would end when the lockout ends.
- Slava Malamud via twitter: Sport-Express reports that if there is a lengthy lockout, Evgeni Malkin will play with CSKA, Ilya Kovalchuk for SKA, with Alex Ovechkin and Pavel Datsyuk to be determined. Magnitogorsk VP denies the Malkin to CSKA, saying they have the KHL contract arbitration ruling on their side.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: Almost all of JP Barry’s Russian clients will play in the KHL if there is a lockout. Said that nothing was final regarding Malkin.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: Sergei Gonchar is expected to sign with either Metallurg or CSKA.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: Penguins GM Ray Shero is not aggressively looking for a top-pairing defenseman, “Barring something unforeseen, we’ll go into training camp with group we have.” The main reason is they are rare and none are available at this time.
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks have made an offer to Shane Doan, and it’s not a stretch to say that the Sedin’s $6.1 million is the bar.
- Josh Yohe via twitter: Shero on Shane Doan, “We have interest. But he has made it clear he wants to stay in Phoenix.”
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: Sergei Samsonov’s agent said yesterday that they are still speaking with several teams, and expects talks to extend into September. The Sharks are believed to be one of the teams interested.
“Sergei is healthy, fit and determined to make a successful comeback into the NHL,” Abbott said. “The labor uncertainty, however, is affecting the process and the looming lockout complicates the matter.”
Darren Dreger via twitter: The Canucks re-signed Eddie Lack to a 2 year deal worth $1.5 million.
- Mike Morreale via twitter: Blue Jackets 2012 draft pick, Oscar Dansk, will play in the OHL with the Erie Otters.
Free Agent and trade notes on: Subban, Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Doan, Franzen, Luongo, Carlson and Fistric
- L.A. Lariviere via twitter: P.K. Subban’s agent said there is no truth the report that Subban asked for a 5 year deal at $30 million, ”Another erroneous report. PK has not made any such request” Lariviere adds that his sources said that talks have been going on for a month, and they are moving very slow right now.
- Dan Tener via twitter: Taylor Hall’s agent approached Oilers GM Steve Tambellini at the draft about starting contract extension talks.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Oilers GM Tambellini on Jordan Eberle’s contract extension: “We’ve had some discussions, but I really don’t have anything to report.” Ryan Rishaug via twitter: Would expect that Eberle’s deal will get done shortly. Will likely be the same money as Hall, but the term could be shorter.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Talks between the Tyler Seguin and the Boston Bruins have been fluid, should pick up after the Taylor Hall signing.
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Sources close to the Shane Doan camp say that Phoenix is still his number one priority, regardless of the other offers he has. Sources also said that he and his agent have received some good news on that front, his agent Terry Bross wouldn’t confirm.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Johan Franzen’s production and reasonable cap hit ($3.9 million, runs through 2019-20) gives the Red Wings high value in a potential trade for a top 4 defenseman that they badly need.
- Jesse Spector of the Sporting News: Talks regarding a Roberto Luongo trade have been quiet lately.
- Dustin Leed via twitter: Leed was told earlier this offseason that there are certain players the Flyers will always keep a close eye on, John Carlson was one player mentioned.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: If the Stars ever decide to trade Mark Fistric, the could look at what they got last year from the Flyers for Nicklas Grossman, a 2nd and 3rd round pick.
- Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: The Maple Leafs were interested in Jonathan Bernier at the draft, then interest waned a bit, but a source said their interest as picked up again. It’s not clear if an actual offer was made, but Matt Frattin’s name may be involved. Bernier carries a $1.25 million cap hit this year, and will be a RFA next year. Andy Strickland via twitter: Sources are saying that the Kings GM Dean Lombardi wants a specific player from the Maple Leafs and a pick for Jonathan Bernier. Michael Traikos via twittter: Traikos asks Strickland if it could be Nikolai Kulemin? (I didn’t see a response)
- James Murphy of ESPN: The Ducks and Bruins had “exploratory” talks regarding Ryan, but Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli let them know that David Krejci and Milan Lucic are not available. The Bruins have dropped out of the Rick Nash sweepstakes. Reports are that the asking price was any combination of Krejci, Lucic, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Chiarelli had already let it be known that Seguin and Hamilton were non-starters.
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: According to a source, the Sharks haven’t had any discussions with the Blue Jackets regarding Rick Nash in “months.” The Blue Jackets haven’t come down from their insistence of Logan Couture, which is a non-starter. Rumors surfaced that the Sharks offered Dan Boyle to the Rangers for Marian Gaborik shortly after the season, but it fell through when he needed shoulder surgery that will keep him out until December.
- Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald: The Flames still have some items on their to-do list. One of their top priorities is to trade for some muscle and physical presence.
“We’re still having conversations with teams just to see what teams are thinking about and what teams need,” the Calgary Flames general manager said Wednesday. “We know we haven’t addressed our need to be a harder, tougher team to play against. Depending upon what other deals are out there, that’s something we’re still looking at.”
The Flames have a surplus of defenseman, 9 Dmen on 1-way deals. Jay Bouwmeester’s name is still rumored to be available.
“It’s been interesting,” Feaster said. “I thought when Suter went off the market, and even Parise, that you would see more. It’s been slow.”
“I think there are a number of reasons for that,” he said. “I think one of them is now the wait is, ‘what’s Shane Doan going to do.’ And then I also think, there’s still a wait and see on where are things going from a CBA perspective. And do you want to commit money? How close to $70 million do you want to get?”
- Luke Fox of Sportsnet: Fox looks at 6 teams that could trade for Rick Nash. Boston Bruins: They still believe they are a contender and could take a run at their 2nd cup in 3 years. Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Dougie Hamilton would likely be targeted by the Blue Jackets. Detroit Red Wings: The Wings lost out on Suter, Parise, Salo, Carle and Schultz and have the cap room to add Nash. They have prospects Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar that might interest the Blue Jackets. They may not be interested as they have a bigger hole on the blueline. Alexander Semin is still available and may be a short term fix. Why would the Blue Jackets trade within their division? New York Rangers: The Rangers have lots of young talent and the Blue Jackets are reportedly interested in Ryan McDonagh and Chris Kreider. They don’t score a lot of goals and will be without Marian Gaborik for a bit as he recovers from shoulder surgery. They may not do a deal because they may not find it worth giving up so many young assets. Philadelphia Flyers: The Flyers have the assets (Sean Couturier and/or Brayden Schenn) to make a deal that could improve their chances on getting a cup now. May not happen as they likely won’t want to trade Schenn since they traded for his brother. They may not want to give up Couturier since the moved a young forward in James van Riemsdyk to the Leafs. Pittsburgh Penguins: The trade of Jordan Staal means they have more ice available for an impact forward. Sidney Crosby could use a scoring winger. The Pens could be worried what the Rangers and Flyers would be like if they had Nash. Deal breaker could be Paul Martin. The Pens may have to move his salary in a deal, but the Blue Jackets seem to be looking for forwards over defenseman. It’s doubtful that Martin and prospects would be enough. San Jose Sharks: They are deep in forwards, and the Blue Jackets like Logan Couture. The Sharks don’t want to include Couture. Would the Sharks be willing to a accept a deal included Ryane Clowe instead of Couture?
- Gord Stellick via twitter: With Ryan Suter and Zach Parise going to the Wild and not a “top contender,” it has taken some heat off the better teams to not overpay for Rick Nash and Bobby Ryan.
- Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal: Willis wonders if the Flames would trade Jay Bouwmeester to the Oilers? Flames GM Jay Feaster:
“When all the dust settles after the first week of free agency, if there are teams still looking on their blueline, we’re going to get a lot of phone calls. I do believe that’s one of the things that will happen is that the trade market will open up.”
Pierre McGuire said that Bouwmeester would be a fit for the Oilers, and they may try to trade for him. Starting points for a deal could be Ales Hemsky, Ryan Whitney and Nick Schultz. The Flames are looking to shed salary, so Schultz would get the nod over Hemsky, and they would need some prospects. Sam Gagner is one possible player, but it’s hard to image the Oilers trade him within their division. Willis doesn’t think it will happen. Both sides would be worried that a deal could blow up in their faces.
Grossman not cleared yet … 2 or 3 weeks for Habs GM? Alfie to take some time … Could Bruins trade Thomas? Seguin needs surgery
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Flyers Nicklas Grossman said he hasn’t been cleared yet. Hopes to play on Sunday.
- Stu Hackel of Hockey Inisde/Out: Renaud Lavoie wrote that it’s possible that the Canadiens could have a new GM in place in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators Daniel Alfredsson will take some time deciding his future:
“I will see how I feel physically and mentally after taking some time off.”
“This year has been unbelievable. I’ve had a lot of fun. It’s been great to be part of a great group of guys. They kept me upbeat and happy when I’m a grumpy old man. They’ve made this year very enjoyable.”
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: Tim Thomas’s no-movement clause will expire on July 1st. Thomas has 1 year left on his 4 year, $20 million contract. Tuukka Rask will be a RFA on July 1st as well. If the Bruins were to move Thomas, Anton Khudobin would backup Rask if/when they re-sign him. If they moved Thomas’s $5 million cap hit, they could use the money elsewhere. Zach Parise will be a UFA, has played for Julien before, but may be looking for $7 million plus. Toronto, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Florida, Edmonton, and Columbus may be looking for goaltending help this summer. The Bruins may not get much return for Thomas due to age and contract, but would give the B’s cap relief.
- Fluto Shinzawa via twitter: Bruins Tyler Seguin needs surgery, likely on his left hand.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Maple Leafs have a couple firm offers on a number of players. They are getting interest in their 2nd line but nothing is imminent.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Wings are looking to add a decent-sized forward. GM Ken Holland has had some talks but wasn’t close t a deal as of yesterday afternoon. Holland is not looking for a depth defenseman.
“I’ve talked to a few managers today, but nothing’s really cooking,” Holland said. “There’s not a lot of players (available). Maybe things change in the next 18 or 24 hours. We’ll see. So many teams are in the playoff hunt.”
Sabres Paul Gaustad and Canadiens Travis Moen could be options. Other players available are Sammy Pahlsson, Steve Ott, Mike Knuble, Mikael Samuelsson, David Jones, Daniel Winnik and T.J. Galiardi.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Admits deals are long-shots, but lists 10 trades he’d like to see: 1. Ryan Getzlaf for Matt Frattin, Luke Schenn and a 1st round pick. 2. Roberto Luongo for Jacob Markstrom and a 1st round pick 3. James van Riemsdyk for Steve Ott and a 1st round pick. 4. Patrick Kane for Derek Roy and Andrej Sekera 5. Ryan Malone for Paul Martin 6. Rick Nash for Tyler Seguin and a 1st round pick 7. Alexander Semin for Ryan Ellis 8. Jonathan Bernier for Clark MacArthur and Joe Colborne 9. Lubomir Visnovsky for Andrew MacDonald and a 2nd round pick 10. Dustin Byfuglien for Erik Gudbranson and 1st round pick.