- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Posts Tagged Ville Leino
- Jeff Rimer via twitter: Looks like Blue Jackets Brandon Dubinsky will return to the lineup tonight. He’s missed the last 11 games.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals defenseman Tom Poti is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
- John Vogl via twitter: The Sabres won’t active Ville Leino today.
- Rich Chere via twitter: The Devils put defenseman Henrik Tallinder on the IR.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said that Martin Brodeur skated this morning but is still going to be out awhile with his sore back.
- New York Islanders via twitter: Islanders forward Michael Grabner and his shoulder injury will be re-evaluated in 7 to 10 days.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Prognosis on Bruins Chris Kelly’s knee injury won’t be known until the swelling goes down. Early reports are that there is no significant structural damage, but ”a) things sometime change in 24 hours b) he could still be on the shelf for undetermined period of time.”
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Blues Alex Steen is skating with David Backes and Chris Stewart. Indications are that he’ll be in the lineup tonight.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Blues Vladimir Tarasenko is skating with the team for the first time since suffering his concussion.
- Kevin McGran via twitter: McGran is thinking that Maple Leafs center Tyler Bozak could get between Ryan Getzlaf’s $8.25 million and Mikhail Grabovski’s $5.5 million.
- Chris Johnson via twitter: Getzlaf’s contract breakdown: $6.5 million next year then $8.75 million, $9.25 million, $9.25 million, $9.025 million, $8.95 million, $8.275 million and $6 million.
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: Sabres defenseman Andrej Sekera is not likely to play on Sunday. Forward Ville Leinois also out according to coach Ron Rolston.
“We’re just trying to get him back into practice and get him quality practice time,” Rolston said. “Really grinding, get him in more competitive situations. It will be close. I don’t know when. I would doubt Sunday but certainly next week a strong possibility.”
- Jim Mamieson of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks are hoping to get top prospect Nicklas Jensen playing with their AHL affiliate in Chicago. They need to get permission from the OHL’s Oshawa Generals, who hold his CHL rights.
- Jeremy Rutherford via twitter: Jake Allen will start in net for the Blues against the Sharks. Jaroslav Halak will start against the Ducks.
Injury notes: Lehtonen, Crawford, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski, Versteeg, Leino, Michalek, Brown and Gardiner
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen left last night’s game in the first period with a groin injury. He’s listed as day-to-day.
- Mark Lazerus via twitter: Blackhawks Corey Crawford is day-to-day with an upper body injury. Chris Kuc via twitter: Henrik Karlsson has been recalled.
- Ansar Khan via twitter: The Red Wings have put Todd Bertuzzi on the IR and have recalled Gustav Nyquist.
- Harvey Fialkov via twitter: Panthers Ed Jovanovski is out another 2 weeks.
- George Richards of the Miami Herald: Panthers Kris Versteeg is doubtful for today’s game with a upper-body soreness.
- John Vogl via twitter: Sabres Ville Leino on rehabbing his hip injury: ”You can’t take forever. At some point you’re just going to have to say if it doesn’t work out then there’s nothing much you can do about it.” Leino was comparing his rehab to (inevitable) surgery on his hip.
- Ken Warren via twitter: Senators Milan Michalek is out with a twisted knee. Ottawa Senators via twitter: Michalek won’t be available today, but he could play on Monday.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Maple Leafs activate Mike Brown from the IR. Jake Gardiner is also ready to be recalled but there is not plan to do so at the moment.
- Jason Gregor via twitter: Oilers Shawn Horcoff broke his knuckle and is out long-term.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: Sabres Ville Leino’s hip is not improving and coach Lindy Ruff is worried that he may not play at all unless another treatment can help.
“This latest treatment option we hope will work,” Ruff said. “Surgery is always the the end of the line. You go to a surgeon, he’s going to recommend surgery. That’s just the way it goes.”
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Islanders Radek Martinek had an MRI yesterday for an abdominal injury. Likely to go on IR to make room for Bailey.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said that Carl Gunnarsson had an MRI on his hip. No muscular damage, but needs rest and treatment.
- Helene St. James via twitter: Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith is out 3 to 4 weeks with a sprained shoulder.
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes Matthew Lombardi skated yesterday morning for the first time since his injury.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Vincent Lecavalier is playing in his 1,000th game today. He’s the 5th former #1 pick to play 1,000 games with his drafting team. Mike Modano, Gilbert Perreault, Denis Potvin and Chris Phillips are the 4 other players.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: The Panthers trade forward Jean-Francois Jacques to the Lightning for future considerations.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The LA Kings put Anthony Stewart on waivers. Canucks put Jim Vandermeer on waivers.
- Chuck Gormley via twitter: Capitals Jack Hillen and Brooks Laich are not practicing today. Katie Carrera via twitter: The Capaitals have recalled defenseman Tomas Kundratek from the AHL. Hillen to the IR and is week-to-week.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs Jake Gardiner said he feels 100% and he hope to be back in the lineup later this week.
- Dave Isaac via twitter: The Flyers have recalled Tye McGinn to replace Zac Rinaldo for tomorrow’s game.
- Tim Wharnsby via twitter: Blues defenseman Wade Redden isn’t expected to play tonight against the Predators.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: Sabres Ville Leino is skating with the extras, he’ll be out again tonight.
- ESPN: Sabres Ville Leino missed yesterday’s game against the Flyers and is day to day with a lower-body injury. The Sabres play the Maple Leafs tonight.
- Frank Seravalli via twitter: Flyers Zac Rinaldo took 20 stitches above his right knee. Not known if he’ll be available for Tuesday.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Ducks Cam Fowler (out with the flu) practiced yesterday. Expects to play today against the Flames.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson is “questionable” for their game against the Blue Jackets after slamming into the boards, hurting his right shoulder. Goalie Jonas Gustavsson has a sore groin and the Wings will call up Tom McCollum. Jan Mursak will go on the IR with a collarbone injury to make room on the roster for McCollum. Mursak will have a CT scan tomorrow, and he could be out a couple weeks. If Bertuzzi’s test reveal he has mono, he’ll be out a month. If it’s the flu, he’ll be out a week. Patrick Eaves, who has been out for more than a year with a concussion, said “I’m ready to go.”
- Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune: Blackhawks winger Daniel Carcillo will be out about 4 weeks after suffering a right knee injury on Saturday. It was Carcillo’s first game since have major surgery on his left knee last January. Brandon Saad will replace Carcillo in the lineup, and could be on a line with Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa.
Written by Domenic Caruso and can be found on twitter at @D_Caruso
On February 23, 2011 the Buffalo Sabres were purchased by local owner Terry Pegula. He promised a change in Buffalo and claimed the days of not spending money were over. The change in ownership brought extreme optimism and hope for the future. Finding themselves out of a playoff spot, the Sabres stormed back with a 16-4-4 record and qualified as the 7th seed in the Eastern Conference. In the playoffs they were 1 goal away from eliminating the 2nd seated Philadelphia Flyers in game 6; only to have future Sabre Ville Leino score the overtime winner.
That summer the Buffalo Sabres lead by GM Darcy Regier made a huge splash in free agency by signing Ville Leino (6yrs/$27 million) and Christian Ehrhoff (10yrs/$40 million). They then traded for Robyn Regehr and re-signed two young core players in Tyler Myers (7yrs/$38.5 million) and Drew Stafford (4yrs/$16 million). They entered the 2011/2012 NHL season having the 2nd highest payroll among all teams
Fast forward to Feb 23rd 2012; with 22 games left in the regular season, the Buffalo Sabres find themselves 12th in the Eastern Conference, 6 points out of a playoff spot and their next two games are against eastern conference leaders the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers; not exactly where they envisioned themselves when they spent over $120 million dollars in a summer filled with promise and hope.
Afternoon notes on Backstrom, Madden, Phillips, Orr, Carcillo, Blackhawks, Devils, Sabres and starting goalies
- Brian McNally via twitter: Capitals coach Dale Hunter said that Niklas Backstrom is day-to-day and is still being evaluated.
- George Richards via twitter: The Panthers have officially signed center John Madden.
- Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen: Senators defenseman Chris Phillips is out with a concussion. “We’re going to be hopeful that it’s short term and it’s being evaluated and it appears to be a mild one, but it depends on him,” said MacLean.
- David Alter via twitter: The Maple Leafs have placed Colton Orr on waivers. Jonas Siegel via twitter: Orr will be assigned to the Marlies if he clears.
- Tim Sassone via twitter: The Blackhawks have recalled Andrew Shaw and Dylan Olsen and have put Steve Montador and Marcus Kruger on the IR.
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: Blackhawks forward Daniel Carcillo has waived his right for an in person hearing.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov won’t play tonight. Andy Greene (broken toe) is at least 2 more weeks away. Rich Chere via twitter: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello on Travis Zajac: “We’re just going to rest him. He has a little soreness and we don’t want to take any chances.”
- John Vogl via twitter: The Sabres could be getting Tyler Myers, Ville Leino and Tyler Ennis back this weekend. Myers is hoping for Friday, Leino is shooting for Saturday.
- Terry Koshan via twitter: Jonas Gustavsson will start in net for the Leafs against the Jets.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Ray Emery will start in net for the Blackhawks against the Flyers.
- Curtis Zupke via twitter: Jonas Hiller will start for the Ducks against the Sharks.
Carcillo to have hearing … Blue Jackets on rumors … Semin out, Green in … RNH out at least 2-3 games … Pitkanen out 4 weeks … Sabres notes
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Daniel Carcillo will be hearing from the NHL, logistics for either a conference call or in-person hearing are being worked out.
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: The Flames have put Raitis Ivanans on re-entry waivers. The Canucks have put Byron Bitz on waivers.
- Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch: Blue Jackets RJ Umberger on rumors:
“It’s nerve-racking coming to the rink and not knowing what is going on,” forward R.J. Umberger said. “It’s a lot of extra tension.”
Derick Brassard on trade rumors:
“It kind of plays in your head all the time if your name is out there,” Brassard said. “But it’s something you can’t control. If you don’t (block it out), you’re waiting for it, and if it doesn’t happen, you’re disappointed.”
Umberger added trades are harder for older players as they don’t want to uproot their families.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Capitals forward Alexander Semin won’t play tonight, and that they will go with 7 Dmen. Brian McNally via twitter: Mike Green will make his return to the lineup.
- David Staples via twitter: Staples thinks that if the Oilers make a trade, they should trade for 2014 or 2015 option to swap 1st round picks with a fading team.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is still waiting to be examined, He’ll be out at least 2-3 games. Tom Gilbert will be out tonight.
- Philadelphia Flyers via twitter: Flyers winger Jaromir Jagr has a mild left groin strain and is out for 7 to 10 days.
- John Buccigross via twitter: Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen had surgery on his left knee, and is expected to be out for 4 weeks.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning forward Ryan Malone will be out tonight with a lower body injury.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Maple Leafs coach guesses that Colby Armstrong is 7 to 10 days away from returning to the lineup.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: Sabress forward Ville Leino thinks he might be able to play on Saturday. Defenseman Tyler Myers joined the morning skate today. Sabres coach Lindy Ruff is optimistic that forward Jason Pominville (flu) will play tonight. Brad Boyes status is unknown as he suffered a stinger to his ankle. Ryan Miller will start in net against Nikolai Khabibulin.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Looks like a Jonas Gustavsson – Mathieu Garon goalie match-up.
Waters says Leafs trading for Staal, but Rutherford not interested in trading him … Injury notes on Skinner, Pitkanen, Pronger, Schenn, Leino and Green
- Chemmy of Pension Plan Puppets: XM radio personality, Bill Waters (formerly on AM 640 in Toronto), claimed yesterday that the Maple Leafs and Hurricanes had a trade in place involving Eric Staal, but the deal is on hold because of Brian Burke’s Christmas roster freeze (10 days before the NHL roster freeze). Waters claims the deal will be complete after the roster freeze. Bob McKenzie via twitter: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford: “I have no interest whatsoever in trading Eric Staal or Cam Ward. That’s not going to happen.”
- Allen Walsh via twitter: Walsh spoke with an NHLer that currently has a concussion, who said that one of the reasons there are so many players with concussions is that they are now being diagnosed. Several years ago players would play with concussions, as they didn’t know what they were. Players would play with headaches and dizziness.
- Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes Jeff Skinner and Joni Pitkanen are both out indefinitely after it was confirmed that they both have concussions.
- Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly: Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger met with neurologists yesterday. No update on his status was given, but one should be coming today.
- Tim Pacanccio of CSNPhilly: Flyers forward Brayden Schenn was wearing a no contact jersey yesterday at practice. It was his first full practice since suffering a concussion on Dec. 3rd. He said he’s making progress and feeling better, but still suffers relapses. Schenn is still in a walking boot from his fractured foot when not in skates.
“The test is exercise and if [symptoms] come back, you have to take a step back,” he said. “You hope to keep progressing. When I’m out there I feel good. I can’t really tell until later when I’m laying in bed.”
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: Harrington speculates that Ville Leino’s lower-body injury is some sort of knee or foot injury. He’ll be out several weeks. Also out for the Sabres are: Patrick Kaleta (may play Friday), Tyler Myers, Brad Boyes, Nathan Gerbe, Jochen Hecht and Corey Tropp.
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Capitals defenseman Mike Green is expected to join the Capitals in Colorado later this week.
“It’s longer than we expected, unfortunately, but it was a significant injury,” McPhee said in a one-on-one interview with The Post. “It’s a groin injury and those things, they’re hard to heal quickly and know when – you just don’t know when you’re going to be ready.”
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Capitals Jay Beagle and Matt Hendricks will travel with the team. Beagle still hasn’t been cleared for contact yet after suffering a concussion on Oct. 13th. Hendricks is still day-to-day with a knee injury, but is getting close. Yesterday’s lines at practice: Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin, Brouwer-Johansson-Halpern, Chimera-Laich-Ward, Eakin/Hendricks-Perreault-Knuble.
- Jason Botchford via twitter: Cory Schneider will start for the Canucks against the Hurricanes. Roberto Luongo will start against the Maple Leafs.
Afternoon notes on both Michalek’s, Leino, Visnovsky, Chara, Hall, Green, Miettinen, Zidlicky and starting goalies
- Brent Wallace via twitter: Senators Milan Michalek is out with a concussion. Ian Mendes via twitter: Coach MacLean on Michalek: “I don’t think it’s going to ruin his year, much like the other major injuries he’s had in the past.” Michalek had a concussion in January of 2010 and missed 7 games.
- Bill Hoppe via twitter: Sabres Ville Leino is out weeks with a lower-body injury.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky (broken finger) could be ready for tonight’s game against the Coyotes.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara said he “most likely will not” be in the lineup against the Senators. He’ll be a game time decision though.
- Derek Van Diest of the Edmonton Sun: Oilers forward Taylor Hall will return to the lineup on Thursday.
- Brian McNally via twitter: Capitals defenseman Mike Green is expected to join the Capitals sometime on their road trip.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: Penguins defenseman Zbynek Michalek hopes to play on Friday.
- Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press: The Jets are hoping to have Antti Miettinen in the lineup on Saturday.
- Michael Russo via twitter: Wild defenseman Marek Zidlicky expects to be in the lineup. PM Bouchard could be out.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Justin Peters cleared re-entry waivers.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Niklas Backstrom will start in net for the Wild against the Blackhawks. Ray Emery will start for the Blackhawks.